• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting practices/preferences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
roundball said:
I guess the logical conclusion is that everyone who leaves their muzzleloaders loaded, also leaves their .270 / .30-30 / .30-06 / etc. centerfire rifles (and shotguns) loaded in the garage too...
Well FWIW EVERY gun (centerfire, percussion revolver, muzzleloaders) I own is loaded 24/7/365 unless they're being cleaned - IMO tain't nothing more worthless than an unloaded firearm....

For my part, the only season I hunted with my percussion, I was in NW Oregon. It was a VERY wet year even for those parts, and its a really good thing I didn't see anything that day.

I was new to ML's and I'm sure its my fault somehow, but at the end of the day I went to discharge my rifle, and got a singularly disappointing "pop" from the cap. No boom... I had no ball puller, and still don't, though somewhere I have a CO2 device that I could use in a pinch.. So, while the sun was going down, in the dark, in the pouring rain, I carefully pulled the nipple off, picked out the flash hole, and applied as much powder as I could cram in there, probably no more than 5 or 6 grains max. new cap, aim, fire..
"POP.............fffffFwoosh! .... Smack!" the smack was a good second or three after and the tree the ball impacted upon was less than 5 yards away...

Now in fairness, as I said I was new to ML's and didnt know a lot. I now know that Traditions doesnt seal the wood under the metal parts. My ramrod was stuck in the channel from the swelled wood, and the stock was in danger of being compromised. I took the rifle down, dried the stock out really good over several days, and refinished the whole thing taking care to seal ALL areas of wood... I havent had the guts to take her out as my only weapon hunting again, though I put it in the truck most times and loaded her a couple of days without rain..

Now in answer to the question as I think you intended it, when I hunted with mine I was loading a .50 cal 370gr Maxi Hunter slug over something like 80 or 90 grains of ffg (might have been Pyrodex RS)

The good news is I'm in AZ now, so if I ever get to hunt again I doubt seriously that rain will be a problem :thumbsup:

Never understood why people would normally unload a centerfire before they left it anywhere unattended, but apparently many people don't unload muzzleloaders between uses.

Is the reason that it takes a minute to unload a ML compared to cycling a couple shells out of a .30-30 for example and people just don't want to be bothered doing that little bit of extra work with muzzleloaders?

A nice tight fitting prb combo will seal any bore...correct :hatsoff: I just like to use a lil piece of black duct tape over the bore cut flush with my knife as a lil piece o' mind! If im hunting in the rockies, etc i will leave gun loaded until i hopefully get a shot. The gun is loaded in the mtns and stays in the mtns, its not ever brought into an abode or tent even! As far as dealing with rain with a traditional rifle, ive never really had any issues ignition, wood swell, or otherwise! I soak my stocks in Watco Danish Oil for many days, thats how i finish them! After a few days drying time, i apply a few hand rubbed coats of sealer and they are in my mind "Weather Proof"

You will find a gauntlet of rsponses form leaving it loaded with no precautions to unloading and starting eacj]=h fday with a clean barrel they all work if done properly you will have to see where you feel comfortable and confident. I do not unload my flinters unless I feel the load is compromised with moisture and not because it takes any time or i am ytring to save anything but because I believe this was how it was generaly done in the past an I try to reproduce the experience from the past as best as I can. i have never had a load fail and maintani safety meautres with a loaded gun at home and in transit. Some question leaving a ML loaded and prod at those who do asing about what they do with centerfires, which is irrelevant, and these same people often complain about others trying to push their methods at others :idunno: You will find the way which works for you once you decide what you want out of the overall experience and what level you decide to play at. The spectrum is pretty much divided by how much/closely the wish to replicate history drives you and whether you can or want to step away from all you have learned before you took to the ML's and start over without a 21st century mindset. it is 0 on the scale for some and 10 for others

roundball said:
Never understood why people would normally unload a centerfire before they left it anywhere unattended, but apparently many people don't unload muzzleloaders between uses.

Is the reason that it takes a minute to unload a ML compared to cycling a couple shells out of a .30-30 for example and people just don't want to be bothered doing that little bit of extra work with muzzleloaders?

I honestly see no difference in a gun loaded that morning or the week before..I've had guns, seen guns that were "freshly loaded" and did not fire when attempt was made..I see no reason why I should unload a gun jus "because"? not lazy...never! my guns are very important to me an well care for! cleaning is no big deal no problem at all...I cannot understand your reasoning for unloading every day, anymore than you evidently do not understand mine for leaving loaded..your system works for you, mine for me,it's not a safety thing or an illegal thing.. it's jus not your thing... does not make it wrong, even if you cannot understand it.. :v

mnbearbaiter said:
Good stuff guys, yeah i assumed alot of flint guys reload every day. I was hoping that this thread would get into load preference for certain animals, like "Do you try and up powder charge for a prb when hunting elk vs deer ?" Things of that nature?

