• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ingredients required

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20230825_183740.jpg

Yup.

I can order the compounds from my recliner and make thousands of caps.

Finding the right rocks to make flints would probably take days and a couple fuel fill ups. Makes Track's cost for a couple dozen flints an obvious bargain!

Apples (flintlock) to oranges (percussion). 😀
You could also order flints at the same time you order your percussion cap components. If you get an average of 50 shots out of a flint, 20 flints will get you 1000 shots. But there is nothing inherently wrong with using a cap or flint…..

I can order the compounds from my recliner and make thousands of caps.

Finding the right rocks to make flints would probably take days and a couple fuel fill ups. Makes Track's cost for a couple dozen flints an obvious bargain!

Apples (flintlock) to oranges (percussion). 😀

Oh my! Here in East Tennessee, we only have to walk out to the back yard to find suitable rocks for flints. Folks have found a lot of arrowheads in this area for many years.

Not much flint here in Central NY. I did read where there was a vein of a low quality flint no too far from here, but I havent had a chance look for it. I was once assisting on a trail where it was known Indians summered, and in one spot open to the summer breeze they always looked for flints/ shards after a hard rain. I was delighted to find a few that day, but that flint must have been traded for ...it appeared to me to be a very high grade grey, almost translucent stone.

I'm lucky, can just go out in the yard and kick up a few rocks good enough to knap a gunflint from any time. There's much better stuff in any creek or riverbed within just a few miles of my house, and even better stuff on some private property I have access to where there's an exposed vein of really high quality chert that has been mined since people walked upright.

No flint where I live or where I hunt. I know there is some in the south east of the state, though. Where I hunt is glaciated and granite only.

Oh my! Here in East Tennessee, we only have to walk out to the back yard to find suitable rocks for flints. Folks have found a lot of arrowheads in this area for many years.

I'm sure there are many places to find it here in Colorado but I'm not going looking. When I hunted hogs in Texas the ground was littered with nodules.

Not much flint here in Central NY. I did read where there was a vein of a low quality flint no too far from here, but I havent had a chance look for it. I was once assisting on a trail where it was known Indians summered, and in one spot open to the summer breeze they always looked for flints/ shards after a hard rain. I was delighted to find a few that day, but that flint must have been traded for ...it appeared to me to be a very high grade grey, almost translucent stone.
Mohawk River valley dude. The Kanien’kehá:ka literally called themselves The People of Flint. Pretty balla, kind of like calling themselves the people of wealth. Most valuable trade commodity pre-contact. Flint from the Mohawk River has been found from Ecuador to Alaska.

Mohawk River valley dude. The Kanien’kehá:ka literally called themselves The People of Flint. Pretty balla, kind of like calling themselves the people of wealth. Most valuable trade commodity pre-contact. Flint from the Mohawk River has been found from Ecuador to Alaska.
Huh. Interesting. I hadnt heard that before, surprisingly. Gotta look it up.

The problem with Flint in CNY is that you have to go pretty deep to find stuff that is not full of fractures from freezing and thawing out for a million years.

I could probably find flints but I don’t know how to fit them on the nipples of my 1858 Remington. Any ideas?
I think we are out of luck for flints in Florida. At least in central Fl. Nothing but sand around me although some arrowheads have been found around my lake. Guessing they were brought in by traveling tribes.

I think we are out of luck for flints in Florida. At least in central Fl. Nothing but sand around me although some arrowheads have been found around my lake. Guessing they were brought in by traveling tribes.
I have a few pieces of chert I found in Ocala National forest. The had been worked. How they got there I am not sure but it looks alot like Georgia Coastal.

I looked up flint mining in NY....and was amazed at finding out a several thou8sand year old flint quarry existed towards the Hudson. The area is now owned by an Archeology association, but is publicly accessable. I am very much looking forward to checking it out in the not too distand future. I have to do more research as far as its exact location, access, etc. Luckily it was recently protected....there were initial plans to place a solar farm on top of it!!!!!!!

I looked up flint mining in NY....and was amazed at finding out a several thou8sand year old flint quarry existed towards the Hudson. The area is now owned by an Archeology association, but is publicly accessable. I am very much looking forward to checking it out in the not too distand future. I have to do more research as far as its exact location, access, etc. Luckily it was recently protected....there were initial plans to place a solar farm on top of it!!!!!!!
I never knew about that

These are CNY arrowheads made of the gray material.the two pieces of jug handle I found while planting in an old pasture field in Butts Corner NY

Attachments

• 20231213_083100_001.jpg
    20231213_083100_001.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231213_083117.jpg
    20231213_083117.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231213_083129.jpg
    20231213_083129.jpg
    749.7 KB · Views: 0
Back