• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ignition

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm very aware of issues being mentioned. This TC Hawken I built 42 years ago. No mechanism drag. No hammer interference. Hammer cup strikes square center. Have shot it to the point I've shot out a barrel. Just bumped it from .45 to .50. Never have had any issues with ignition except when it goes from very cold morning to almost short sleeve afternoon or visa versa. I always do good cleaning and pop some primers prior to loading. Never take from warm out to cold including components. Have tried 3f, RS and P. Only load right before heading to hunt area. This is the only situation it happens. I've gone squirrel hunting all day and not had problems. The only difference is I wasn't getting up before daylight to head out. Same has happened loading up in evening to go varmiting, after dark when it gets cold, pop no bang or no pop. Can go to range and shoot all day and no problems.
Anyway just got my mag sparks and I really like that it sends sparks out the barrel. Even does with my long barreled Kentucky. Be using #11s at range and 209s hunting in adverse temp changes. We'll see.

I always do good cleaning and pop some primers prior to loading. Never take from warm out to cold including components. Have tried 3f, RS and P. Only load right before heading to hunt area. This is the only situation it happens. I've gone squirrel hunting all day and not had problems. The only difference is I wasn't getting up before daylight to head out. Same has happened loading up in evening to go varmiting, after dark when it gets cold, pop no bang or no pop. Can go to range and shoot all day and no problems.

Going from warm to cold shouldn't present a problem. going from cold to warm can.

What are you cleaning with prior to loading? if you clean, there should be no need to snap a cap.
I would also ask what you protect with prior to that cleaning.
Everything you describe suggests a cleaning issue.

I can load my gun and leave it loaded for months and it will fire without hesitation.

I suggest cleaning with pure alcohol. ethanol or methanol pour a thimble full down the barrel and force it out the nipple. Then load without snapping caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back