• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How far does spent patches go ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was amused for two reasons... I was firing about once every four minutes but it was really humid and barely any breeze so my smoke was hanging all around their stalls/tables....not sure who had the worse smelling powder though. With all their fancy "black rifles" and schmancy pistols at 25 yards, I can guarantee you that my little .32 was shooting groups within an inch and their targets looked more like they were using shotguns.

I was amused for two reasons... I was firing about once every four minutes but it was really humid and barely any breeze so my smoke was hanging all around their stalls/tables....not sure who had the worse smelling powder though. With all their fancy "black rifles" and schmancy pistols at 25 yards, I can guarantee you that my little .32 was shooting groups within an inch and their targets looked more like they were using shotguns.

Funny how often that happens, $800 Aimpoints are no match for a bit of notched steel and a brass blade.

Never thought about looking for a patch. So I don't know. My first rifle was a CVA kit called a Kentucky in 45 caliber. About 20 years ago. I was surprised at the accuracy of that thing. Especially on a rest. Did too much damage on cottontails. So I got a CVA 32 caliber kit. Once when me and my Pyrador were our hunting, I saw a turkeys about 100 yards away. I said, why not. Took a shot and missed, they scattered and one stayed put. I loaded as fast as I could. That shot did the trick. Was not a kill shot, just enough for my buddy to get to it and finish it off. Little ball was about an inch into the breast. I don't remember but I think it was 45gr 3f.
Turkey are legal with rifle in Texas during deer season.

When the rifle is new, I always look for the patches to see if they are torn, burnt, whatever, it had become just a habit to look for them, so I would say on average 10-15'. I guess it could depend on your lube, some may be sticker than others

Back