• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How accurate can patched round ball be?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible to have a patched round ball rifle shoot 1" groups at 100 yards?
Yep. Not every day, but when things are right it can be done have more than one gun that shoot better than I can usually see
1604635755367.jpeg

Consistently with open sights from a bench I seriously doubt it. Sandbags and a concrete bench with a modern optic mounted on it? Pretty sure it could be done by a combo a few rifles with a the top world class marksman.

Yes and some (rifles and shooters) can do it with regularity.

Muzzleloaders with patched balls can be every bit as accurate as modern cartridge rifles, better than some, not as good as others, depends on the rifle. Plenty of documentation out there on competitions etc., and here in the forum as well.

Chunk gunners and their rifles routinely shoot one hole groups from their rested position.

Even the finest muzzle loader front sights cover up so much more than an inch on a target at 100 yards. Most of us can't see well enough to see a postage stamp at 100 yards. If a PBR load can be made to group consistently into an inch at 100 yards it won't be done by mortal man, or if done by a mortal man he'll be using modern benchrest technique and glass sights.

Stewart Edward White was reputed to be one of the finest rifle shots of his day. It's said he could consistently shoot four-inch groups at 100 yards, but he did it with a 30'06 Springfield sporter using the best sights then available. Some here claim they can do better with their smoke pole but I'm of the opinion they are just blowing smoke up a nicely browned barrel.

I have my 100 yard sight in set so I can hold at the low 6 position.
And I use a printed target with a 2" bright red center circle.
When aiming, I just hold the red spot center at sunrise about the front sight.
That does help, and you dont have the front sight covering your target up.
I have managed a few groups of 3" at 100 off a sandbag with my Pedersoli Frontier. Plenty close enough to drop a buck at 100 yards.

The iron sight issue does not hold water. A good high power shooter can shot MOA with iron (peep) sights. The NRA MR-31C (100 yard reduced slow fire prone) target has a 1.6" 10 ring and a 0.7" X-ring. The best shooters can clean this target.

Off hand groups are irrelevant here.

Thanks for the reply guys. I’m used to shooting cartridge rifles so I’m getting a feel for what muzzle loaders are capable of.

Latest posts

Back