• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hunter-gatherer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

George

Cannon
Reaction score
I am in the mood for a little colonial cooking, and needed a rabbit for an experiment, so I made a quick run to the farm this afternoon to see If I could collect one. I hadn’t been beating the briar patch for 10 minutes when I had a snap shot at a speedy, crossing bunny and rolled him. Love that. I’ve been doing it for 65 years and haven’t started to get tired of it even a little bit.

I decided to use a little original 13 gauge SxS percussion British shotgun I’ve had for quite a few years, and it was a pure pleasure. I was reminded how really sophisticated these little guns were, even the cheap “hardware store” guns such as this one. It has 29” cylinder bore barrels, weighs only 6 lb. 4 oz., comes to the eye like every gun should, and is quick and handy in the field. I loaded it with 60 gr. FFg and equal volume of #6 shot, two hard cards ala V. M. Starr.

RabbitJan13D1.jpg

RabbitJan13N.jpg

RabbitJan13P.jpg

If my dish turns out as well as collecting the rabbit for it I’m going to be a happy man.

Hell, I’m happy anyway.

Spence

Good shooting Spence!! that guy should cook up real tender, I saw 4 nice big rabbits a couple of nights ago while looking for my cat that got out.(it was my Avatar cat), Too bad they were all around folks houses, I never see them when I'm hunting them :(

That little hunt looks like a ton of fun.
There is something that is so satisfying about
harvesting some game then sitting down to a home
cooked meal as a result of your hunt.

PJC

Gosh , I like that little shotgun , have tried to find one I could afford but never have.

Don't forget pics of the meal. I enjoy them as much as the stories :wink: Bud

Nice. But I am a little disappointed that there's no pics of the bunny in the frying pan like you usually do. Always makes my mouth water.

Yep Spence, I sure do enjoy eating rabbit and am often amazed at the amount of meat on a rabbit as compared to a squirrel (which I also enjoy eating mind you). Like others have mentioned, one of my favorite ways to eat rabbit is to quarter it into pieces, soak it in some buttermilk, dredge it in some seasoned flour, throw me a few scoops of veggy shortening in my cast iron skillet and fry her up. I serve with either mashed potatoes or rice along with some piping hot biscuits. Not really part of a fat free, low cholesterol diet but dang I like it a lot. Congrats on the rabbit and nice shooting.

Jeff

Yeah, that is about the way I like them, but my cardiologist frowns on it, the heathen. I'm going to try cooking this one in a clay pot using something like a historic recipe, just for the fun of it. Made a jugged hare in a redware pot, once, and it worked OK, thought I'd try a similar method using a redware baker.

Film at eleven.

Spence

For what it's worth, I have slow cooked rabbit on my smoker and it turned out quite well. Perhaps a healthier alternative to the traditional frying. As for me, as rare as it is for me to shoot a rabbit, I cook it the way I like it best. Fried with biscuits. Yum!!

Latest posts

Back