• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm an idiot!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't be ashamed. Happens to everyone now or later.
Happened to me so many times that I got a decent shot group at 25 yds. :rotf:
Vearl

Welcome to the AAIU. The American Association of Idiots United. :rotf:

Bout time you joined up with the rest of us. Only way to advance in the ranks however, is to come up with a new way of dry balling that none of us have thought of. Yet. :grin:

I, to have dry balled , i was a little embarrassed also, i just pulled the nipple and put powder in and tamped it and kept doing it till it was enough and it shot right out, another thing i did was , load the gun and went down range and looked at the targets, and when i got back i loaded it again, DAMN I WAS STUPID, any way had to pull one complete load to fire the other one out. I could just see what would have happened if i shot it with 2 loads in it, just have to keep your mind in what you are doing out there. :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Ken Clements said:
Welcome to the Club of "dry baller´s". As you can see the membership is free, life long, and the next two or three days many members will be congratulating you :bow: :grin:
The powder trick works fine.... :wink:

I told you many members would welcome you :grin: :blah:
I even thinking it could even be a membership requirement here in the forum :patriot:

Bruce,
While I understand that you would like membership in the Idiot Club, I am afraid that just dryballing while target shooting is not going to pay the dues. You really need to have a wounded whitetail in a cedar windbreak that needs a finisher -- and then dryball. I will not go into details as they may cause someone embarassment...and I hate to be embarassed!! :redface:

Let my mind wander just this morning and double-balled the .40cal TVM Late Lancaster.
When I saw where the range rod stopped I called myself an idiot (among other things) and then pulled the 2nd ball back out of the way.

Thanks guys, I feel a little better now that I know I'm a new member of a not-so-exclusive club. And I just got it out too. I used FFF powder and it shot right out into the sandbag I had set up in the garage, backed up with a 2x10 just in case.

I am still going to stop by TOW next week to pick up a decent ball puller and a "few" other things :wink:

dry balling is a very common thing. in fact there are 3 kinds of b-p shooters.
one that has dry balled
one that will dryball some time
one that has and lies about it not ever happening.

one match i was at i blooped out enough balls that some one asked if i had a breach loader.

the bloop it out with powder is the best and first method to try.
next is the compressed air or co2 discharger
next would be the gresse gun.

i would not ever try to pull out a ball with a ball puller. i would give that about a 1 in 30 chance of working. after the ball puller fails then they bring them to me.

1 in 30? I must be really lucky, cause so far, I am going on it working 100% of the time. Um, uh, I mean, it would work 100% of the time IF I ever dryballed. And I haven't ever... uh, who am I kidding. But seriously, it has worked every single time I have tried it. I use a ball puller with my flinters and put a little bit of powder under the nipple in caplocks.

Welcome to the Honorable Society of Dry-Ballers, whose only obligation of members is to smile, welcome new members graciously, and welcome old members BACK s often as they appear.

The only sure thing in life if you shoot MLers, is that you Will Dry Ball your gun eventually. :blah: How many more times you do it depends on on how much longer you live, and continue to shoot Mlers! :doh: :shocked2: :grin:

Have a soft drink to celebrate your membership, and buy one for the guy who helps you get that Da*# ball out of your gun! :hatsoff: :haha:

Well, just to set your mind at ease, I double loaded 3 times at one event (powder,ball,powder,ball). The gun didn't blow up.

bob308 said:
I would not ever try to pull out a ball with a ball puller. i would give that about a 1 in 30 chance of working.
Wow...surprised to hear that.
IMO, pulling a ball is simple...all you need is a good puller attachment, a good rod, a wooden ball or T-handle to get hold of, and slide them right up and out.

Speaking only for myself, I've always found pulling a ball to be the fastest, simplest method by far, compared to getting out a CO2 discharger and using that.
I unload my Flintlocks in the garage when I get back to the house after a day's hunt...only takes a matter of seconds.
Pull the PRBs and drop them in a ziploc bag for use at the range after hunting season...usually have 2-3 dozen PRBs saved up like that after deer season

Eventually, everyone will dry ball.
Less common are those who neglect the last step in the loading procedure.
It's surprising how much extra recoil is present when you send the ramrod downrange.

I'm all in. :redface: Repeat customer even. :doh: Here's a hint. Next time you are at the doctor's and he looks in your ears with that funny light with the funnel on the end ask to have the funnel when he/she's done. They throw 'em away. Best thing for funnelling powder down a nipple / touch hole, and it's free. :grin:

I actually did forget to load a ball once and set off only powder. It took me a minute to figure out what the heck happened until I realized I forgot the ball.

Bruce H said:
I actually did forget to load a ball once and set off only powder. It took me a minute to figure out what the heck happened until I realized I forgot the ball.

Friend of mine did the same thing while he was hunting. He has one of those plastic/stainless "things":)barf:). He shoved a powder pellet down the barrel without a sabot and and shot it out. It looked just like a fireworks fountain. I thought he was going to set the CRP on fire...you know after a guy reaches the age of 60 you start expecting better things from him. :doh:

TGJaeger said:
Friend of mine did the same thing while he was hunting. He has one of those plastic/stainless "things":)barf:). He shoved a powder pellet down the barrel without a sabot and and shot it out. It looked just like a fireworks fountain. I thought he was going to set the CRP on fire...you know after a guy reaches the age of 60 you start expecting better things from him. :doh:

Oh I don't know... :hmm: I think I've got worse since I turned 60. All my really dumb things have happened after 60. In fact, I blame everything on my advanced (63) age.

We've all done it, me too..
Remove your nippel put a little powder in and shoot it out is all you have to do.

Bruce H said:
TGJaeger said:

Oh I don't know... :hmm: I think I've got worse since I turned 60. All my really dumb things have happened after 60. In fact, I blame everything on my advanced (63) age.

I am NOT going to argue that! Hitting 60 was not the end of the world - but I can see it from here. :grin:

BTW, there is more to my friend's story here but I'll not bore you with it.. :yakyak:

Latest posts

Back