• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunters Who Are NMLRA Members

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some clubs and organizations/participants are not very friendly to newcomers (especially if they can shoot). I have seen groups yell at kids who were there with parents and not competing be told to get off their phones in aggressive tones. This is not the way to attract new people to this dying activity. I always pay special attention to kids, let them throw the knife and hawk or shoot the rifle (with parents permission of course) heck I showed a young man how to split wood and asked him he wanted to try - Lil 'man split all my firewood for the weekend for me. I have been to events all over the country being in the army and see the same things time and time again.
1. We need to be friendly and approachable. Answer questions and try to get the public involved.
2. Remember not everyone can afford a $2,000 rifle all the proper attire, tent etc. Just be happy they are there let them attend, make them feel welcome, and encourage them to learn and grow slowly within the realm or muzzleloading.
3. Clubs need to have a youth and womans class, regardless of amount of shooter. Nothing says your not welcome like seclusion, and having to compete when you stand no chance. Yes, some woman and kids can successfully compete with adults, but it should be a choice.
4. Don't be a grumpy old fart. Be willing to mentor someone, all newcomers need help usually.
5. If the newcomer wins congratulate them and don't shun them.
6. It should be fun for everyone.

.... I've noted here that the NMLRA has only about 12,000 members, so there's many, many muzzleloaders out there who don't bother joining the organization.....
I'm not a hunter, but I am a NMLRA member, not so much for anything they can do for me, but just from supporting an organization that represents the interests of something I care about.

Range matches tend to be more formal with their processes. Clubs that have a person designated to work with new members seem to be most successful. Most rendezvous I have been to welcome women and children. The Rocky Mountain Rendezvous just concluded this month has special games for kids, sometimes even a candy cannon. Kids are allowed to run the grounds except the shooting and tomahawk ranges for obvious reasons. A grandmother and her 13 year old grandson camped behind me. A total newbie, he had a great time and was all over the camp. Spent a few evenings in my camp listening to stories and asking a thousand questions. He threw me under the bus when he found a girl of his age to run around with. Oh well, hormones trump tall tales. Point is that there seems to be a very welcoming atmosphere for women and children at the rendezvous I have attended. Some of the ladies will give you a run for your money on the shooting range. Traders bring all types of supplies. The atmosphere is mostly laid back and you can choose what you want to do. Something for everyone.

Not to be disparaging at all. Simply telling it as it is. It would be nice if things were different, but it is not.

I have not seen the first person in my state of KY that uses a traditional ML.

I do not know of the first store that sells traditional ML’s in this area.

I have not seen or heard of the first traditional ML get together in this area.

I have not seen the first traditional ML at the not so local gun range.

I’m sure there may be some of the above out there somewhere (we have a couple of KY members on this site that are into traditional’s) but rest assured they are not here. Therefore, I see no reason nor benefits to becoming a member of any organization that will not benefit me whatsoever.

This forum, as well as the internet, are the only ways I can find information and keep up with this sport/hobby. Sad but true, it’s all about inlines here.

Last edited:
This, and even if they don't, I'd say most of them are less concerned with their hunting implement and more about getting an extra tag or to hunt an extra season.
I will say this is probably true for many. My first 20 years of shooting flintlock was solely for the purpose of an extra season and chance to fill a tag especially when you didn't have to give up an antlerless tag to flintlock hunt. We still used modern weapons for the other seasons and for many, shot and sighted in our flintlocks if it was looking like we'd be hunting that season. Then I fell, no, more like threw myself down the rabbit hole and it's totally different for me now. I use flintlocks for all my gun deer seasons and just last year purchased a fowler for all my other game needs. Enjoy buying, owning and shooting flintlocks and a couple percussion that I have and am now a member of the NMLRA. So yeah, I'd agree with that statement. Oops, just realized an older thread, usually better at that.

Not to be disparaging at all. Simply telling it as it is. It would be nice if things were different, but it is not.

I have not seen the first person in my state of KY that uses a traditional ML.

I do not know of the first store that sells traditional ML’s in this area.

I have not seen or heard of the first traditional ML get together in this area.

I have not seen the first traditional ML at the not so local gun range.

I’m sure there may be some of the above out there somewhere (we have a couple of KY members on this site that are into traditional’s) but rest assured they are not here. Therefore, I see no reason nor benefits to becoming a member of any organization that will not benefit me whatsoever.

This forum, as well as the internet, are the only ways I can find information and keep up with this sport/hobby. Sad but true, it’s all about inlines here.
I live in Central Kentucky

I build and work on traditional Muzzleloaders. You are welcome to stop by my shop any time I am working in the shop. Just contact me ahead of when you would like to come. I try to spend time in the shop every afternoon but sometimes that doesn't happen.

