• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have 2 Ray Catron mule ear locks.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a GR Douglas 45cal barrel and a real nice cherry blank. Am new to this sport so need some advice as to whether this lock/barrel/wood combination could be used to produce a poor boy style rifle? I also have a Russ Hamm lock but it has lots of engraving so probably not in keeping with a plain designed rifle.

Let me preface this by saying I'm no expert, but, it is generally accepted that mule ear locks are a later design. The later guns tended to be less ornamented and more utilitarian in nature. As to full or half stock, I would go halfstock, IMHO it just looks right. I have seen pictures of mule ear guns with brass scopes and target sights. In the end it's your gun. Use the wood and parts you have and add the appropriate hardware. Be sure to post some pictures when your done. :thumbsup:

.....and there are Upper Susquehanna school guns that use mule's-ear locks and sport a lot of brass.

"Poor boy" style generally refers to unfurnished Southern Appalacian guns, N.C./TN. area. Off the top of my head I don't recall any mule's-ears on Southern guns...anybody?

Enjoy, J.D.

Many thanks for the response. I do have a cherry half stock. The douglas barrel is 42" Perhaps 36" would be in better keeping with a later style. I have a 40 cal which might suit? I do have a couple of Silor locks if that would be in better keeping with a Southern Mountaim ( poor boy )look.

You're asking what's appropriate so....Siler's are Germanic style locks. Despite what the "kit" seller produce, to date all the original Southern Mountain Rifles that have been discovered had English style locks.

You could build a Pennsylvania style plain gun, what some call a Schimmel or a Barn Gun. Basically a Yankee version of a Poor Boy. Eastern Pennsylvania lines, Germanic lock, brass trigger guard and pipes, no buttplate or sideplate, etc.

Then there's the matter of the half stock....not appropriate for either of these unless you are going to build what appears to have been a rifle that had it's forestock broken at some point and shortened.

J.D.

MM4.jpg

Well here is my Muley Halfstock?
Designed the lock myself, it has a fly on the assembly.. it also includes a take-down feature and have a 28 gauge smooth barrel ( made from an abused .50 cal rifle barrel )that can go on it. Everything fits the same forearm.

For a poorboy, just build a southern mountain style PB and fit the Muleys to it!!

Would you care to show any pics of the locks?? always interested in seeing how someone else, put it together!!

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Pretty Gun ! I like your advice. Have pics of the mule ear locks but have not figured out how to upload to my formum topic. :hmm:

Here is a mule ear rifle made by William Gardner from Geneva NY ca. 1830-40. Gardner was the son in law of PA's own William Antes.
WGardnerGENEVA001.jpg
WGardnerGENEVA013.jpg
This rifle is a walnut full stock with the somewhat uncommon double cheek pieces for left and right hand shooters. 45 caliber rifled 38" straight barrel.

This next rifle was made by Charles Miller from NY and is a halfstock mule ear in 32 caliber. I have found that this style of lock was widely used in NY state along the border with Pennsylvania's Wilkes Barr\upper susquahana region.
C.MillerNYMuleEarRifle001.jpg
C.MillerNYMuleEarRifle004.jpg

My last rifle is an unsigned piece possibly made by S. Morrison. I belive it is from the Wilkes Barr PA area.
GraveofJohnShell005.jpg

:bow: Many thanks to all of you. I now have direction and will use my Mule Ear lock. Perhaps some of you " old timers" in NMLRA will recall Jim Catlon of Cutlar,In. Both my locks were made by him.

Just to add in another..want to say a Medberry??
or some similar name.. sorry can't recall exactly..

Muley.jpg

Muley2.jpg

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Jumpy,

don't know why that didn't work?? other than maybe the size of the file/files was too big for my mail system to handle.. might require multiple sends...

IF I can figure out my gmail password :hmm: I'll have you try on that one...

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Captjoel said:
Here is a mule ear rifle made by William Gardner from Geneva NY ca. 1830-40. Gardner was the son in law of PA's own William Antes.
WGardnerGENEVA001.jpg
WGardnerGENEVA013.jpg
This rifle is a walnut full stock with the somewhat uncommon double cheek pieces for left and right hand shooters. 45 caliber rifled 38" straight barrel.

UH-OH~!
the 'thin-police' will be after this fella!!!!...why, look at that wrist...way too heavy....and those cheek piece's....two on one rifle???? :stir:
see....i believe in each make has his thoughts and ways of making a piece....now IF wer're copying a maker...than yeah~ make it the same~

ahahahahaaaa... this is all in fun fella's~ :haha:

Kaintuck,

I know you're just having sport but I think you would be suprised how "thin" that gun is if you handled it. Most of this vintage/style are a lot more petite than they appear in photos because we have a predetermined idea of "scale" based on modern incarnations (i.e. Traditions, T/C, etc.) that does not translate to photos.

I recently had the opportunity to handle a couple of Great Western Gunworks guns like one discussed on this board not so long ago. In my minds eye, after seeing pictures of what appeared to be a gun similer in architecture and furniture to a western plains rifle, I was really taken back by the diminutive scale of these guns.

Enjoy, J.D.

Back