• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How heavy is too heavy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a beauty of a find. Does it have any barrel markings at all? I have a .50 cal. half-stock with 32"x1" in maple stock that is only 9lbs. I would weigh that one right off. I have a Creedmore Sharps in .45-120 cal. that is 34"x 1 1/8" tapered to 1" that is 14 lbs. That has to be a real chuck of a barrel on yours. Good luck with the shoot. Ought to be able to handle 100-120 gr. powder behind 500-550 gr. slug easy.

I just picked up this pretty little thing: a .50 cal custom halfstock that tips the scale at a whopping 16 pounds! It was actually labeled as a “bench” rifle by the dealer, but I intend to shoot it offhand and use it for general target shooting, as I tend to prefer a heavier rifle. I can’t help but wonder if 16 pounds is pushing the envelope though. The halfstock percussion rifle that I typically shoot is about ten pounds, and I’ve got an original William Beck rifle that comes in at about 14.

What say you, ladies and gents? Just how heavy is too heavy for the purpose of offhand shooting in your opinion? Am I absolutely nut-so for thinking I can effectively manhandle this thing?
I guess the optimal weight for any shooter would vary greatly. If it feels right for you go with it. If it feels too heavy do what you can to lighten it, sell it, or use it as a bench gun.

It all comes down to your physical limitations, that gun could have been made for a man who was very tall and very stout. If it was me, I wouldn't hesitate to carry it in the woods hunting, but I'm 6' 4" and a pretty strong guy. I have a hammerdrill I use at work that weighs 18 or 19 pounds and have no difficulty using that, and the weights not even spread out like a guns weight is. In my safe, I have an elk rifle that weighs over 13lbs with ammunition and optic. So it's all what you can (and are willing) handle, a 5'8" guy that doesn't workout isn't going to want a heavy firearm. So if you hunt, you could go to a gameland during hunting season (after you sighted it in ofcourse) and just spend the day taking your time doing some walk hunting. Doing this will let you know how well you can handle it, it will also help you to adjust to this firearms weight if you really want to shoot free hand but that's just my two cents.
I certainly wouldn’t rule out hunting with it if it’s well-balanced, but I was thinking about using it primarily for general target shooting, woods walks, and other club shoots.

This rifle might just be the impetus for me to get to the gym more often! Right now I’m able to do about 20 repetitions per arm with 30 LB dumbbells before I start to reach failure… but I realize there’s a difference between lifting weights and the practical application of one’s strength and stamina.

Man that’s a beautiful beast of a rifle. 35 years ago, I would take my great grandfather’s .45 fossils hunting. Infantry model Trapdoor Springfield and a longest barrel offered 1876 Winchester. Now at 52 with severe lumbar damage, rotten knees-shoulders-right hip, a 9# GPR is about my limit for hunting.
I used to do long range steel ringing. That gun of yours would be perfect for benched silhoutte competition. May not reach out as far as a modern, but so much more enjoyable.

That rifle sure is pretty....
I think "heavy" is strictly to the individual...but 16 sure is a chunk.....I could certainly see it as a "stand" rifle for hunting, but that is a lot of weight to hold out on the range...but certainly 16 lbs helps with the recoil!

Congrats on a great find! I too , prefer heavy(?) rifles for offhand shooting.....but have never tried one THAT heavy! For me, the extra weight slows down the rifle movements and helps me get a shot off at a slower moving target. I use an arm braced against my ribs to support the rifle so weight is not a big deal. ....that pertains to target shooting only. I prefer a lighter rifle to carry in the mountains. I will carry a half stock .45cal. in the mountains this weekend for blue grouse.

I truly appreciate all the feedback this thread has garnered.

You guys are right, of course… I suppose I won’t really know until I have it in hand as to whether it’s going to suit my intended purpose or will be too heavy to make offhand shooting feasible.

I’ll keep you all posted. Rifle’s expected Tuesday of next week. Range report to follow!

I truly appreciate all the feedback this thread has garnered.

You guys are right, of course… I suppose I won’t really know until I have it in hand as to whether it’s going to suit my intended purpose or will be too heavy to make offhand shooting feasible.

I’ll keep you all posted. Rifle’s expected Tuesday of next week. Range report to follow!
On a less serious comment. But is also true if it comes with wheels its too heavy.

My Pedersoli/Lyman GPR is close too 10 pounds. Everytime I start thinking it is too heavy I remind myself how heavy the originals were. But 16 pounds! Although recoil is not an issue for me, that's just too heavy to tote around, at least for me. But you sure 'nuff have a good looking rifle

I just finished a 4 bore. Weight is about 17 to 18 pounds. Seems a bit light, but not by much. It is for offhand shooting only. Shooting it from a bench rest would be a very bad idea.

