• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I'm looking for thoughts on my plan

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have owned and hunted with a T/C .50 and a custom .54 for many a year. I have hunted mostly Pa but also surrounding States plus Colorado and Canada. I also have a civil war percussion smoothbore that I have shot but blows back out of the nipple. As a result it lives on the wall. I am a sinner or a heretic in that I have loaded my .50 with shot a time or 2 during small game season. I am now moving to Alaska and I think I want a large caliber smooth bore for versatility to be used on both large and small game. I realize that 50 yards will be my max range but that's ok. A single won't weigh too much to carry the distance yet still have the punch for everything from hare to moose. I saw a 9 ga for sale that may fit the bill. I am also considering a brown Bess but those are big bucks in comparison. Am I on the right track or should I be considering multiple poles?

Check the vent on the civil war gun, I do not know the history of the gun but if it was previously owned by a re-enactor the hole in the vent may have been bored out oversize, Quick fix just re-place the vent even if it is a original this should fix the problem. Beyond that perhaps a trip to a QUALIFIED gunsmith would help.

Over 40 years living in AK has taught me not to put too much faith in the one-gun approach. The situations and game are so varied, you'll really hamstring yourself. I use rifles from 30 cal to 62 cal, both flint and percussion. I use smoothies from 20 gauge to 10 gauge and am closing in on a 28. Love em all and use em all with no regrets. I'd figure out what you want to hunt first and most, and get the best gun for that. It will be useful for other things, but you'll be happier if you wait til you get up here to add more.

One other thing to watch for: Prior to moving up here I went nuts trying to guess which guns I'd have to have (all cartridge guns). Got lots of advice from guys and shops who were only too happy to take the "wrong guns" off my hands in trade and sales. Got up here and have spent over 4 decades now suspicious of them and their motives. Most of what I already owned would have been just fine, but they fed my worries and dreams in such a way I turned loose of lots of things they wanted more than they wanted my happiness. There are a couple on the list I've never been able to replace, and I'm still pzzzed about it.

Getcher one gun to celebrate the move, but bring along everything else. Once you're up and settled you can make better choices about what you need. Dollars to donuts you already own most of them.

Thanks. That's good advice from all. Perhaps I was getting ahead of myself. BrownBear got me interested in the one gun theory with Brown Bess stories. I'm reluctant to use my smooth bore any more. I will wait to see what's needed for hare, birds and deer bu I still want to get another smooth bore. Also I did not remember that 10 ga is the largest allowed. Good catch!

I will wait to see what's needed for hare, birds and deer bu I still want to get another smooth bore.

There ya go. I hunt all of those with 20, 16, 12 and 10. Depends on my mood and interests of the moment. Yet here I sit pining away for a 28. Go figger. We're all gun nuts to one degree or another, so don't slam any doors. Of all mine, the 12 probably gets the most use because it's a double and I use it more for ducks than the others. The Bess is pure fun, but actually mine's the "carbine" version with a barrel somewhere around 32 or 36", but I don't remember which. I swapped for the day with a bud having a full length Bess, and was happy to get mine back after lunch. And he was happy to get his own back. Just goes to show....

There ya go. I hunt all of those with 20, 16, 12 and 10. Depends on my mood and interests of the moment. Yet here I sit pining away for a 28. Go figger. We're all gun nuts to one degree or another, so don't slam any doors. Of all mine, the 12 probably gets the most use because it's a double and I use it more for ducks than the others. The Bess is pure fun, but actually mine's the "carbine" version with a barrel somewhere around 32 or 36", but I don't remember which. I swapped for the day with a bud having a full length Bess, and was happy to get mine back after lunch. And he was happy to get his own back. Just goes to show....[/QUOTE

Wonder how a 12 would shoot slugs.

Don't hardly need slugs with the big 12 gauge round ball, around 550 grains as I recall. Lots of gee whiz.
Right. What I meant to say was round balls not slugs. I have not shot balls from a double shotgun and wondered if it would be good enough for deer at 50 yards or if it is too inaccurate. I have never shot one that did not make it to the freezer and canning jars eventually and I don't want to. I don't think I am good enough to hit hare in the head with a ball from a smooth bore consistently as that is mostly off hand. With deer I mostly try to use a rest of some kind even if it's a tree trunk or my knees.

