• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How do you count antler points...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While true, Mule deer and Blacktail are typically refered to as 4x3 or 3x3, etc. If it's 4 on each side, most westerners simply refer to it as a 4 point. Along the same lines, would you refer to a an elk with 6 on each side as a 12 point? No, it's a 6x6, or a 6 point. :grin:

B&C and P&Y don't list antlers by number of points per side, they are listed by total inches (score). They record # of points on each side, but they go by score.

I've never understood the total points count. Must a be a flatlander thing. :wink: :blah: :grin:

I've never understood the total points count. Must a be a flatlander thing. :wink: :blah: :grin:

Well I'm not ashamed to be a flat lander or that I was taught math in school. :wink: :blah:

tg said:
The brow tine is not counted here in the west as mentioned before, but if measuring for the record book the tines are counted.

This has always puzzled me!Out here on the left coast we don't count all points, and never the brow tines, unless going into the record books :hmm:

On a deer, is a one with four legs called a 2x2 or two legged deer? Should we count both ears?

If I told a friend from back east, I killed a one eyed, one eared , two legged, three point buck, he would be ashamed of me :rotf:

I wonder how this all came about anyway! Did some poorly educated Mountain man see a Mule deer for the first time with......"say" five on each side, and unable to count to ten, just told his bud's he saw a 5 point or 5X5?

Where is Paul when you really need him? :surrender:

Actually I think you will find Teddy Roosavelt had something to do with having a scoring system devised. He didn't come up with it himself but I believe he was instrumental in it coming about.

have a friend who is a certified Boone and Crockett and Pope and Young rack scorer that I could ask WHY there is a different count out West?
I just never actually cared enough before to ask the question of anyone! I am not sure Jim knows! He might. I will send him an email. Paul

4x3 in Colorado terms

smokehouseman said:
Was curious as to how you counted antler points in your part of the country.

DSC_1432.jpg

How many points would you count on this set of antlers? Is this a 3x3, a 6 point, a 7 point? Do you count the brow tine as a point?

This is also called a 6x6 in Colorado - New Mexico language,
targetpoint.jpg

And a small 5x5,
Deer003.jpg

I got an email back from my friend. He has never been told why there are different methods for counting tines on deer, either. He does confirm that the so-called " Eastern Count" is used to determine total points for both Boone and Crockett, and Young and Pope Record books, regardless of where the animal is taken in the USA and elsewhere.

I just googled the issue, and could not find any information explaining why there are different " systems" of counting tines. :( :surrender: :thumbsup:

While the popular way to count in the west is to not count the eye guards I always count them. On my deer this year I said my deer was a 5x6 with eye guards. This gives the person I am telling this to the idea what the deer looks like, and it has eye guards. B&C call the eye guards G1's. A deer without G1's suffers a loss in measurments. Both the H1 and H2 are measured in the smallest place between the burr and the G2. To not count the eye guards in talking to other hunters is not giving the full detail. Ron

Goldhunter said:

well, where I come from up here in NH, we count 'em all, so that's a 7 to us...but we don't have ANY flat land around here in the white mountains - or across the river in the green mountains of vermont, either! unless you call the straight up & downs of mountainsides as flats that are just standing on their edges. maybe that's a western thing, like not counting all the points LOL

nay, now your talking a mountain thing. You really call those things you have out there mountains?? :grin: :blah:

Me thinks the most precise type of description to convey the number of points w/o further explanation is eg...5x6 which would include the brow tines. Both the eastern count of total points {7 pointer}and the western count of the side w/ the most points {4 pointer} need further explanation to be accurate. Regional differences asre point count stubbornly and illogically persist even in the face of inaccuracy...Fred

Haq Ha Goldhunter, just 'cuz our mountains ain't as tall as yours, don'y mean thay ain't just as steep!

:haha: This all reminds me of my days of hunting Vermont back in mid 70's to mid 80's. I had a sweat shirt made up that said "Born and raised on Flat Land", was a big hit in the local bar up there. :haha:

Ya, it seems each region is just as stubborn as the other.

Actually I usually use the 5x6 type description but I usually forget the browtines. But that's how I was taught also.

flehto said:
Me thinks the most precise type of description to convey the number of points w/o further explanation is eg...5x6 which would include the brow tines. Both the eastern count of total points {7 pointer}and the western count of the side w/ the most points {4 pointer} need further explanation to be accurate. Regional differences asre point count stubbornly and illogically persist even in the face of inaccuracy...Fred

Alright, as long as you're going for accuracy......when you say 5x6, are you saying that there are 5 points on the left side & 6 points on the right side? If so, when there was 6 points on the left side & 5 points on the right side would you call it a 6x5? :wink:

It really depends on whether the buck or bull is facing away or facing towards you as to 6x5 or 5x6 and if he's a quartering shot, then he's a 6x5x5x6 and if he's quartering the other direction, then he's a 5x6x6x5, etc. I hope my explanation helps to answer your query :grin: ....Fred

Back