• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Huntin' in the rain

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel Muzzle loaders are special, they are more adaptive than most akin to archers maybe.
They make most of their kit etc, it is this mind set that gets them thinking about their chosen type of gun and whats needed, a strong sense of independance etc.

Modern gun users just go to a store and get the ammo and look it works, apart from hand loaders maybe.

I see a M/L as an extension of the man, most other guns are machines operated by man (nice machines though :wink: )

Brits.

Saran Wrap to keep water out of a muzzleloader??? :rotf: :rotf::rotf: And I suppose there are people that think it's traditional!

Keep the muzzle down and cover the lock with a well-oiled cow's knee or just tuck it under your arm. Not only is it traditional, but I'm sure it works even better than Saran Wrap.

I guess nobody hunted in the rain before the invention of modern cartridge rifles (or Saran Wrap).

"I guess nobody hunted in the rain before the invention of modern cartridge rifles (or Saran Wrap)."

Maybe they used tightly stretched pieces of bladder to keep out the water.The original prophil.....ics were biological in origin.

He didn't ask for " Traditional". And neither did you. He asked for ideas on keeping his percussion rifle dry.

If you want traditional problem solving all you have to do is ask. I have not yet used saran wrap on my own gun because its a flintlock. I did tie a piece of oiled leather around the muzzle one day, and I plug the touchhole with a toothpick, leaving the pan dry, until I see game headed my way. I didn't have a cow's knee then, so I just kept the gun tucked under my arm.

I gave the plastic wrap answer because its the fastest and easiest way I know to seal the bore from rain, and this man indicates he's leaving on an Elk hunt soon. He can substitute wax paper, or well oiled leather patching to put in the barrel. Of course, there are other, modern products that can be purchases, like " Bore Buttons, which are wool discs soaked in bore butter. I also don't consider them traditional, and not much better than plastic wrap. But, to each his own.

Back when I took my ML safety test (when you had no choice but a sidelock if you wanted to hunt with a ML), the instructor recommended unlubed c*nd*ms to keep water out of the muzzle.

Glad I never tried that one. Be kinda hard to explain to my wife why those things were in my huntin' bag! :rotf:

Latest posts

Back