• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many days can you gun hunt big game?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and depending on your loc up here there are a few things that may hunt you also

Ml season is 9 days short. But you have to draw for elk or deer. snow bunnies runs until Feb. 1. :shake:

In Minnesota you can use ML in regular November gun season, which is 9 to 16 days depending on zone. There's a 16 day December ML only (all types, not just traditional). There's also a two-day Oct doe-only in a couple SE MN areas with shotguns/ML. If you're under 18, add a few more days for a youth-only hunt in Oct (all weapons). Then there's bear, moose, elk (the latter two very restricted via once-in-a-lifetime drawing. If you consider Turkey to be big game (some do)that's another week in the Spring and a couple in the fall.

In Colorado, our big game consists of deer, elk, antelope, bear, moose, lion, and goats and sheep if you are really lucky in the draw. Some of these game have multiple tags available. If you are really lucky in the draw, you can hunt from early September through December. Muzzleloaders may be used in any rifle season, and there are designated muzzleloader seasons as well for deer, elk, bear, and antelope.

There is no seperate ML season here,use it whenever general firearms big game seasons are open.MLs of any caliber can be used year-round for coyotes,varmints etc.,while CF rifles are restricted to less than .23cal during closed seasons for big game.So in other words,I can't be trusted to use a .243 for coyotes in December because I might poach a deer or moose,but it's OK to use a .72 cal double Kodiak for groundhogs in July,lol. :youcrazy:

As for "Big Game" as per the original posted Q:

Deer-3weeks bow only beginning 1st Monday of October,followed by 4 weeks firearms,bow,ML....whatever you choose.

Bear-20 weeks total including Spring/Fall seasons(12 weeks any weapon Spring,2 weeks in Sept. are bow only,then 6 weeks any weapon beginning Oct.1st)

Moose-3 days by lottery,last week of Sept.,any weapon.

Fall bear and deer firearms overlap,so I guess that makes 21 weeks total for Big Game,plus 3 days for moose if I'm lucky enough to draw a tag.

You can hunt deer for 94 days!! How many can you take?

I can hunt 7 days and take one. :( (if I get a tag)

3 bucks 3 does plus if you are in a management program there are doe tags that dont count against you 3 does

Back