I just finished a 4 bore. Weight is about 17 to 18 pounds. Seems a bit light, but not by much. It is for offhand shooting only. Shooting it from a bench rest would be a very bad idea.
Nice looking piece,you well know if it’s to heavy after to pack it a ways .

I am 80 and since I was a kid I have always preferred carbines and lighter rifles.
Well done I am 81, they are all that age at our little sailing club. Just a number theses days. I am not into carbines but collecting an auction win 3 Sep. It has a 23” barrel .530 bore 1840 German mountain rifle , hope I chose wisely. Kindest love from far across the pond. Sailed it once on a cruise liner, took 5 days long way .

Attachments

• BBBDF80C-8801-4936-8191-DAD7A1677B62.jpeg
    BBBDF80C-8801-4936-8191-DAD7A1677B62.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CBF6D974-F01C-44A2-976E-7EAC54F01D41.jpeg
    CBF6D974-F01C-44A2-976E-7EAC54F01D41.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 0
  • A6F6A629-C701-4A2D-A74C-6A6DD18C1894.jpeg
    A6F6A629-C701-4A2D-A74C-6A6DD18C1894.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
I’m 33 and am getting too old to carry heavy guns like that. I like mine around 7 lbs. Maybe back when I was 20 I could lug a sixteen pounder but not in my old age.

Yes around 8 lbs is just nice. African hunting expect 12lbs for a decent .5 double. The rich in Scotland had a guy to carry his rifle. This one was made in Aberdeen, •577, 36” barrel 1830 percussion coming in at 12 lbs, obviously for stag hunting in the hills . Best to carry them over your shoulder African style or your arms will fall off . But not for a Scottish gentleman .

Attachments

• 67926E02-70CC-4A3F-93B0-03EC87ED0FFA.jpeg
    67926E02-70CC-4A3F-93B0-03EC87ED0FFA.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
I’m 33 and am getting too old to carry heavy guns like that. I like mine around 7 lbs. Maybe back when I was 20 I could lug a sixteen pounder but not in my old age.
Yes around 8 lbs is just nice. African hunting expect 12lbs for a decent .5 double. The rich in Scotland had a guy to carry his rifle. This one was made in Aberdeen, •577, 36” barrel 1830 percussion coming in at 12 lbs, obviously for stag hunting in the hills . Best to carry them over your shoulder African style or your arms will fall off . But not for a Scottish gentleman .

Come on Smokey get fit , I am 81 with cancer , but I just did archery practice at 40 yards. 60 arrows did me in a bit as not done it for three weeks. I shoot arrows most mornings over morning coffee , and don’t smoke or like next door you won’t make 64 brown bread !!!! !!! We are all with you. Haha. Love from way across that big pond

Guns bows and banjo and mountain men . You need to practice a bow everyday. Not done that in 3 weeks so not so good. Got light 24lb limbs but at 81 perfect for garden They call bows “ guns” in Nigeria and they have nasty points on the arrows . Just shot this 40 yard group. Not quite good enough for deer, but it’s illegal to hunt with a bow in uk since 1961 My compound is fearsome took it to France Run out of wall space for guns, my collection has taken years ha ha

Attachments

• 80F2209A-F774-4C02-A5AA-24C5D269A574.jpeg
    80F2209A-F774-4C02-A5AA-24C5D269A574.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • C11681D4-4280-4537-B88B-6E3DB51F3BAB.jpeg
    C11681D4-4280-4537-B88B-6E3DB51F3BAB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 0AB2DC00-7F2C-453C-9167-77161FD98FFD.jpeg
    0AB2DC00-7F2C-453C-9167-77161FD98FFD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 0B70783D-6BC0-4A81-9541-C3AD92487147.jpeg
    0B70783D-6BC0-4A81-9541-C3AD92487147.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 5C45643F-629D-432E-9D15-0C3A4E0C9A2A.jpeg
    5C45643F-629D-432E-9D15-0C3A4E0C9A2A.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 9D5CC043-32F4-4BB8-BD48-ECE3A5D36DCC.jpeg
    9D5CC043-32F4-4BB8-BD48-ECE3A5D36DCC.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
I think it will all depend on where the balance point is that will determine if you can shoot it. Lot of people shoot heavy target rifles offhand. If you look at the size of many of the original rifles they were carrying rifles that weighed a lot more than what people want today. It amazes me the number of posts I see where people complain about a Kibler Colonial being too heavy, but many of the same people can't wait for Kibler to make a Hawken. They don't seem to realize how heavy those original Hawkens really were.

Just realized my Enfield steel ramrod weighs 10 oz.! Doesn't sound like a lot, but when considering overall weight of the musket, with sling, it does add up. The musket weighs 10 lbs. flat-out, so an extra 10 oz. does add to the "feel".

Anymore I like them as light as I can get it. At 80 yrs. old, and more metal parts in my body then most new cars, if it isn't around 7lbs. or less I am just going for a walk in the woods by myself.

Back