• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting practices/preferences

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pull the cap put a piece of leather on the nipple and ease down the hammer.
I then lock it up so my granddaughter cannot get to it.
It is illegal to have a firearm loaded or unloaded in a house where minors have access in Kansas.

I fail to understand why a speed loader (yes I know they are plastic) can be loaded all year with
no problems but a Muzzleloader is going to get ruined by being left loaded if it was loaded while
clean and not having been fired.

I haven’t hunted with my TC Flintlock enough to decide if I should fire it at the end of the day or not.
If the pan is emptied and the touch hole it plugged it should not need to be fired just to store it
overnight but I may be in error. IMHO

Loaded or unloaded I can’t wait to go deer hunting again.

I just plain love to shoot...if the animals aren't cooperating and the only excuse I have is that the day is over....that's good enough for me. :thumbsup:

I always empty my gun by shooting at the end of the day and then clean, dry, oil and inspect it....

Depending on the gun I'll use a .440", .490" pure lead ball (.600" WW ball if it's a smoothbore) with 70 grains 3F (all), felt op wad (1/2" cushion wad in the smoothie). The patch is greased but if I shoot a second shot I use Hoppes for that. If the gun is not fired and does not get damp I leave it loaded (without prime) until fired or until the end of the season, whichever comes first.

I don't necessarily recommend my method but it has always worked for me. I respect the methods of others (and the hunters themselves) as we're talking about confidence in our guns.

My house has been child-proofed and not a single one of the little boogers has gotten in yet. :rotf:

Just an FYI...when I get back to the house I pull the load, and save the balls for the range...these are .570"s that I pulled/saved for use at the range and they went right through the bullseye like that were brand new...used the same patches that came out with them...just lost a few pennies of powder. Takes me 60-90 seconds but to each their own of course...

110610PulledHornady58calBallsCropped.jpg

Back