• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you count antler points...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokehouseman

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Was curious as to how you counted antler points in your part of the country.

DSC_1432.jpg

How many points would you count on this set of antlers? Is this a 3x3, a 6 point, a 7 point? Do you count the brow tine as a point?

smokehouseman said:

DSC_1432.jpg

How many points would you count on this set of antlers? Is this a 3x3, a 6 point, a 7 point? Do you count the brow tine as a point?

Here in the West; we count the ONE side with the most points (anything you can hang a ring on) this pic is a 4 point.

Well I'll offer a different opinion from Wattsy on how we count them out here on the left coast. That deer would be a 3 X 3. The brow tine would not be counted.

Scott

Where I came from in Canada that would be a 3 point. The brow tines were never counted. Technically a 3x3 but we only used the term if there were more tines on one side than the other. In Texas that is a 7 pointer as long as the brow tine is over 1 inch.

When I first moved here I was telling about a very large 6 point buck I had taken in 1994. I couldn't figure why no one was impressed. :shake: In Texas he would have been a 14 pointer.

I know a lot guys like to say if a ring hangs on it, it's a point. Being a measure'er for NBBC I'd like to point out all the record keeping books such as Boone and Crockett, Pope and Young, etc a point must be no less than an inch tall. I know some do not care about that fact, thats fine, just relaying a fact for those who might care. :v

Having lived in the West most of my life I'm more accustomed to having the lower number of points on one side being the count and seldom the brow tine is counted except at times in the attempt to emphasis the "MONSTER BUCK" everything is counted and reported as a point more often the exception though. Out here on Kodiak Island around the community where I live our Sitka Black Tail deer are typically small deer whereas a large deer is over l00 lbs., this season I know of at least two deer that were reported over 200 lbs. I saw the rack on one of the deer and it had 2 points on one side and 3 on the other side with small brow tines but the girth of the antler were massive. Idaho Ron posted some pictures of a deer he took this season that looked like elk antlers compared to our deer....... most impressive! I'm still in a holding pattern to draw first blood with my new to me TC Big Boar, just about one week remaining.

It is just another 3 Point. Don't understand why you would count both sides? On top of that argue about any splinters you find? Must be a Flatlander thing. :rotf:

It would be a 3 pt in my native Washington (State of) but would be called a 6 or 7 point here in TX I think :thumbsup:

Down here in the south we try not to shoot the real big ones thay way we dont have to take off our shoes to count all of them.

smokehouseman said:

DSC_1432.jpg

That would be a 3 point by Oregon standards, and a 3x3 for all the folks that only get out in the once in a great while and need to outdo their "posse" members!
(sort of like the"pair of jacks/10 high***pair of jacks/ace high*** still just a pair of jacks)

Brow tines not counted. Like testicles, every buck has them!

The eastern count method has never been a problem for me, I can divide most numbers under 12 by 2 real easy!

In eastern SD that would be a 4x3, western SD that would be a 3 pointer. Seems like we have as many 6x4 10 points as 5x5s. I've even seen a few 4x8 and 5x7 12 points so we go with the more descriptive term. In the west they often don't count brow tines because mullies don't always grow them or they are just little nubs.
I feel if the buck is good enough to grow em we can at least count em. :)

Tim

The brow tine is not counted here in the west as mentioned before, but if measuring for the record book the tines are counted.

Same here in Pennsylvania and New York. We count everything over 1 inch. I have shot some goofy antlered bucks in the past. Those usually require more explanation. Few years ago I got a real nice 6pt. That was a 5X1 not a 3X3. A standard 3X3 in Pa is really a fork horn with brow tines. In my zones it only has to have 3 points to an antler to be a legal buck. 1 of those 3 points can be the brow tine as long as its over 1 inch.

Yearling bucks, or " spike bucks" rare have more than a fork in their antlers. No brow tines. They are only six months old. Sometimes, they are referred to a " button bucks", because there is barely a "button " appearing above the fur on the head. I have shot two yearlings that Had NO antlers appearing above the fur- and no bumps on the skull. I thought both were 1 1/2 year old does! and only shot them because I thought they would be good eating.

At 1 1/2 year old, you begin to see forked antlers, and BROW tines. How many points depends on the diet of the area, as well as water supply. What is distinctive about these racks is that they almost always grow straight up on the main shaft. I have seen small 6 point bucks at 1 1/2 years( with small point, and small brow tines.)

At 2 1/2 years, you begin to see larger racks with the longer main beams. The number of points can be from 4 to 10, typically. I have seen these aged deer with antlers that branch straight upward, and also racks that branch out beyond the ears before sending up tine.

at 3 1/2 years- an old buck in most Eastern states-- you see heavy racks, wide beams, and long tines. This is the prime age for growing antlers on White Tail bucks East of the Mississippi.

At 4 1/2 years, the teeth begin showing the wearing of grinding corn, and the nutrition the buck is getting may begin to fail. In areas with lots of sand in the soil, the corn carries silica with it, and that wears down the teeth faster. You will see broad beams, long times, but you also begin seeing those " gnarly" bumps growing on the beams, and brow tines. You may see "drop " tines coming down off the main beams. These bucks often sport " Christmas Tree Racks", with a number of small tines on each antler. I counted 29 tines on one such animal that were an inch or more.

5 1/2 to 12 1//2 year old bucks are hard to come by, but occasionally are taken. The oldest are thin in body, low in body weight, and probably living their last season on earth. The teeth are worn to the gums. Aging is done accurately by examining the growth rings in the teeth. The Racks may be Gnarly Christmas trees, or smallish wide beamed, short-tined examples, that are a shadow of what that same buck grew a few years before.

When I was a deer checker, I found no correlation between number of points on a rack and age at this level of aging. At all ages, you can find deer that have been injured, in fights, with other bucks, or by falls, or by banging their own antlers against trees to get rid of the itchy " velvet", that break off tines, or points from the rack. Once in awhile, you find a deer that has ONLY one Antler growing, and evidence of an injury early in the growth season that year. I had a small buck brought in that had most of one antler shot off by another hunter.

We now have bucks taken here down on the flats that weigh 300 lbs, and more. Some are now approaching 400 lbs. live weight. That is putting the White Tail deer closer in body weight to Mule Deer. However, along the coasts, and down South, where good nutrition is often lacking, a mature buck may not weigh 100 lbs., and may not stand taller than a medium sized dog. All are " Whitetails", however. The size of the animal, and the majesty of its rack has everything to do with diet and nutrition, along with its ability to survive long enough.

Land owners and hunters can help the situation by planting food plots, and supplying water, and mineral blocks for the deer. That is what a lot of South Texas Ranchers are doing to grow larger deer to attract urban deer hunters willing, and able to pay large sums to kill a buck with a respectable rack. The ranches often make more money hosting deer hunters, than they can raising cattle, particularly in the dry years.

Thats a 7 point, one point is counted as one point,B and C, P and Y , Records of exotics, Safari club International, anyone worth their salt count them as such. Anthing over an inch counts.

Back