• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hunting- What to Take

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 50cal GPR. I am planning on using it fot deer hunting. What should I take with me in my possibles bad for a daily hunt, not in the rain but possibly snowy conditions, Thanks.

I would tape the muzzle with electricians tape right after loading and leave it there to keep moisture out of the barrel and dirt to, keep something with you like a cow knee or a piece of leather to cover the lock (if and when it snows), also keep the lock side turned down while it is snowing if you are stand hunting. If you can find them plastic cap rings to seal the cap those work well. I use them regularly on my caplocks and have never had a issue with the gun going off when I pull the trigger. Some friends of mine have kept birthday candles with them so if it starts to rain or snow they light them and let the melting wax drip around the base of the cap when on the nipple to seal it. DANNY

I 2nd the cow's knee. I always have one in my rifle bag. I only have a few items in my bag, normally for hunting. It consists for me, a primer horn, a small pouch with two flints, a jag, and a small screw driver. I carry a few balls in the pouch with some patching that I pre-cut and grease the first day of my hunt.

I also keep the jaw-bone of a deer fawn in my rifle bag for good luck. Lord knows, I need it in copious amounts.

TheHungryHunter said:
I have a 50cal GPR. I am planning on using it fot deer hunting. What should I take with me in my possibles bad for a daily hunt, not in the rain but possibly snowy conditions, Thanks.

I take three premeasured shots (90 grains of FFg, a .535 ball wraped in a .015 patch, and a #11 cap) in water proof tubes, a tin of extra caps, a sling for a long walk out, my short starter, and my hunting knife.

TheHungryHunter said:
"...possibly snowy conditions..."
In addition to other suggestions, maybe something like this will give you some ideas...I use it on days when its drizzling, would work as well for snow.
Cotton duck outer, wool army blanket liner, open along the bottom except for the muzzle end.
Used three aerosol cans of Kiwi Camp Dry spray silicone (tent spray), giving it a soaking every few days over several weeks.

4010210VirginiaRainCoveropen.jpg

3010210VirginiaRainCoverclosed.jpg

One other thing...I'm not a purist and to do my part in helping keep our planet and my hunting areas clean, I follow the same approach backpackers follow: "if I pack it in, I pack it out". For muzzleloading...(and I don't care that somebody else might have an issue with it not being “PC/HC”)...I carry what I call "field cleaning kits".
Gives me the convenience of completely field cleaning a ML after a shot so I can continue hunting for hours if need be and not worry about a fouled rifle...and lets me easily carry the dirty smelly mess out and not leave litter behind.

They consist of:
5 damp cleaning patches
5 dry patches
1 lubed patch
1 Alcohol wipe
1 Pipe cleaner
1 Q-tip
1 Muzzle mitt

FieldCleaningKits1000pix.jpg

I guess my question was pointed in the wrong direction. I think I should have asked is what does one take with him in his possibles bag for a day of hunting for whitetail deer, powder horn? balls etc.

Here's a picture of contents though some come or go depending on flint or percussion and expected weather.

DayKit_zpsd7700d95.jpg

From left to right:
1. Short Starter
2. Hunting knife (which one varies by game type)
3. A capper if hunting w/percussion, or a ring with pick, primer, and pan brush for flintlock
4. Flask for main charge powder w/measure
5. Hunting License
6. CO2 discharger with appropriate tip for type of ignition. Saves your bacon if powder gets wet and you have to blow the charge out. Much much faster and safer than pulling the load.
7. Ammunition.
8. A cow's knee if wet weather is expected
9. A flint-kit if taking the rock-lock. Has a few extra flints, a knapping hammer, a driver for the cock-jaw screw, and another pick that's much thinner (actually carry the pick as well if using caplock)
10. My possibles bag can also accommodate a small lunch and I usually have a small baggie with a few pieces of towel paper and some cleaning patches (dry...I just pour a little water from the canteen I carry when I need any of them wet).

Danny Ross said:
Some friends of mine have kept birthday candles with them so if it starts to rain or snow they light them and let the melting wax drip around the base of the cap when on the nipple to seal it. DANNY

Instead of that..I simply use chapstick if I am that worried.I don't know if I'd like an open flame that close to the cap of a loaded rifle... Normally with a percussion I don't do much of anything in damp conditions.If it's raining hard I point my muzzle to the ground and cover the action with my arm. I also make sure( if it's really cold out) I leave my rifle in the garage the night before and set it in the bed of my truck, rather than the cab. That way it stays the same temp as the outdoors and prevents the barrel from " sweating".
Just my 2 cents..and a little O.T.

A five shot load block a short starter a capper or primer horn and 5 pre measured loads in plastic tubes. If it rains I put the lock area under mt coat. I do not tape the muzzle because I keep them pointed down. I have a small possiable bag that these things go into. Good Luck and Enjoy! Geo. T.

I like Roundball's field case. Made one simlar to it years ago. Mine is a old wool army blanket cut to fit my guns past the grip but not full lenght. I have the same cut up the middle Roundball has. Mine was designed to allow me to carry a rifle by the sling while the rifle was in the case. I too use plenty of camp dry to water proof the wool. I put black tape over the muzzle when deer hunting.

On an afternoon hunt I carry about 5 TC quick loaders or TC 4&1 loaders. A TC star 7 capper, nipple wrench few spare balls, few patches nipple pick, ball puller, patch puller and a jag.

I don't carry a horn unless it is on a small game hunt.

Back