• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How far does spent patches go ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If someone is set on finding shot patches, if you’re going to be shooting in a grassy area, it’s best to cut the grass short before time.

If you can’t do that, then I would reckon one could spread out a tarp about 15-30 feet out in front of your shooting bench.

Depending on the wind, the particular load and the material the patch is cut from it's normally around 15 to 20 feet from the muzzle. In even a mild cross wind the patches can blow about 12 feet or so to the left or right. Since the wind may be variable some patches will be blown farther than others.

At the last meet up we had here on my 50 yd range there were a LOT of patches sent down range. Most fall between the 10 and 20 yd target stands. However, that evening, I did find a few close to the 40.

The use of red Rit dye is a very good idea. I've changed over to the gel type candy dye. You know, the dye you'd squirt a drop or two into cookie dough. Comes in little squeezy tubes at the grocery store. I rub a little into pre-cut patches and then apply patch lube. My eyes can see the blue dye color better than the red.

Sometimes they go this far and sometimes they go that far, and sometimes they fly clean into the next county!!!

Recently I found one not more then six or seven feet from where I was shooting! Another time I found one on my way up to take down my targets, about 60 yard on an uphill slope.

I forgot to add that patches can sometimes burrow too!
Don't know how they do it but I have returned to shooting spots weeks, even months later, after a rain, after a snow...then when walking out to set up my targets - There One Is! It wasn't there last time I was out, and I am the only BP shooter out there!
Dern things just burrow underground then pop back up after you leave!

I usually find mine from 10 to 20 feet out, depending on which gun I'm shooting. But some disappear and I never find them.

It depends on hoe tight the patch is to the ball. I have had some patches that were in a loading block over the winter stick to the ball twenty five yards and into the target.

Back