• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How accurate can I expect my flint lock to be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well ya got a bunch of good answers here, I've just started on flints after pc's since 1971, so I'll give ya my 2 cents....how good can you shoot? 2nd ya need good sights, and last work up a good load as in any MLer. I'm not as good as Paul and some of the rest you'll find on here, BUT I shot 1000 yard and was pretty good at it, never missed what I was trying to kill with the first shot ( never ). You'll shoot that flint as well as any rifle and go with a fullstock. Fred :hatsoff:

My 54 Lyman flinter 3 shots off the bench at 50 yds.

2280592292_05a9122a34_m.jpg

I have been involved in this lifestyle for 4+yrs now, the first 2yrs were spent shooting cap guns. I built a flinter with the help of a local builder and at this point in time I am a better shot with a flinter than I ever was with a cap gun. Thing is I sold all my personal cap guns when my flinter was completed so as to force myself to learn to shoot it, I would not go back to shooting cap guns.
I average in the top 2 to 5 percent overall in matches with my flint continually harassing the 20yr veteran cap shooters around our area.

If you are willing to put the time and effort into shooting a good quality flintlock then it is just as accurate as you are.

My first build was a .36 flintlock in 1976. I put my money in a good Douglas barrel, a good Ashmore lock from Dixie, custom made set triggers and sights. The rest of the parts I bought cheep.
I shot this gun exclusively for 25 years and had good results after I learned the gun. I have shot one raged hole (11 shots off hand 25 yards) and I have missed the whole target but it was me that missed not the gun. Pretty is nice but quality punches holes where you point them.

As we can all see from the above post there is a humungous difference in accuracy between 25 yards and 50 yards.... :wink: :wink:

The thread started with the question how accurate is a flintlock? Obviously that varies but I regularly shoot my 54 cal Lyman fifty yards to within 2 inches (ie basically ragged hole with those .54's), that is 5-6 shot groups, offhand. Offhand.... I do not have a gun I can shoot better than this.

I am confident I could take just about any animal in North America with my 54 cal flintlock using good 'ole round ball. 2 inch zone at 50 yards will achieve the shot placement anyone would need. And those 54 cal round balls over 90 grains of powder do some carnage.

So although people may say, they shoot "good". It appears from all who have shot flintlocks that word "good" should be underlined with an exclamation point... :thumbsup:

Stumpkiller, if it don't shoot no better than that kin I have it? :confused: Huh huh huh huh????? :hatsoff:

Ummmm? No. ;-)

I admit, she shoots better than I can. I had to cheat and sit my butt on the ground and rest my elbows on my knees for that target. I'm pretty good from that "stance" and over the years have ended the careers of maybe thousands of woodchucks so rested.

I give a lot of credit to guys who shoot from benches. I'd be so wored out from dragging one of those into the woods I don't think I could shoot for all the muscle shakes I'd be having.

As to flintlock accuracy - if you can give yourself up for dead and squeeze slowly then follow-through without flinching you're home free.

if you can give yourself up for dead and squeeze slowly then follow-through without flinching you're home free.

Thats the closest description I have yet to see in print that explains the trance of accurate shooting. :hatsoff: :wink:

Going back to the very first post on this thread the question was asked, "What would be a good choice if accuracy was the main consideration?"

Although I really like my 54 cal, if accuracy and NOTHING else was the consideration I'd have to recommend a lower caliber. Also a longer barrel.

Track of the wolf has many nice looking gun (kits) but I have not bought any from Track yet so I cannot speak to the accuracy of a specific gun kit from Track.

Would you consider a peep site on this gun? If yes---and since accuracy is your main requirement---I would vote for a peep sight, too. If NOT that is fine too. I find at 50 yards I shoot my Lyman with the iron sights it came with (horn rear and blade front) as good as I can shoot the gun with a peep sight added. (almost ragged hole).

I have a 40 & 50 cal flintlock and they are every bit ass accurate as custom percussion in 45 cal. I prefer my flint over percussion in fun to shoot. As a matter of fact my percussion broke down in a rendezvous and I took both percussoin events with my 50 flintlock, all off hand.

Golden--- Terrific post!!! Yes and it seems all of us who start with percussion and then try flintlock are not as intersted as going back to percussion after flintlocks win us over.. And yes I find I shoot my flinter as good or better than any non scoped gun I own in any caliber and in any laod type. Shoot a flintlock---spoils you for anything else.

My kit is in the style of J.P. Beck. It's my first one as reported so it's a learn-as-I-go project. I'm having a heck of a time inletting that octagon barrel! Especially the top side flats. I ordered a Rice barrel. After seeing all of the replies to my question I feel much better about my choice. Besides, a flintlock just seems to have so much more character. Modern guns seem utterly simple and boring compared to these old styles.

Back