• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ingredients required

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I completely understand why folks want to make their own percussion caps. Yep, I get that. However, the procedure for making flints only requires one ingredient.

😀 Just saying.
It requires two ingredients. The flint and the ability to knapp it. The latter is the hardest one of the two until you learn how. LOL!

I looked up flint mining in NY....and was amazed at finding out a several thou8sand year old flint quarry existed towards the Hudson. The area is now owned by an Archeology association, but is publicly accessable. I am very much looking forward to checking it out in the not too distand future. I have to do more research as far as its exact location, access, etc. Luckily it was recently protected....there were initial plans to place a solar farm on top of it!!!!!!!
Solar farms and windmills...."protecting" us from "global warming" and ruining wildlife habitat and our environment here on earth! Sorry for off topic. Just a sore spot with me.

I hunted arrow heads for a long time, I had a habit of picking up any broken piece I found in a field so I wouldn't zero in on it in the future. I have a large 2-gallon Christmas cookie tin that is chock full of broken arrowhead pieces. Some of the pieces are center sections that are almost exactly the size of a good gun flint. I tried some of them out and found that like any chert or flint some spark like crazy and others are poor sparkers.

I seem to be a gun flint pack rat and have bought enough to last me a lifetime over the years, a few here a few there, they add up over time. A dying friend gave me all of his as well, hundreds of smaller flints for his Roller lock.

With my gun flint collection and a gazillion broken arrow heads I am in good shape.

The last time I posted using broken arrowheads as gun flints several guys chimed in adamantly on how I was destroying history. Let's see, broken pieces picked up 50 years ago out of bean fields and tributaries somewhere along the TN river in N/E Alabama whose origin has been long lost to time. I don't think any archeologists are going to be lining up at my door to study this stuff.

Along with broken stuff I had a large collection of really good stuff. A few years ago, I gave it all to my Granddaughter who has been interested in archelogy from an early age. She is a sophomore at UT in Austin and her summer job this year is working on her first archeological dig in South Americal.

These are CNY arrowheads made of the gray material.the two pieces of jug handle I found while planting in an old pasture field in Butts Corner NY
The grey material is Onondaga chert. Most of the points in NYS are made from it. I have searched the local limestone quarries and all the chert has glacial fracture. The only place I know of to get knappable Onondaga is Port Colborne on the north shore of lake Erie.

No flints around here. Best case scenario is a rare find of a chunk of obsidian stout enough to make-do. Plus, it requires skill to make the flints and I still lack the skill to shoot a flintlock without flinching anyway.

Beer cans for making caps are much easier to find. The best part is that when you get them from the store, they're full of beer!

Oh my! Here in East Tennessee, we only have to walk out to the back yard to find suitable rocks for flints. Folks have found a lot of arrowheads in this area for many years.
What does it look like? I'm right across the line in NC on the Toe River (they call it the Nolichucky once it crosses into TN). It's full of rocks that look like they'd work but I have no idea which ones would be the good ones. They range from light grey flint lookalikes to glassy agates.

I completely understand why folks want to make their own percussion caps. Yep, I get that. However, the procedure for making flints only requires one ingredient.

😀 Just saying.

AH but you do need some tools that one can't pick up at the corner store....,

Knapping tools.JPG

LD

What does it look like? I'm right across the line in NC on the Toe River (they call it the Nolichucky once it crosses into TN). It's full of rocks that look like they'd work but I have no idea which ones would be the good ones. They range from light grey flint lookalikes to glassy agates.
I am definitely no expert on this subject, but by trial and error have learned a little about flint making. Thankfully it’s not that hard or I couldn’t do it.😄

The rock here in Powell valley is mostly limestone. The rocks I use for flints are light gray, dark gray or black. This is chert/flint? I search hillsides for outcroppings of limestone where flint is plentiful and easy to find on the face of the rock.

I am definitely no expert on this subject, but by trial and error have learned a little about flint making. Thankfully it’s not that hard or I couldn’t do it.😄

The rock here in Powell valley is mostly limestone. The rocks I use for flints are light gray, dark gray or black. This is chert/flint? I search hillsides for outcroppings of limestone where flint is plentiful and easy to find on the face of the rock.
Thanks, I'll pick up a few test pieces and see if I can do anything with them. I think I know the light grey stuff you're talking about.

Some real accomplished knappers I know preferred to get their nodules from under water. One in particular was always wading creek beds when he was passing thru Tennessee

Yep, creeks are a good place to look too. My methods are very simple. I just search for rocks that look like they have some flint in them. Then I take a hammer stone and go to knocking off flakes. Very unscientific but very satisfying!

I grew up on the Nolichucky, living in Unicoi county. Have family from your neck of the woods as well.

Anthony

We have a massive amount of obsidian here in Nevada. It is too “glass like“ for flints however. There are a massive amount of arrowheads and blades made of it to be found however. We do have chert and what we call “jasper” out here. I guess I better get busy and learn how to make flints.

Attachments

• IMG_0037.JPG
    IMG_0037.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
We have a massive amount of obsidian here in Nevada. It is too “glass like“ for flints however. There are a massive amount of arrowheads and blades made of it to be found however. We do have chert and what we call “jasper” out here. I guess I better get busy and learn how to make flints.
I had several large chunks of obsidian but it was kind brittle and tended to chip. I ve heard that it can be heat treated but got no idea how.

I picked them up in a stream that runs through an unnamed city here in Colorado.

I had several large chunks of obsidian but it was kind brittle and tended to chip. I ve heard that it can be heat treated but got no idea how.

I picked them up in a stream that runs through an unnamed city here in Colorado.
You all have cities that are unnamed? That’s kinda different.

Back