• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

i'm fit to be tied grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
leserz said:
i found a way to make a bore light for my side lock. what i did was remove the screw in the side of the (snail) ? thing where the nipple screws into. then i used my mini mag flash light. i un screwed the end of the light where the reflector is.un screw it off the housing as if your going to use it as a candle. then stick the bulb into the hole where that screw was that i took off. walla !!! bore light. not the greatest but you can see all the way back to the breach plug.
hmmm never thought of doing that and here I sit with a add on for mine of a small flexible fiber optic on the end of it so now I am also going to take out the clean up screw and take a look. Thanks!

let me know how it worked for you.
i think if i go to the hardware store get a few brass flat washers and use a allen head screw and get the washers a but smaller than the bore and use a ram rod with the washers on the ram rod i can scrape away that ring of crud..

You might consider pulling the nipple off and sticking your bore light into the opening there, it's a little larger and you might not lose the nipple as easily as the small screw.
Sometimes I tie a string onto things I tend to lose. That way when the thing comes up missing, I'll look for the string. Trouble is sometimes I forget which end of the string the thing is tied to. :rotf:

DoubleDeuce 1 said:
Sometimes I tie a string onto things I tend to lose. That way when the thing comes up missing, I'll look for the string. Trouble is sometimes I forget which end of the string the thing is tied to. :rotf:
thats why you tie it to your finger that way when you smack your forhead it is hanging in front of your eyes :wink: :rotf:

leserz said:
in a different post i talked about a CVA plainsman 50 cal rifle. well i did not get that . what i did buy used was a CVA sharpshooter 50 cal uses # caps. when i got it home i started to clean it up good. thats when all heck broke loose. the bore was rusted up some so i kept spraying PB blaster in it then used a bore brush like mad. sprayed some patches with the pb.till it came out cleaner then more pb with the brush more soaked pb blaster patches kept doing this about 10 times. so far so good then i had some of T/C # 13 bore cleaner thats where i almost lost it. soaked a patch in the #13 bushed it down son of a gun stuck all the way down. ok got a coat hanger to try to fish the patch out. needless to say that did not work. so off to the gun shop got a parch puller and a bullet puller also . so got it out with the puller. scrubbed it some more with the pb blaster more bp soaked patches. thought there might be some crud left in the bore. so patches are comming out kind of clean. so i like a fool try the #13 again same think stuck down the bore. yep patch was wet. went to pull like heck i pulled the end off the cleaning rod. see where this is going ? so now i have a stuck patch and jag stuck. after cussing for a while i thought oh great now what? so had my phone handy to call 911. when i took out the nipple put just a bit of powder in it put the nipple back on put a cap on fired ar mt recliner. yea i'm in the house.fired patch and jag came out hit the chair. so like a moron i try to use the #13 again. this time i will not use the wood ram rod i will use my unbreakable Knight aluminum ram rod. guess what the do brake .grrrrrrrrrr. pulled the end off the rod just like the wood rod. so like a fool did the powder behind the nipple again. this time the patch , jag, ram rod are stuck down the bore. just great right ? so i did the powder thing again to blow out the rod, patch, jag out. ok pop it fires. all good right ? WRONG ! now i can't find the ram rod or jag. cant find them ant place .how hard would you think it would be to find a 30" ram rod fired at a recliner 10 foot away in one room? pretty darn hard. still can not hind it. no it's not in the bore. so how many idiots does it take to find a ram rod in a room ? i never used the #13 stuff before that normal? or do i still have crud at the bottom of the bore that keeps hanging up on ? the patches come right out when i use the patches soaked in the pb blaster. or throw away the # 13 stuff and just use soap and water i'm going to use triple 7 FFFG. hope your day went better than mine i'm new to the side lock muzzle loaders. i have a inline that i have used some. i like the side locks more than the in lines.

