• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How does one Bark a squirrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried barking one once. Probably won't ever do that again. The squirrel hit the ground and ran off dragging his innards behind him. Only squirrel I ever had to track. It was ugly.

I always figured it was a story perpetrated by the same types of people who would hand you a stick and a gunny sack and say "you wanna go snipe hunting?". :shake:

Stophel said:
I always figured it was a story perpetrated by the same types of people who would hand you a stick and a gunny sack and say "you wanna go snipe hunting?". :shake:

A paper bag works better there Stophel. :wink:

Below the head man....aim below the head. Barking doesn't work well when aiming under the belly. Of course "barking the head" requires a real Dan'l Boone type of sharpshooter...not everyone can pull off a "head bark". Pin point accuracy from both the rifle and shooter is necessary for a sucessful "head bark" which by the way is very desirable from a taxidermist's viewpoint. Correctly done, there isn't even a sliver in the squirrel....only a rattled brain. :wink: ...Fred

Funny, in my parts barking at a squirrel is calling to it. In other words "Dad can you show me how to bark at a squirrel". "Son, I can try but, you kinda have to learn it on your own, listen". But a good squirrel dog is easier, different bark though.

Jethro, you should change your screen name to squirrel tracker. I had a friend shoot a squirrel with an field tip arrow. The arrow went under the skin but did not hit any meat. The squirrel then ran down the tree, with the entire arrow(pierced squirrel). The squirrel continued running under the neighbors house. I will have to leave the rest of the story untold. Needless to say, an arrow pierced squirrel makes alot of noise under a house.

I know the gun I used wasn`t a muzzle loader,but when I was a teenager,I ran out of shotgun shells. :( I still wanted to hunt squirrels,so I went home and got the 30-30 rifle because I had a few shells for that gun. :thumbsup: The 1st squirrel I shot had a piece of hide holding the 2 halfs together. :shocked2: So the 2nd one was on the side of the tree.I shot the bark under him.He fell to the ground dead. :) I also took a big chunk of bark off the tree too.When you bark them,aim near head or chess area. :wink:

I always aim to take the head out, so I never barked one. My understanding is the concussion (shock) created by the ball hitting the tree is what kills the squirrel, not so much slivers of the tree. I was always told to do it when a squirrel is flat against the trunk.

Actually, Mike, if done correctly, Bark kicked up by the ball/bullet passing through the limb under the squirrels head slams into the jaw of the squirrel, and either breaks the neck, or kills by the concussion blow delivered to the central nervous system. A barked squirrel will show no wound. If there is any bleeding, it will be from the mouth, from broken blood vessels in its sinuses, and throat. :hmm:

I have never barked a squirrel, but I have seen squirrels that were barked by others.

I use to practice making this kind of shot, by shooting UNDER the bottom of beer and pop cans with my rifles. You had to learn to hit the right amount Under the can for a chunk of dirt to kick up and throw the can into the air, particularly when using a small caliber rifle like the .22. It is VERY GOOD PRACTICE for making this kind of shot on game. "Kicking the Can" with high powered rifles at 50 yds. is a lot of fun, too. We once did this at my BP club using our larger bore(.45+) MLers.

Over here, for some reason, people like to eat hog nuts. I have not heard of them eating squirrel nuts, but I figure if you cook 'em, these folks will eat 'em. :idunno:

The Doc is out now. :v

Back