• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hot buttered rum

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Thom

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had hot buttered rum a few years ago and it was great. anyone got a good recipe for how to make it?

Seems like just offered this, but here it is again: couple ounces of dark (like Meyers) rum in a mug. Put in a restaurant-sized pat of butter, two cloves and a cinnamon stick. Fill er up with boiling cider, stir with the cinnamon stick and sip away. Be careful. It is very smooth, but hits like a tomahawk. :D graybeard

I usually get "talked" into making it on our colder events. I do the following:

1/2 bottle of cheap dark rum
Equal amount water
1 stick sweet butter
1/2 cone of muscavado sugar OR
1 cake maple sugar
1/4 pint of maple syrup (REAL!)

heat water add Rum, add syrup, sugar and butter

stir till all melted and hot but DONT boil.

ITs gooooooood :thumbsup: on the chilly nights, and will sneak up on ya, thats why its best shared. Hope you like it.

Respectfully,

Wes Olson

We always use molasses instead of syrup and leave out the sugar.

To each his own!

Just heat this enough to blend. At 160 degrees the alcahol cooks out.

This stuff sneeks up on you. One minute you are fine, the next instant you are flat on your back inspecting the constilations and trying to remember when you laid down!
:rotf:

In my experience you lay down right after your last swallow! zzzzzzzzzzzzonk! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Soaring Spirit
Don't take life so seriously, it isn't permanent

Works best when made one coffeepot at a time. That is the traditional transport device. You see someone walking through camp with their steaming coffeepot on a cold night they probably are not carrying hot chocolate!

Like Wes said, best when shared.

:rotf:

I read a recipe a few years ago that included a hot iron poker (mulling iron?) It was said that this really added to the flavor. Have never tried making any. Does anyone know if it is indeed a mulling iron? and where one might be found? Just curious.

I make a cup of strong, sweetend tea, add some milk, butter and rum. Pretty easy.

The mulling iron is correct!

By heating the iron and dipping it into the rum mix, the hot iron not only heats the drink but carmelizes the molassess/sugars that are touching the hot iron as it goes in. This imparts a really great flavor to the drink.

Had it that way at Fort King George last weekend! The only way to heat it!!! :winking:

Jim aka kiltiemon

Kiltiemon said:
By heating the iron and dipping it into the rum mix, the hot iron not only heats the drink but carmelizes the molassess/sugars that are touching the hot iron as it goes in. This imparts a really great flavor to the drink.
I love this place! Always learning something new! Many thanks! :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back