Holy Moly................ You are a disaster waiting for a place to happen. :rotf: Was your wife in the recliner when all of this occured ? :hmm: :rotf: :rotf:

leserz said:
in a different post i talked about a CVA plainsman 50 cal rifle. well i did not get that . what i did buy used was a CVA sharpshooter 50 cal uses # caps. when i got it home i started to clean it up good. thats when all heck broke loose. the bore was rusted up some so i kept spraying PB blaster in it then used a bore brush like mad. sprayed some patches with the pb.till it came out cleaner then more pb with the brush more soaked pb blaster patches kept doing this about 10 times. so far so good then i had some of T/C # 13 bore cleaner thats where i almost lost it. soaked a patch in the #13 bushed it down son of a gun stuck all the way down. ok got a coat hanger to try to fish the patch out. needless to say that did not work. so off to the gun shop got a parch puller and a bullet puller also . so got it out with the puller. scrubbed it some more with the pb blaster more bp soaked patches. thought there might be some crud left in the bore. so patches are comming out kind of clean. so i like a fool try the #13 again same think stuck down the bore. yep patch was wet. went to pull like heck i pulled the end off the cleaning rod. see where this is going ? so now i have a stuck patch and jag stuck. after cussing for a while i thought oh great now what? so had my phone handy to call 911. when i took out the nipple put just a bit of powder in it put the nipple back on put a cap on fired ar mt recliner. yea i'm in the house.fired patch and jag came out hit the chair. so like a moron i try to use the #13 again. this time i will not use the wood ram rod i will use my unbreakable Knight aluminum ram rod. guess what the do brake .grrrrrrrrrr. pulled the end off the rod just like the wood rod. so like a fool did the powder behind the nipple again. this time the patch , jag, ram rod are stuck down the bore. just great right ? so i did the powder thing again to blow out the rod, patch, jag out. ok pop it fires. all good right ? WRONG ! now i can't find the ram rod or jag. cant find them ant place .how hard would you think it would be to find a 30" ram rod fired at a recliner 10 foot away in one room? pretty darn hard. still can not hind it. no it's not in the bore. so how many idiots does it take to find a ram rod in a room ? i never used the #13 stuff before that normal? or do i still have crud at the bottom of the bore that keeps hanging up on ? the patches come right out when i use the patches soaked in the pb blaster. or throw away the # 13 stuff and just use soap and water i'm going to use triple 7 FFFG. hope your day went better than mine i'm new to the side lock muzzle loaders. i have a inline that i have used some. i like the side locks more than the in lines.

If its rusted the barrel is junk.
The likely problem is the use of P-dex or triple 7. Both are aggressively corrosive and once pitted further use simply keeps accelerating the process since its practically impossible to get the fouling out of the pits.
Due to wide spread use of this stuff I would not buy a used ML unless I knew who had been using it and what propellant was used.

Dan

i bought what i could afford. some times that works sometimes it don't. i will find out soon when i take it to the range. if i can keep them all in a paper plate at 100 yards after working on a good load. that works for me. if not oh well. i might find a good barrel . but i will take donations to get a new ML :wink:

huntman58 said:
leserz said:
i found a way to make a bore light for my side lock. what i did was remove the screw in the side of the (snail) ? thing where the nipple screws into. then i used my mini mag flash light. i un screwed the end of the light where the reflector is.un screw it off the housing as if your going to use it as a candle. then stick the bulb into the hole where that screw was that i took off. walla !!! bore light. not the greatest but you can see all the way back to the breach plug.
hmmm never thought of doing that and here I sit with a add on for mine of a small flexible fiber optic on the end of it so now I am also going to take out the clean up screw and take a look. Thanks!
Well I tried it out on 4 CVA guns. Removed the clean out screw and wow it works like a charm with the fiber optic wand on the end of the Minnie magi light. Can see the barrel and rifling from muzzle to breach good. just do not push it in all the way as if yaw do it also blocks the light but looking down the barrel all the time it went from a tiny bit of light to letting me see the whole barrel and breach so yup it works good and my seal of approval for what ever that’s worth :wink:

Latest posts

Back