• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many here use only their balck powder guns for deer hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't have a smooth bore B/P so all my upland bird shooting is done with SxS shot guns. All other hunting is done with flint lock long rifles and always has been.

Vern

Have hunted deer and hogs with MLs for the past 3 or 4 years. About half of my bird hunting has been with my ML side by side.

Been doing it for years now.

Also my 10 year old son is doing it too :) He started with a CVA Bobcat .50 cal this year.

Have been hunting with flintlocks only since 1976. Have been mostly using my tradegun since 2002.

I have not owned a CF rifdle for well over 25 years I kind of got hooked on the old ways and found there to be a lot more challenge and enjoyment when trying to duplicate the old ways as much as is realisticly possible, I have to let more Deer walk that back when I was in my 20's or 30's but I do not consider it a defeat in any way.

From 1973 to 1985 I hunted only ml and bow. If I did not draw a ml tag I hunted ml in regular rifle season or hunted with the bow.

Since 1985 I have hunted with ml, bow and a wide array of CF guns that include a .270, .308, 45-70, 30/06, .223, 30-30, 7/08, 7.5X55, 7.62X54R (including an M38 :) ) and a few others that don't come to mind at the momemt. In the next few years I'll be hunting with a .41 Swiss and a .45 (nominal) Dutch Beaumont.

All scattergun hunting is done with modern guns.

This is the way I like to do it. Just not the type of person to become a "true believer". :haha:

I've been hunting strictly with ml's (percussion) for about 20 years. I am converting both my perc's to flint this winter. Still have to build a fowling piece.

Illinois doesn't allow CF rifles for deer hunting, shotguns with slugs or ML, and the past several years they have allowed CF handguns.
I started deer hunting in '91 with a Mossberg 500 pump. The next year I had an autoloader. In '02 I switched to a single shot H&R. '04 was the last year I used that one.
Since then I have used only MLers, both flint and cap.
Except for a few I killed with my Ruger .44 magnum. I'm gonna try and get one more with the .44 then I'm done hunting with that too. Still trying to get a close shot with a ML pistol.
Switched to ML only for squirrels in '05 too.

I have been using my 20 gauge fowler exclusively the past few years for small game. If I'm going to hunt thick woods, I'll use my .50 flinter. I have one field, though, that provides a nice 375 yard shot from my shooting house - for that I'll use cf.

This was the 5th season for me with black powder only.I said was because today Tn. opened the reg.rifle season and i couldn't resist :shake: :idunno: I've located sign of nice buck using on my property and i wanted to every advantage i could on opening day. :surrender: I'm not planning on making a habit out of going back to CF,but i'm not planning on letting this buck stroll by just out of range either...At least not for the first few days of this week :wink:

i use nothing but muzzleloaders for deer hunting but use mostly modern guns for birds and waterfowl.

Around these parts they don't even have a ML season, so that was never a motive for me to get into it. I don't want to get all new age, but I don't feel right shooting cf guns, it's like somekinda genetic memory thing or something, when I set that ball down on the powder, feels like I been doing it for ten lifetimes.

Also been bow hunting with stick bows since 1985. Didn't quite get it together this year, but next I'm going to use flint points.

I guess that I have always used BP rifles for deer hunting. Thought I would get a little more modern with a new style, so I bought a percussion rifle.
I got drawn once for a special either sex hunt back in the early 80's. A friend loaned me his scoped 30/06 rifle. Within approx: 30 minutes of the hunt, missed a shot at a beautiful buck at less than 50 yds. I took the rifle straight back to camp and returned it to him.
We have an option to use c/f rifles or muzzleloaders in the regular deer season.
Staying with my BP rifles.

I have used flintlocks exclusively for 12 years now. In 1996 I bought a Cabelas brand 1874 Sharps 45-70. I shot a 6 point buck with it put it in the safe and went back to my flintlocks for hunting. If I ever use a cartridge gun again it will be my original 1873 original Trapdoor Springfield with a black powder load.

Smo: Well, the acorns are in the woods and so are the deer. Around January the acorns will be gone and the deer will be in the fields. that's why mt cf is in the safe!

Yesterday was opening day for centerfire rifles here in 'Bama. This is my first year in almost 30 that I have ML hunted. I passed on a small doe yesterday afternoon. Didnt want her to be my first ML kill! Felt great to be out in the woods with my "Hawken". Now this is real hunting! I love it!

It has been years since I've hunted with a cf rifle or smoothbore. I hunt the entire season with flintlocks and have been doing so for a long time. I feel at no disadvantage compared to the scoped, cf hunters.

kbuck said:
Smo: Well, the acorns are in the woods and so are the deer. Around January the acorns will be gone and the deer will be in the fields. that's why mt cf is in the safe!

kbuck,you are right about the acorns being in the woods,but so is my field. It is carved out on top of a ridge surounded by hardwoods with two deep thick hollows on each side. Up here the bucks are laying down scrapes along the ridge tops and around the edges of the fields and thickets. From my 20 ft ladder stand i can see along way along the ridge top now that the leaves are all gone. The field is only a little over 1/2 acre, but 2 bucks have fallen in it in the last 2 weeks 1 on opening day of muzzleloader season and 1 yesterday the opening day of rifle season.

Been hunting with my BP rifles since about 1980. Hunted with percussion and flintlocks. Lean towards the percussion rifle a little more than the flinter.
Also use BP rifles during the Modern gun season. Don't own any modern rifles. Even sold my duty pistol when I retired.
What does CF stand for? Comical and frustrating? :rotf:

Black powder season in Michigan follows the regular firearm season, but I hunted with a flintlock through the regular season. Got a deer second day of season. :thumbsup: graybeard

Back