• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

IFG Guns - What's the story?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKeshen

36 Cal.
Reaction score
In another thread I spoke of purchasing a Pedersoli Charles Moore flintlock. The gun I purchased was from Cheaper Than Dirt, but was in fact imported by a company called IFG (Italian Firearms Group).

The gun came to me really dirty and with a flint in it (seemed odd), but was otherwise OK. The set trigger on it was a real hair trigger and the adjustment did not work to make it any heavier. The gun seemed to me unsafe to shoot. Just touch the trigger and the hammer would drop.

I called CTD and told them of the trigger problem. They were very nice and said to return the gun to them. I said OK and asked for a replacement. The manual with the gun said that IFG offered a lifetime warranty, but getting a new gun from CTD seemed to be a better way to go.

Now...I did a little search on the Internet and it seems that IFG (a consortium of Italian gun manufacturers) went out of business a year or two ago. So what good is a lifetime warranty if the company is no longer around.

I'm thinking about just asking CTD for a refund and paying a little more money and buying the gun from a Pedersoli dealer.

Anyone have any experience with IFG or know what the story is with them?

Given your experience with the pistol you got and the fact that IFG isn't around any more I would go for the refund and buy something you feel confident with. I don't know much about IFG but gather it wasn't on the scene very long. I expect you could find parts for the IFG gun as there seems to be others selling the same pistol from time to time but the warranty wouldn't be worth much. :( If the initial price was very good, the replacement is acceptable and you don't mind chasing down parts and fitting them if/when they are needed you could stay with what you have. :hmm:

The gun is made by Pedersoli, but imported by IFG. It is exactly the same as the Pedersoli Moore pistol, so parts should not be a problem. It comes in a Pedersoli box, with the Pedersoli DVD included. It is the Pedersoli Charles Moore pistol, but for about $100 less. The manual is exactly the same except it has the IFG logo on it (along with the Pedersoli logo) and stipulates that the gun is warranteed by IFG.

I sent an email yesterday to the email address that IFG has on the back page of the gun manual asking if they are still doing business and if their guns were covered by warranty.

Late last night I received a response from a Mr. Justin Dodd who said he was the GM of IFG. He said, "To simplify the responses to your questions, yes IFG is still in business. The IFG that imported your firearms is no longer active. It was essentially a subsidiary of EAA. As of right now, we are setting up a warehouse in Amarillo, Texas to handle importation and service of IFG products. Your firearms are certainly under warranty and do not hesitate to purchase more of them." He also gave me a phone number to reach him if I had more questions.

Meanwhile, my gun is on the way back to CTD with a request for them to send me a new one. We'll see what happens, but with the email from Mr. Dodd I am feeling a bit better about my purchase.

I don't know anything about IFG, but your replacement pistol will probably have exactly the same trigger pull as the one you returned. If you set the trigger by pushing it forward, it is supposed to be a hair trigger. If you don't want that, pull the trigger without setting it, you will find it fairly heavy.

Alan

I have the same trigger on a Pedersoli Le Page, and when I first got that gun it too had a "hair trigger", but the adjustment screw under the trigger allowed me to make it just a tad heavier so I could at least place my finger on it.

This Moore trigger is even lighter than the Le Page trigger was. If you just touch it with your finger the cock falls, and the adjustment screw did nothing to make it any heavier.

I do not believe that is the way it should work. I am hoping the replacement gun is not the same as the one I sent back.

Sorry it took so long to reply - I was at the California State Muzzleloading championships. You are correct in that it shouldn't be much different from the LePage. When you say "adjustment screw under the trigger," where is the screw? If you mean the one that sticks down into the trigger guard, that is the "let-off" (I'm not sure the proper title) for the set mechanism. You adjust that by setting the trigger (hammer up or down) and then screwing the screw in until the mechanism fires, then backing off until you have safe engagement (usually 1/2 turn or so - too little and it is unsafe, too much and it will be "creepy".) The set trigger weight is a function of the spring that drives the set mechanism - when I have a chance I'll look at my Pedersoli to see if there is any easy adjustment. Hope this helps,
Alan

Back