• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many days can you gun hunt big game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiosam

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So in your state how many days can you legally be out hunting deer or other big game with your muzzleloader? In Ohio we have 13 days(15 for youth) where we can gun hunt statewide. Bowhunters (including xbows) get 4+ months.

Here in Ms.our ML season opened on Nov.8 and we can use them thru Jan.31.We have 3 primitive weapons seasons but can use them during any gun season.

North Carolina is a very large state, and is broken up into 4 geographic 'zones' from the coast in the east to the mountains in the west:
Eastern, Central, Northwestern, and Western zones.

Very generous deer season lengths commensurate with the deer densities in the zones:

Eastern zone = ML followed by gun Oct 2 - Jan 1
Central zone = ML followed by gun Oct 30 - Jan 1
Northwestern = ML followed by gun Nov 6 - Jan 1
Western zone = ML followed by gun Oct 18 - Dec 11

MLs can be used for ML and gun seasons as well.

5 weeks during general big game season. An additional 6 weeks if you draw a late-season Muzzleloader/shotgun/pistol/archery license (limited in number). There are also regional early and late season areas where a muzzleloader could also be used.

Here in McClennan County about 2 months - 1 Nov- 6 Jan.

Unless you count hogs as big game then it would be 365 days - small game pretty liberal seasons as well as turkey

If I didn't have to pay for leases I am guessing I would be a happy man.

Dan'l

Up here in Michigan you can use a muzzleloader during any firearm season if you want.

We have a 15 day regular firearm deer season the last half of November. Plus a seperate muzzleloader season in December. The dates and length of muzzleloader season depend on what part of the state your in. In my area we get another 2 weeks the first half of the month.

Bear season this year was September 10th thru October 26th. You have to apply thru a drawing for a bear tag though. They can be easy, or hard to get depending on the area you want to hunt.

Then there are the coveted elk tags. Slim odds of drawing one of these. You only get a few days to hunt if your one of the lucky few and get a tag.

Right now there`s talk in Lansing of a possible Moose season for next year. We`ll have to see about that one. If the legislation passes I`m sure it will be run like the elk season. Very short season with few avaliable tags.

We have a little over 3 weeks in Nov for muzzleloader either sex. Another week in Dec during our shotgun season we can use muzzleloaders, either sex. Then theirs two weeks later that is Doe only on private lands.

I love New Mexico But I tell folks that what will make me leave is the lack of hunting opportunity.

First you have to draw a tag then you only get 5-7 days to fill it.. Archery get 15-21 days.

90% of the Muzzleloader hunts are at the same time state wide just broken up into units. If you happen to Draw deer and elk you hunt Saturday to Wed, then back again the next Saturday to Wed the very next weekend.

One deer and one elk per year.. If you draw a tag!

The hunting can be great but just too much too soon and then its over.. :(

ohiosam said:
So in your state how many days can you legally be out hunting deer or other big game with your muzzleloader?
Not enough :shake: We have at first a 3 day firearm season followed by a 4 day I think? I can't remember because in that season I can only hunt the weekends. Then we have a 3 day muzzleloader season in December. Now we have in late December/January we have 2 doe seasons which are 4 days and 3 days. But we only have 3 days which are designated muzzleloader only. So that comes to a total of 17 days to hunt with a firearm at all... if you can get off of work/school during the weekdays. With the lack of days to hunt with a firearm my main focus every year is our archery season which runs Oct. 1- Jan. 15.

I'd say if one were in that eastern zone they'd have it made :grin: . Wouldn't be much of a reason to even own a bow if that were the case.

I should explain Ohio's season better.

Week after Thanksgiving is "gun week" you can use shotgun, muzzleloader, handgun(no bottle neck cartridgs)or archery.

2 weeks later is the bonus weekend, same legal weapons.

Second weekend in January is muzzleloader season for 4 days. Pretty much no restrictions on MLs except .38 cal minimum and single bullet per barrel. Archery equipment is also legal.

There is a 5 day early Muzzleloader season in Oct on 3 State wildlife areas.

We have a total of 17 possible hunting days for deer.
Regular Firearm Season:
A 3 day weekend (F-S-S ) before Thanksgiving weekend.
A 4 day weekend (T-F-S-S ) after thanksgiving weekend. This is also the 1st weekend of Muzzleloader only hunting permits.
The following 3 day weekend (F-S-S ) Muzzleloader only.
ANd, added last year for the first time,
LATE-WINTER ANTLERLESS SEASON The last/first 4 day weekend of the year (T-F-S-S)
This year is Dec. 30 - Jan. 2.
As well as the old "Handgun" season, a 3 day weekend (F-S-S) in the middle of January. This year is Jan. 14-16.
Any legal firearm can be used in regular season and you can hunt the "late-winter" seasons only if you purchase an additional permit, or have an unfilled permit from either regular or muzzleloader season. ANTLERLESS only.

In Wv not counting youth almost 7 weeks this year. Expect that will take a big drop next year. Larry Wv

In Georgia

in fall about 3.5 months

12 deer limit

1 bear they are plentiful in the mountains

hogs year round

3 gobblers in the spring another couple months

Worked out to 32 days possible in the Southern Zone of NY this year. Happily, NY allows m/l rifles (or smoothbore) during the slug shotgun regular season. Pure m/l is only 11 days at the tail end. Bowhunting for big game - 67 days total possible.

I guess I should clarify New Mexico a bit. There are plenty of things to hunt with a ML.. Most you have to draw a tag Some you do not.. If you happen to be a lucky guy/gal and you put in for every species (Lots of $$$$$) you could hunt that is you might hunt for 15 days. 5 deer, 5 elk, and 5 antelope. There are a few species like bear and Mt lion that have long seasons. Small Game like dove, quail, Grouse, squirrel etc usualy gives me a couple more months. Around a month for Turkey and thats. Remember all the big Game are draw. So Some years I may not hunt Big Game at all.

Turkey and small Game are my saving Grace. I will Die or move when Turkey goes to draw also.

All I have right now is bunnies until spring!!

Merry Christmas!!

KHickam said:
Here in McClennan County about 2 months - 1 Nov- 6 Jan.
Unless you count hogs as big game then it would be 365 days Dan'l

Considering hogs will make you or your dogs life pretty miseable if you get caught up in the wrong situation, I'd definitely count wild hogs as BIG GAME. I was rammed in the side of the leg several years ago and nocked off an 8ft. creek bank. New Years day 1992 we spent the better part of the day at the Vets office sewing up a good dog. The Vet and I used a soldering iron to burn blood vessels trying to stop the bleeding before we could begin sewing while one of my hunting buddies held her down. Two other hunters mopped and wiped blood and gathered whatever the Vet told them too. 165 stiches. Fine old hog dog, she was back in the woods two months later. Yeah, wild hogs absolutely are BIG GAME. And there are plenty of them. To answer the original post, we can hunt them 365 days a year when you hate them as bad as I do. And a 50cal. ball will drop one as fast as anything.

we can hunt some big game in our state 365 days a yr you may need to do a little flying

Back