• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

how do you get the ball out?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muzzman

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Im new to bp huntin and guns so i was wonderin how do you get the ball out after a hunt, i know theres a special tool that you twist or sumthin like that i think.How do you do this?

Why not jest "shoot" it out at day's end, the shot certainly won't bother any critters in the woods????

YMHS
rollingb

Rollingb's advice is the simplest and easiest; However, if you're in a situationwhere you can't shoot the load out, there's two things you can do: 1) after removing the cap from your gun's nipple, you can pull the ball out with a tool called a "screw". A screw is just what it sounds like, a screw (looks like a wood srew) that can be attached to the threaded end of a ramrod. Lower the ramrod down the barrel until it stops against the ball, then apply a fair amount of downward pressure on the ramrod (hold the ramrod as close to the muzzle as you can so it doesn't break!) and begin threading the screw into the ball (clockwise). It's just like trying to drive a screw into a pice of wood with a screwdriver. Once you feel the screw tighten into the ball, start pulling on the ramrod while holding the gun tightly between your legs or having a buddy hold it. DO NOT EVER STAND DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THE MUZZLE WHILE DOING THIS! This is the hard way. 2) The easy way is to buy a kit (Cabela's sells them as well as others) that has a CO2 cartridge with an attachment that allows you to blow the compressed gas through the nipple hole and expel the ball that way. The screw method destroys the ball, since it leaves a big nasty threaded hole in it. I don't know about the CO2 method as I've never used it. If you choose to use the screw method, I'd also invest in a ramrod puller from Track of the Wolf, as it makes the whole operation much easier. Here's a link: http://www.trakofthewolf.com/

P.S. Here's a couple examples of screws.
ball-puller_1.jpg

muzzman,
i to either fire it off or if i will be hunting the next day just de-cap and i'm ready to go the next day. :m2c:
snake-eyes :peace: :) :thumbsup:

I've had to pull a ball once, and used a ball screw . After screwing it into the ball, I taped a nylon cord to the rod.
I then tied the cord around a tree, and then holding the rifle, just backed away from the tree. The ball came right out, and I didn't even shoot the tree ::.....Logger

Open up the bolster on a percussion rifle, and submerse it or the touchhole on a flinter in warm water, until all the powder comes out. Now take on of those screws and put it on the end of a range rod. Chuck the rod into a vise, and pull on the rifle. :yakyak:

Don't load your rifle until you see an animal to shoot. Then at the end of the day, if you have not had a shot, the rifle will already be unloaded. Your hunt will also be much safer, using an unloaded gun.

:results:

Rat

Excellent idea!! :thumbsup: .... "cost effective" and "labor save'n" ta'boot!! :redthumb: ::

YMHS
rollingb

Get a co2 ball dispenser. Black powder is only corrosive after it has been fired so using the co2 saves having to clean the gun. If you aim at a hard surface the co2 is powerful enough to dent or deform the ball or conical. One trouble with the screw is that the ball MAY turn as you are trying to put the screw in it. In any event the co2 is worth the price. :D

Back