• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm an idiot!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce H

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have found today that everyone is correct, the powder should be poured down the barrel BEFORE the PRB is pushed down the barrel!! So now I have a PRB loaded with no powder and I have to get it out. I tried a ball puller, but I must have a very poor quality puller because I cannot get it started in the ball. The end of the puller screw actually looks pretty blunt.

I am thinking about giving it a shot of compressed air. How do I get a decent seal at the nipple? Any other ideas for getting the ball out? I read about some people putting a zerk fitting in and pushing it out with a grease gun, but the thought of all that grease in the barrel brings tears to my eyes.

Remove the nipple and use an air nozzle with a small pointed rubber tip.

Good luck!

SC45-70

If you can't pull it, and can't bloop it out with 10-15grns of powder in through the nipple seat, and can't bloop it out with an air compressor or a CO2 discharger...then the grease gun in a viable option.

I've personally done that to push a cheap brush back up out of the muzzle that pulled loose from the ramrod.
It's actually quite easy...when the object is clear of the muzzle, then just slowly push a cleaning jag & patch back down bore and 99% of the grease simply pushes right back out of the nipple seat.
Then just clean the bore the same way you would if you just got back from the range.

CAUTION:
If you try any of the "force" methods to bloop the ball out, pay attention to the muzzle direction...its easy to get distracted and blow the ball right through something / hurt somebody.

Welcome to the dryball club!
seat the ball down as far into the barrel it will go...remove the nipple..fill the flash hole with bp screw nipple back in..shoot it out...

WARNING!!! this rb will be going faster than you think...have a solid back stop.
or buy a new ball puller.....
or get a co dis-charger,or pump with grease...brake cleaner will flush it out.
Good luck..

Blunt ball pullers are difficult to get started, alright. What I've done that works extremely well is to simply sharpen the tip of the puller jag. I don't know if you were using a range rod or the under barrel rod but using a range rod is about the only way to do it.

Bruce H said:
I have found today that everyone is correct, the powder should be poured down the barrel BEFORE the PRB is pushed down the barrel!!

WHAT????? When did all this start???

No biggie, good advice above. Take nipple out insert powder, put nipple in, stroke the ball ALL the way down and BLOOP her right outa there. :haha:

When I do this, I like to shoot it at something to confirm she came out.....saves messing around with the ramrod again.

Welcome to "The Club", Skycief.

Welcome to the Club of "dry baller´s". As you can see the membership is free, life long, and the next two or three days many members will be congratulating you :bow: :grin:
The powder trick works fine.... :wink:

Thanks for welcoming me into the club...I think :grin: Oh well, I needed something to do today!

I hadn't thought about sharpening the ball puller, I'll give that a try first because it's safest. Next time I head out to the range, I'm going to swing by Track of the Wolf and see what they have for a better ball puller. Oh and I do have an aluminum range rod.

I did try putting some FF powder down the nipple seat but it seemed too course and didn't want to go in. Is FFF fine enough? Is it safe to use a mortar & pestle to make it finer? I use Triple 7 and have some FFF for my revolver.

Bruce H said:
I did try putting some FF powder down the nipple seat but it seemed too course and didn't want to go in. Is FFF fine enough? Is it safe to use a mortar & pestle to make it finer? I use Triple 7 and have some FFF for my revolver.
Sure...with Flintlocks, 4F priming powder is often used to bloop out a dry ball.
Another quick way to reduce granulation size is to use something like a 35mm film canister...fill 1/3-1/2 full, drop in a lead ball, and shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds while holding the cap on tight.

NOTE: Don't know the configuration of your range rod, but something like a T-handle or a 2" wooden ball that screws onto the end of a rod can be invaluable for pulling a load.

Remove the nipple and work a little bit of powder into the bore. It doesn't take much. Then be sure your ball is seated all the way down in the bore. Replace the nipple, cap it, point it in a safe dirrection and shoot the ball out. This is the technique that I and many others use when we do the same thing as you did. Don't feel bad, we all do it from time to time.

I have a friend who has engraved on his powder horn the words "This the rule above all, first the powder, then the ball."

Congrats! :thumbsup: Look at it this way, there's those of us who have done this and admit it, those who have ane don't admit it, and those who will do it. Aren't you glad to have gotten this out of the way? Now you've got the experience so it won't be intimidating next time. Yes, I know it's hard to believe, but there WILL be a next time eventually. Don't ask how I know... :doh:

Being an ex-pat Minnesootan I am ashamed at your incompetence. I always brag on how perfect everybody and everything is back in Minnesoota. Hell, I never even dry balled until I moved down here to the South, so I figured it had something to do with the effect of the sun's angle on brain function. Welcome to the club :blah:

All good options. I personally have used fffg trickled in after removing the nipple. It only takes a couple of grains, and yes, it will be moving so keep the muzzle in a safe direction.

BTW, Glad to have you joining us! :wink:

Ghettogun said:
Being an ex-pat Minnesootan I am ashamed at your incompetence. I always brag on how perfect everybody and everything is back in Minnesoota. Hell, I never even dry balled until I moved down here to the South, so I figured it had something to do with the effect of the sun's angle on brain function. Welcome to the club :blah:

:grin: :grin:

Welcome to the club! You really aren't a muzzleloader shooter until you have dryballed at least once. I just dryballed again mother's day weekend( yes, it will happen again)lol. It happens.

Yep, you load the ball first and then put the powder on top, you can get a back fire. Just kidding! :doh: You are in good company, as I do it more often then I will ever admit. I know many will tell you that they use a compressor and if you do, I hope it works well for you. It just never has for me though. 150 psi, with the rubber tip on the my air nozzle, just never worked for me. Also another dumb move I have made, was to unscrew the range rod from the ball puller screw, while the ball puller screw is screwed into the ball that is down the barrel. Now, why would I do that? Do you have any idea how lucky one must be to get the ball puller screw re-threaded in the range rod? :idunno: My personal best luck is stuffing as much 4f as is reasonable behind the ball. If you do this, please check to be sure that the ball exists the bore when you try to shoot it out. If it doesn't, attempt to put more powder behind the ball and then reseat the ball firmly on the powder!

MSW said:
ayup, those who did, those who won't admit it, and those who will soon...
YUP..Ive done it several times in one day..I just took the nipple off and poured in about 10 grains of powder and shot it out,no biggie...just a bit embarrassing when your demonstrating in front of a non-M'ler crowd..

I dry balled twice in a row at the range one time. On the third attempt I sent the ramrod down range. Time to go home. :redface: :redface:

Vern

Latest posts

Back