• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Indian made muskets

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! It is interesting to see all of the negetive reports. I have an Indian reproduction of a heavy dragoon pistol. Aside from its shiney finish, I have never had any problems wioth it. I've shot it hundreds of times. While not a target pistol, it does the job it was intended for. Somebody said support U.S. made products. Most of the reprodctions are made in Italy and Spain. Some of the Italian reproduction are a little too perfect. The Indian pieces appear to be hand made like the originals. Some of them were pretty shikney too when new. This I have observed from an original Ketland I have.

Not sure what shikney means, but it is pretty close to the unprintable word a few of us have been avoiding in describing these guns... :rotf:

Hello All

Yes,but even the supposedly better made Italian muskets I have bought need some fine tuning whether it being the lock,trigger pull or refinishing the poorly oiled/stained Euro stock.
That's what makes the hobby so damn fun! :rotf:

Rob

Hello All

Maybe we can get Obama to take over as head of the Italian gun makers and have the facilities moved over here to the U.S. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Or better yet have Fiat start making them! :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Rob :barf:

Hit wrong typwriter key. :youcrazy: The word was spposed to be shiney. Need new glasses. :redface:

surrealpillow said:
yes, safety is my main concern.
I'd rather not have a barrel burst in my face.
That´s an U.S. problem with a good prooflaw there will be no safety issue with the barrel.
You get what you paid for a handmade gun with no interchangeable parts and changing quality from ok to bad.

"I have a 1717 musket and a Murdoch pistol from middlesex,I have double charged (2 balls too,tied to a tree"

Don't try this at home, proofing barrels is best left to those with the equipment and experience to do so, you might very well damage what was a perfectly good barrel

I don't have any faith in the Indian barrels and the pics in the websites look like krap to me, I would not take one if it was given to me.If others feel they are worth what they give for them and feel comfitable with them that is their buisness, I do hate to see them do back yard proof test with no experience or instruments.

Yup. It's dangerous to them and anyone nearby if a failure occurs and would call attention to muzzleloading in a negative way. Just what we don't need in this age of anti-gun nut job politicians.

I have heard that lead will fix most everything.

tg said:
I don't have any faith in the Indian barrels and the pics in the websites look like krap to me, I would not take one if it was given to me.If others feel they are worth what they give for them and feel comfitable with them that is their buisness, I do hate to see them do back yard proof test with no experience or instruments.

Lets reverse this. Who's do you trust?
Foster From Flint

I did email gggodwin and they told me their matchlock is made in the US by a gunsmith they "have on hand" but they weren't able to send me any additional pictures of the gun. i plan on giving them a call, perhaps they could give me the contact info of the gunsmith. :hmm:
I figure the extra $400 is worth American workmanship

"Lets reverse this. Who's do you trust?"

I Like Getz and GM and have used a few Colranes
I would trust most American makers I am not fond of the tubing craze that has hit though that is more from looks than safety.What I like is only relevant to me, as is what someone else likes or doesn't is to them.

The American makers--although I would be leery of anyone using tubing--and Pedersoli. Pietta also has to pass the Italian proof tests. I also have no worries about the barrel on my English made Parker-Hale Enfield.

American made guns are not proofed!

Some are by a guy taking them out back and double loading them. But there are not proofed thru a proof house.

I agree that most are probably safe but the criticizim of Indian guns is usualy that they are not proofed but no one cares that American guns are not proofed.

"I agree that most are probably safe but the criticizim of Indian guns is usualy that they are not proofed but no one cares that American guns are not proofed."

That is the point I have faith in the enginering and metalurgy skills of the American makers, I do not share this feeling with the products from the middle east in what is likely a cottage industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back