I've been very happy with a Brown Bess carbine, and started on the one-gun plan, but after hunting with it for a couple of years, and having to pass on a nice bear, just out of smooth bore range, but easy rifle range, I got my rifle. (.62" Jeager) Even more happy now, Bessie still puts wild turkey and grouse on the table, and the Jeager has put plenty of venison on the table. Haven't got a bear in the sights though. !! So yeah, the "one-gun" can be done, but two will do it better, without neglecting either one. On the other hand, hard to beat a Brown Bess, they'll take a heavy load, and mine is accurate enough out to 60-65 yards, or minute of deer, which isn't too bad. Of course that darn bear was at about 80, and he kept moving away. Oh, and, the Bess is technically an 11guage I believe. ??

Can't speak for Alaska but I gave on full length muskets. Accurate but way toóo heavy to carry all day. Except my short Bess.
This is three shots, two together by the frizzen on the brick I was aiming at. 30yds.

12g double guns can work.
I use to use one as a combination gun.
I found which barrel shot ball well and loaded shot in the other!
Longest ball shot from that gun was a rabbit at 50yds!

This is great information. It really helps me to settle my thinking. I wanted to curb my desire to get several more guns so I was looking for a one gun cure. I already have my .50 so I think I'll add a shotgun first. I'm not sure about a double as I'll probably shoot myself reloading the spent barrel. The double would be fun though and the birds would be safe for a while until I get used to it. I'll watch the site and see what's available in the next few weeks. That way I'll have at least 2 functioning flintlock to take with me.

This is great information. It really helps me to settle my thinking. I wanted to curb my desire to get several more guns so I was looking for a one gun cure. I already have my .50 so I think I'll add a shotgun first. I'm not sure about a double as I'll probably shoot myself reloading the spent barrel. The double would be fun though and the birds would be safe for a while until I get used to it. I'll watch the site and see what's available in the next few weeks. That way I'll have at least 2 functioning flintlock to take with me.
You won't shoot yourself, if doubles did that they would of dropped them centuries ago!

How would a 20 ga work for general small game? I was only considering a 12 or even a 10 but the 20s seem much more available. I suppose in a pinch it could also be effective for a deer to say 30 yards or so. If that is acceptable power would I choose a double or a single smooth bore. The smooth bores have longer barrels mostly but I figure I can carry 7 or 8 pounds all day without tiring. I move slow. My dog takes naps while I catch up.

How would a 20 ga work for general small game? I was only considering a 12 or even a 10 but the 20s seem much more available. I suppose in a pinch it could also be effective for a deer to say 30 yards or so. If that is acceptable power would I choose a double or a single smooth bore. The smooth bores have longer barrels mostly but I figure I can carry 7 or 8 pounds all day without tiring. I move slow. My dog takes naps while I catch up.
How many photos do want ?

B.

A 20 guage shooting a round ball works very well for taking deer out to 40 or 50 yards. The range limit I mention is due to the accuracy of a smooth bore at distances further than that.
It will still have enough power to take a deer at ranges beyond that but IMO, the accuracy can't assure a good clean kill.
If you do decide to use it for deer hunting, look for a single barrel gun. Many States do no allow multiple barrels for muzzleloading hunting for deer and bears.

If you only want the gun for hunting small game and birds, a double barrel would be fine.

Personally, and this is just my way of thinking, for big game like the great bears, moose, caribou etc. all I'd consider is a rifle. For me, a rifle is the best tool for this job not a smoothbore. Since I started hunting with black powder my choice of calibers has been the .54 and it works great for whitetail deer and oversize hogs but it wouldn't be my first choice for large Alaskan game. I want a .58 or .62 for that job. I'd want a .50, a .54 and either a .58 or .62 for my rifle arsenal. I think with the varied sizes of Alaskan game that all those would get some use. You can tell I favor rifles.
Does one need a rifle to hunt big game? Of course not, many do very well with smoothbores as long as they only take shots within the proven range of their weapon.
I think a 20 ga. and a 12 ga. smoothbore would be my choice to complement my rifle battery. Hunting hares in the snow with a 20 ga. smoothbore sounds like a lot of fun, but for the serious stuff I want a rifle.

Here's an important insight about Alaska hunting realities. By actual count, I put in about 60 days of small game and bird hunting for each single day of big game hunting. The shot count runs something like 200 shots at birds and small game for each shot at large game.

If I was moving here these days rather than 40 years ago, I wouldn't sell a single gun before leaving. Get to know the place and decide later whether anything needs to go. If you find a hot deal on a 20, whether a single or double, grab it. You'll keep looking for one after you get up here and get acquainted, so a hot deal is a hot deal whether now or later. My tastes and certainly the Alaska hunting opportunities in general lean toward small game, so I'd lean toward a double. But I happen to like doubles a lot, and there's nothing wrong with a single.

Big game? Dance with the gun that brung you meat in the past until after you've been here a while. Maybe you'll spot a hot number after you arrive and maybe not.

Back