• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many flint pistol shooters do we have here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nytebreed

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Just starting out myself with a flint pistol.
I'd like to hear from others who've been doin it for a while, I know I will be.

Yup, got 5 right now....2 smooth (24 and 20 guage) that would be .58 and .62 caliber.

3 rifled barreled ones. .45 caliber is the first one I ever made....not much of a looker, but decent shooter. .50 was made by a friend back in the '70's...great shooter and looker. .54 is my latest build...to match rifle and one of the smooth long guns. I like to carry the same bore as the long gun I carry at the same time...makes it easier to take the same size balls etc and cuts down on confusion in hunting situations. I DO use them hunting, and find them sufficient to "make meat" at close range. All the barrels are first quality from known makers and I load fairly hefty when hunting. I don't recommend these heavier loads in barrels on imported guns. I have seen some pretty shoddy breech work on some of the older ones out there. I have also seen barrels pinned through the edge of the barrel itself instead of through a barrel lug. Scares me to even think about it!

I shoot a .45 flinter as well as 2 percussion .45 pistols and have found the flinter a challenge to shoot. The lock must be very fast for accurate shooting. I've just done some improvements on the lock and the touch hole which have improved the speed. I'd like to shoot it in a match but haven't been able to equal the percussions so far.
Deadeye

The only flint pistol I have is a Pedersoli Queen Anne I built from a kit which although it's truly a "looker" with its polished white barrel, engine turned side plate and polished wood finish is about as accurate as a poorly made slingshot.
With it's smooth bore and no sights I'm doing good to hit paper at 15 yards.

Anyone who can accuratly shoot a flint pistol has nothing but my greatest admiration.

quote:Originally posted by 'zonie:
Anyone who can accuratly shoot a flint pistol has nothing but my greatest admiration. That would be me...
grin.gif

I could accuratly shoot that Pedersoli Queen Anne pistol with my .58 Zouave at 110 yards...
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif

Oh, you mean shooting a flint pistol, not "SHOOTING" the flint pistol...
grin.gif

My mistake...

I made a .58 caliber smoothbore English style flintlock. I put together a small siler lock and then filed the corners round and reshaped the cock so that it looked English. Barrel length is about 8 inches.

When I get the chance, I intend to put together a HBC common flintlock handgun...smoothbore. I took a picture of one at the Museum of the Fur Trade in Chadron, Nebraska last summer so as to have the correct pattern.

Voyageur

Tell ye what Muskeetman, we'uns could put out my Queen Anne and Twoshadows tomahawk 'n balance a charkoal bisket on each o them n take turns a shootin um both. First one ta powder both biskets wins what's left o the supports!

Fer those what don't know what a'm a talkin about see the post on wantin new games over in the general Interests posts area.

Lots of flint and perc pistols in this thread, how about posting pictures of them? I'm looking to build a pistol (Haven't made up my mind about that Traditions Trapper model yet) and I'd like to see some examples of what I might tackle. Hope everyone is having a good holiday season.

Wow nice response guys, thanks.
I know acuracy is a challenge with all but the finest flint pistols, but hey that's what makes it fun right?
Hopefully I'll get to spend some quality time with mine in the near future, making noise and working out the best powder/patch combo. Then I'll be able to comment on it's accuracy, or at least my perception of such related to my yet novice skill with it.
Goin to a big (320-someodd tables) gun show here in the north east this weekend too so hopefully I'll come home with somthing noteworthy.
Tommy b,
I recently put a couple photos of my .44 kentucky in the pic forum.

Nytebreed, It's still a challenge(shooting offhand)even with the best flint pistol obtainable. Even with total concentration, it's almost impossible not to move when the hammer and frizzen both are moving and the ignition is sometime slightly delayed. On walk thru steel targets its ok but shooting paper,it's tough.
Deadeye

I don't consider myself a flint pistol shooter, but I do have a "Harper's Ferry" .58 bought about 20 years ago from Dixie Gun works. Have shot it once or twice....if I get close enough to use it as a club, it is pretty lethal. Did find a good use for it, though. Found myself a senior officer of a very Northeastern elite Liberal company(that's probably redundant)...so I used it as a fancy paper weight/desk ornament....was just the right degree of irritation to the elitists. I had an assistant who developed the nervous habit of toying with the darn thing whenever he came to see me. Cured him of that by putting priming powder in the pan one day....did stink up the office a bit...Hank

Looks like a nice gun. A bit longer than one that I would want but to each his own.
Pedersoli makes some of the better guns in Italy so it ought to be pretty good quality.

It looks like it is using the same lock as the Kentucky shown at the top of the page. I owned one of them but didn't shoot it enough to determine how good the lock was after a lot of firings so I can't help on that issue.

If you think the Kentucky with the 10 1/4 barrel could work, it might interest you to know I am looking at the 2003 Dixie Catalog. Their 2003 price for a .45 Flintlock version of the Kentucky is $195.00. They may be raising their prices in 2004 but if money is an object it's worth thinking about.

Does anyone use their smoothbores as "scatter" pistols? That sounds fun enough to justify getting one for squirrel hunting.

quote:Originally posted by chickenlittle:
Does anyone use their smoothbores as "scatter" pistols? That sounds fun enough to justify getting one for squirrel hunting. That may not be too good of an idea...

If the game warden caught you, I bet he/she would try to pin a sawed-off shorgun rap on you...

This is a gray area that could go either way, check before you do it...

If your state allows it, it would be a blast...

quote:Originally posted by bob1961:
can some body take a look at this website of this bounty pistol with the 16" barrel and give some opinions please....A little hard to tuck in your belt...
grin.gif

You'd need a step ladder to load it...
rolleyes.gif

Anyway, I have a 16 inch barrel on my Contender in .22 Hornet, and I love it...

I opt for the longer barrels on handguns, I think you will enjoy it too...

i want to get it in the same .50 cal as my flinter....so i can use the same ammo....don't know if i should go with the flintlock or perc.......................bob

quote:Originally posted by bob1961:
i want to get it in the same .50 cal as my flinter....so i can use the same ammo....don't know if i should go with the flintlock or perc.......................bob You are holding a flintlock in your picture, why not stay with the flinters...

Not only can you use the same round balls/bullets, you can use the same powder and flints too...

No need to but percussion caps...
See, I just saved you $39.00 on 1'000 caps...
grin.gif

well i'm going to buy the bounty pistol in .50 flint....might even put the same curly maple stock i'm putting on T/C hawken flinter so i have a matched set so to speak....will do some pic's when all is said and done....try to make it look like a factory set.........bob

Back