I still haven't settled on my deer load in my .58. I "thought" my load was 90gr of FFg with a .024 canvas patch. Had to go to canvas after 70gr of FFg or my patches started burning. It shot great at the range, but I then messsed up two shots in one day at 60yds during deer season. I supposed I put those over their backs. Now, I'm back down to 60gr FFg and a .020 patch and I took my last whitetail with that. I'll be heading back to the range to see what groups tighter, 60gr or 70gr FFg and then I'll just stick with that for whitetail.

If I hunted Elk, I'd go back to that 90gr load combo and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!

roundball said:

I can not legally transport a loaded 30 06 in my truck. However, I can legally transport a loaded flintlock as long as it isn't primed.
At any one time I may have 1/2 dozen guns loaded around the house, both cartridge and C&B revolvers. I have never feared loaded guns, they are only dangerous if you assume they are unloaded. Of course you can't read any of this since you have me blocked. :blah:

mnbearbaiter said:
Good stuff guys, yeah i assumed alot of flint guys reload every day. I was hoping that this thread would get into load preference for certain animals, like "Do you try and up powder charge for a prb when hunting elk vs deer ?" Things of that nature?
I shoot what ever load is the most accurate. No changes made, it's all about accurate shot placement.

Mike Brooks said:
mnbearbaiter said:
I shoot what ever load is the most accurate. No changes made, it's all about accurate shot placement.
Agreed! if you can put any size ball in "the spot" it'll do the job! :thumbsup:

"does not make it wrong, even if you cannot understand it.. '

Has anyone heard what TVM or any of the upper level production gun makers recommends on this issue of leaving a ML gun loaded?

I can't imagine that any manufacturer would say(at least publicly) that it is okay to leave a ML loaded, especially while being transported. It all depends on the circumstances- the weather, who else is around the gun (like my teenagers) and how reliable the gun is. I reload day to day during deer season just to remove the moisture variable. That doesn't mean I won't have a misfire anyway, but if it would happen I can at least feel comfortable that it wasn't due to moisture getting into the load from the previous day. Haven't had a problem so far.

I leave mine loaded over a weekend or as long as I am hunting consecutive days - unless I have been rained on or had a set snow. In which case I pull the charge and clean & wipe the rifle or gun. I also use a cow's knee to cover the lock if there is any precipitation.

As far as varying loads? No. I shoot what I have developed and filed the sights to match with my rifle. It's a .540 shooting a 0.530" ball, 0.018" patch w/Moose Snot and 85 gr FFg of Goex. Never seen an elk but it is great on whitetail and anything smaller. With smoothbores whatever patterns well with shot and a good stout load that shoots where I am pointing for round ball.

When I have carved a measure that tends to be used for both shot loads and ball. Simple and easy to remember. Get to know one good load and you'll likely do better than trying to figure out what was in the firearm vs. what you need (or forgot to bring with you).

tg said:
"does not make it wrong, even if you cannot understand it.. '

Has anyone heard what TVM or any of the upper level production gun makers recommends on this issue of leaving a ML gun loaded?
:rotf:

I don't have a problem with leaving a gun loaded as long as proper safety precautions have been taken to keep unexpected fireings from happening, IE. pan emptyed n a cover put over the frizzen, the cap pulled on a percussion, , revolver the hammer rests on an empty cylender etc. if not, your playing with fire so to speak, I've seen guns dropped n rounds go off whether modern or old style, what it take to be safe? a couple of seconds? Personally I'd rather take the time n be safe then be hurt or see somebody else hurt(or dead), just some thoughts YMHS Birdman

Stumpkiller said:
I leave mine loaded over a weekend or as long as I am hunting consecutive days - unless I have been rained on or had a set snow. In which case I pull the charge and clean & wipe the rifle or gun. I also use a cow's knee to cover the lock if there is any precipitation.

Same here, as long as I plan to hunt several days I will leave it loaded and outside. The last day of the hunt, I'll pull the charge and clean her.

:hmm: :idunno: :bull: :bull: :td: :nono: :barf: :stir: :blah: :blah:

Seems to be personal preference. I don't think it's necessary to load every day...but for less than a buck a day, I do discharge what's in there at the end of the day, and reload fresh the next morning. Just my way...I'm sure I'm wasting powder and ball, but when that big buck I've been after is in front of me, I know I'd feel like manure if the gun didn't go off and I hadn't loaded fresh that morning!!!! May be the only chance I have all season, so to me, it's worth my peace of mind even if it's not really necessary. :v

.530 home cast ball from lee mold 70 g 3f goex .018 ticking patch, I do both based on humidity and temp. I take ear plugs with me when I hunt and actually shoot from my stand. I figure practice is a good thing. There is also the occasional head shot to squirrels when you know your wife has cancelled the evening hunt, you have not seen or harvested a deer and it is time to go.

Back