I shoot traditional Muzzleloaders when I have one to shoot. Most of you say you cannot have to many muzzleloaders. Well I have a hard time hanging onto one. That plus injuries and age I don't shoot as much as I used to.

There is a club that holds shoots every month about 15 miles from me plus they hold a market fair every spring in Elizabethtown. Also have another expensive hobby that often interferes with the dates they shoot on.

I don't know about a shop selling traditional guns but Kentucky Gun Co. in Bardstown has black powder and we have an excellent barrel maker https://fcibarrels.tripod.com/home.html

I joined, then left.
Facility: Friendship is rundown. Maintenance is hardly a priority. Rustic is one thing, this is another. Buildings in disrepair, roads, fences, etc. The shooting lines are not up to spec for a professional organization.
Government regulations for accessibility not withstanding, if you have any physical impairments, the place is a nightmare. In a wheelchair?
Good luck.
Wait for the attacks to begin upon this and other negative commentary. Their defenses are feeble, and telling.
There is little to no outreach targeting women, children, and other ethnicities, especially, I might point out, indigenous/native/Indian tribes and peoples.
It's like an AARP convention of white guys.
I shoot/have shot in many, many disciplines.
Look to the CMP as a pretty good model of inclusiveness. A recent photo of a shoot had a family member in a burqa watching their kid shoot. (Watch the rude commentary here), among hundreds of kids competing.
I shoot at Perry at matches with over a thousand shooters in just one day long match. And I watch teen girls regularly score in the very top tiers.
This sport/hobby needs to include the come as you are, be it converse sneakers, yoga pants, and inline firearms or buck skins and traditional/original firearms.
This critique is not limited to the NMLRA, but many other BP organizations that are stuck in their ways, snobs with attitude, full of disparaging remarks for this or that, blaming everyone, refusing to look inwards.
People aren't leaving these sports, they're just leaving or just simply not joining these rigid, out of step organizations.
And yes, I will continue to attend and shoot at some of these places and matches.
They might just wake up one day, and I'd love to be there when they do. Not to say I told you so, but to cheer on the future.
I am curious as to how you contributed to helping with the "problems" that you listed.

I live in Central Kentucky

I build and work on traditional Muzzleloaders. You are welcome to stop by my shop any time I am working in the shop. Just contact me ahead of when you would like to come. I try to spend time in the shop every afternoon but sometimes that doesn't happen.

I shoot traditional Muzzleloaders when I have one to shoot. Most of you say you cannot have to many muzzleloaders. Well I have a hard time hanging onto one. That plus injuries and age I don't shoot as much as I used to.

There is a club that holds shoots every month about 15 miles from me plus they hold a market fair every spring in Elizabethtown. Also have another expensive hobby that often interferes with the dates they shoot on.

I don't know about a shop selling traditional guns but Kentucky Gun Co. in Bardstown has black powder and we have an excellent barrel maker https://fcibarrels.tripod.com/home.html
Thank you for the information as well as the other.

I have ordered from KY Gun Company but online. It’s simply too far up there from my location. Same with Elizabethtown.

I read recently in the PA Game News that something like 80 THOUSAND muzzleloading hunting licenses were in use in a recent period. I've noted here that the NMLRA has only about 12,000 members, so there's many, many muzzleloaders out there who don't bother joining the organization. And that's just ONE state; over the country there are probably millions of hunters that like to go out but don't bother with the historical impressions, the building of guns, collecting, etc. Just sayin'
Membership is down to 9,000,, and in only 2 years.

I have been a life member of the NMLRA and the NRA for a few decades. Both have been targeted by gun restriction groups, but by their their efforts we can still own firearms. And if one believes that muzzleloaders will not be affected by bans, they will only be the next target, because "They can kill innocent people". Besides legal stuff, I have fired in NRA 2700 matches and NMLRA territorials around the West. Both organizations are the recognized arbiters in their disciplines. Both still deserve our support.
Also, as a personal note, I've found that muzzleloader shooters are a lot more fun to be around than the cartridge pistol shooters. Run out of 3F powder at a match? "Bear" next to you will give what you need. Run out of balls? "Skunk Waller" will give you some of his hand cast .54s. Do that in a 2700 match, and you get nada, zip, zero on your target.

Just returned from a small rendezvous that I attended for the first time. Tracked it down with a couple of phone calls. Folks were great. Swapped a lot of great yarns around the fire and shared mosquito repellent. Local stores said there was nothing going on in this area. As for the desert in Kentucky, MuzzleBlasts Magazine lists 9 NMLRA affiliated clubs and 9 field reps in the state. There are likely a few more that are independent. Spot and stalk hunting sometimes produces more results than sitting in a stand.

