• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

How many here use only their balck powder guns for deer hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been into bow hunting since the 1960's. This year the county where I live finally got to use a center fire rifle for the general deer season. Prior to that it was shotguns, muzzleloaders, or handguns. I bounce back and forth as to what I carry afield, sometimes it's a modern gun, but I do carry a muzzleloader some days. Our muzzle loading season is after the general gun season and it is often colder then. That's followed by a 4 day doe season. When ever I hunt the doe season it is always with a muzzle loader.

I've used my Lyman GPR .54 with PRB for the last four seasons. I haven't used a "modern" gun since I was a kid. Been using leverguns since my teens. I've used my 1873 Sporting Rifle .38-40 a few times in the last couple years but mostly the Lyman. Hopefully, next year I'll have a nice Pennsylvania rifle to hunt with. I still have a weakness for levers but only own one boltaction centerfire and will probably never use it again.

Never hunted with a CF rifle or shotgun and don't even own one. First 30 years were bow only, mostly with longbow or recurve. Added traditional muzzleloaders to the mix 12 years ago for regular gun season, late muzzleloader, and small game, and am having the time of my life. I too just love to look at my ML's beautiful wood patterns while waiting on the local wildlife and pitty those sitting in the woods with some "cold" black or camo plastic stocked weapon!

I've used muzzleloaders only for deer since i started hunting 20+ years now and I've used only a 58. flintlock for 5 or 6 years.

Yep. When the deer aren't cooperatin it's nice to just admire the artwork. Looks best "in the wild".

HPIM2731.jpg

Life is short - hunt with nice gear. :thumbsup:

I got my first deer in 1983,got the gun .54 TC Hawken in 82, my first BP gun, never used any thing but black powder since. :thumbsup: Dilly

I shot my first deer in 1980 with a TC Hawken. Went to flint smoothbores from there on out. Did take one deer with a flint rifle about ten years ago. Then this year I found myself with out a BP long gun and ended up shooting a doe with a modern slug gun. I did put the coup de grau on here with an 1860 army colt C&B though. :grin:
I'd just like to add I have never killed a pheasant with modern powder. All black powder for my upland hunting. The majority of the birds I have killed were with an 18 bore SXS flint followed by a single barrel 12 bore flint gun. There have been a few crappy days in the field when I have taken an old hammer gun loaded with BP shells.

Have killed 5 deer with a .50 flint Hawken. Carry a .50 Bobcat now, you know its a weight thing. :grin: Dilly

I started shooting blackpowder about 10 years ago and have harvested 2 does with my T/C 50 cal Renegade. Our flintlock only season starts the day after Christmas and I am more excited about it than I was for opening day of rifle season! I am getting to the point where I think it is time to take the full time plunge for BP deer hunting. My Renegade and my Omega are my 2 favorite guns to shoot! Nothing like the smell of the smoke and the true satisfaction of having harvested game like our forefathers did!

Since I had a 45 caliber cap gun when I first moved to an area with deer, and they allowed muzzleloaders in gun season I have never bought a"deer slug gun ". One acurate shot is better than three quick shots! :idunno: :idunno:

Back