• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want to dry fire, how to safely?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagKarl

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a caplock GPR. I want to dry fire for practice. How can I do this without hurting anything. Is nipple and hammer damage the only concern, or are the lock innerds at risk as well? I squandered good opportunities on deer and bear (missed) this season (my first with BP) and don't want that to happen again. I need more practice.

IMHO dry-firing won't hurt a thing provided you don't snap the hammer directly onto the nipple - see below for more info. And it sure will help your shootin'!

Percussion:
I take a real cork or synthetic wine bottle 'cork' (preferred) and cut it to be 1/2"-5/8" high. On the side to the nipple, I bore a 3/16" hole or +/- to just fit snug on top of the nipple. Dry fire away!

Flintlocks:
I made a 'flint' out of hard teakwood and it works slick!

One slick tip giveme when I first got into flinchlocks was to sit on the backporch and using just 4F powder in the pan, I'd hold and shoot the pan powder off while trying to balance a penny out on the barrel.

Works great :thumbsup: , as my smoothie is now a true flintlick!

Rebel nailed it. Take your nipple to the store. The faucet washer or a small rubber grommet will work nicely. Wonky

Don't you use the set trigger? Why not just leave the hammer down on the nipple, set the trigger and then squeeze it off. It's the same trigger pull as when the hammer is cocked. Le Grand

Rebel said:
One of the small cone shaped rubber sink washers placed over the nipple will keep the hammer from contacting it.

:thumbsup:
works real good!

Rebel said:
One of the small cone shaped rubber sink washers placed over the nipple will keep the hammer from contacting it.

That is the best suggestion I have heard yet for dry fire! Everything else I have tried always ends up plugging the nipple.

I drilled a little hole in the bottom of a thick Nitro shotgun wad. I use it for dry fire and to cover the nipple when the cap is off over night. I keep one in the patchbox of all my guns.

If you find one of those cheap erasers that fit over a pencil that has its own eraser bitten off, or worn down, you can put that over the nipple to catch your hammer blows. Also, those stick erasers, that are about 3 inches long, and an inch wide, and half an inch thick, pink, that you still see in office supply stores, and stationary stores, can be cut up to make a number of plugs to put, one at a time, as they are used, over the nipples, to catch the blow of the hammer.

I use the very small O-rings that fit over the stem of the nipple. One or two of them are tall enough to catch the skirt of the hammer, and keep the hammer from pounding the top of the bare nipple. The 0-rings cost now about $.02 each, but you usually can get a " deal " if you buy a dozen, or more at a time. Either way, we are talking pocket change to solve this problem.

A number of great ideas given.

Although it doesn't give the impression of firing as actually pulling the trigger and having the hammer/cock fall, if you want to just get used to the light set trigger you can "fire" the trigger after setting it as often as you want. The only words of caution is if you are just "firing" the set trigger you must have the hammer in the "fired" position, that is to say in the "hammer down" position. Never "fire" the set trigger with the hammer at the "half cock" position as doing so can break the sear or the tumbler half cock notch.

The rubber washer is good. Another one that works is the aquarium air line - just cut a few short lengths and make your own washers...

Thanks to all for the input. It looks like I have two good options, using just the triggers with no hammer, or put on a nipple protector for which several good ideas were shared. I appreciate it.

Rebel said:

:hatsoff:
Best way I have found, use them alot on shotguns.

Back