• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hopkins & Allen pistol information

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeep.p.s.

32 Cal.
Reaction score
As I mentioned in another thread, my wife just picked up a Hopkins & Allen .45 cal percussion pistol at a rendezvous. It shoots great except for the terrible trigger pull.

I am trying to find some information on it & so far I haven't turned up anything on H&A let alone this particular pistol.

The pistol has a 10 inch barrel & has 'kentucky' stamped on it in addition to the H&A info. I assume that is the model name.

Any info on H&A or the pistol would be very appreciated.

I have a Hopkins & Allen .45 caplock pistol I assembled from a kit nearly 30 years ago. Has a terrible trigger pull and awful accuracy. Haven't fired it in years. Mine says "made in Spain" on the barrel. graybeard

Yeah, it sounds like the same pistol.

I definitely need to do something to improve the trigger. As far as accuracy, the first 2 (& only 2, my wife shot the rest of the 8 balls I had) I put in the 8 ring at 12 yards. My wife did shoot it better than she shot my .40 cal XD semi, though.

Do you know if they made any of these more recently than 30 years ago? Mine has a few minor rust spots on the barrel, which I guess wouldn't be too bad for a 30 year old gun.

Also, do any of you think that a .445 ball with a .015 patch would be too hard to load? I haven't been able to find any more in .440 yet & haven't tried the .445 yet, either.

Mine was very hard to load so I went to .433 balls. I shot it a lot the first couple of years and didn't know about cleaning the lock. When I finally pulled it it was a mess. But the trigger pull always was lousy. I never could find a ball/patch/load that showed any accuracy at all. :confused: I still carry it once in a while at a rondy, but don't shoot it any more. sorry I can't be more help. graybeard

this is what i did to mine drilled and reamed it to .50cal smooth cut it to 6" and call it a belly gun :thumbsup:
100_1492.jpg

I've gone back thru Gun Digest ect back till 1975 and havent found a word about this one????? Fred :hatsoff:

two belly GREAT IDEA :thumbsup: and a :bow: Fred :hatsoff: Love it when someone makes some changes to everyday guns Im going to send my time left on doing some of the 200 changes made on the "pocket Colts" of 1862! Sam hisself said the Trapper was the best he ever made NOW try and find one...... UBT at VTI has the barrel and ..

check out dixie gun works in union city tenn-they a specialized antique catalog you can get from them.

Will do I need some 36cal barrels and cyls for both of the Colt 1862s Fred :hatsoff:

Back