. We need to be friendly and approachable. Answer questions and try to get the public involved.
2. Remember not everyone can afford a $2,000 rifle all the proper attire, tent etc. Just be happy they are there let them attend, make them feel welcome, and encourage them to learn and grow slowly within the realm or muzzleloading.
3. Clubs need to have a youth and womans class, regardless of amount of shooter. Nothing says your not welcome like seclusion, and having to compete when you stand no chance. Yes, some woman and kids can successfully compete with adults, but it should be a choice.
4. Don't be a grumpy old fart. Be willing to mentor someone, all newcomers need help usually.
5. If the newcomer wins congratulate them and don't shun them.
6. It should be fun for everyone.
that goes for this forum as well . well said mr.too tall

I got started about 3 years ago with a T/C Hawken. I didn't know any flintlock shooters, so I started looking at YouTube. I found the ilovemuzzleloading channel and started watching Ethan's content. I found out about the NMLRA from his channel. I didn't join for a while, but eventually did because I wanted muzzle blasts, but I don't expect to be visiting friendship anytime soon. Thanks to the NMLRA I found a local group that does woods walks regularly - neither of my 2 gun clubs have any organized black powder groups.
While in Kempton I joined the PA federation of black powder shooters because they had a booth and were friendly, and why not?
I enjoy the history, I found i love the firearms, and the accoutrements, but I'm not so sure you'll see me in PC clothing at a rendezvous. I enjoy primitive camping , but I just don't want to accrue another set of tarps, cooking gear, clothes, etc.

That's it in a nutshell.
i think the nmlra is like the nra promises alot and delivers little so why join.i live in the south and they have nothing of a presence here other than a few clubs with old men who shoot during the week when the rest of us have to work

i think the nmlra is like the nra promises alot and delivers little so why join.i live in the south and they have nothing of a presence here other than a few clubs with old men who shoot during the week when the rest of us have to work
I think this is a great opportunity for you to organize a shoot in your area and introduce young people who have to work during the week to muzzleloading. A weekend shoot and rondevous would draw new shooters in. Include the old men who have experience with muzzleloaders as instructors and helpers. This could be an annual event and could start a monthly shoot in your area. Then you wouldn’t have to travel to enjoy muzzleloading with like minded people. There is so much opportunity in every state and county to really grow the sport and have a great time.

I am a Hunter and an NMLRA member. I hunt with the flintlocks I build. I compete along with my 13yr old son at many of the NMLRA matches including both Spring and Fall nationals. I also attend the ALR meet up, the CLA show in Lexington and other events.

Would I be an NMLRA member if I wasn't an hour away from Friendship IN? Yes because I want to support the Sport and Art of Muzzleloading and Gun building. The the magazine is an added benefit.

Why don't all of these other hunters that hunt during Muzzleloading season join? I think this has been answered above, but I agree it's lack of interest, lack of awareness and most just view the season as another opportunity to get out and hunt and that's as far as it goes for them.

I may get alot of flak for this but I don't care. I'm with 1861 Springfield. I live in SC a far cry from Indiana. I would love to go to friendship and shoot but the likelihood of doing it more than once is a stretch. I love muzzle loading. And how do I NOT support the "community" ? I support it all the time, here, and when I purchase things from the vendors and members of the "community". I also do my part to spread the love of this hobby. But I just don't understand the mentality of joining a club. It reminds me of the motorcycle world. LOTS of riders think that just because you own a motorcycle you HAVE to join some kind of club. I enjoy motorcycling mostly ALONE I don't need a large group of bikes to fulfill my enjoyment of the machine. Motorcycling will exist without the existence of a club that makes people somehow feel included. Now, with all that said, I still may join the NMLRA just for the magazine, but participating in any events most likely will never happen due to logistics.

I may get alot of flak for this but I don't care. I'm with 1861 Springfield. I live in SC a far cry from Indiana. I would love to go to friendship and shoot but the likelihood of doing it more than once is a stretch. I love muzzle loading. And how do I NOT support the "community" ? I support it all the time, here, and when I purchase things from the vendors and members of the "community". I also do my part to spread the love of this hobby. But I just don't understand the mentality of joining a club. It reminds me of the motorcycle world. LOTS of riders think that just because you own a motorcycle you HAVE to join some kind of club. I enjoy motorcycling mostly ALONE I don't need a large group of bikes to fulfill my enjoyment of the machine. Motorcycling will exist without the existence of a club that makes people somehow feel included. Now, with all that said, I still may join the NMLRA just for the magazine, but participating in any events most likely will never happen due to logistics.
i have a honda trike and the wife and i ride alone \lol

Back