• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms Hawken Shredding Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He stated without knowing what the thread size of the breech plug there is a possibility he might not have the proper tooling since it will be metric for sure. :cursing:

Metric threads
left handed breech plugs
round barrels
traditions conicals
mothers
JB bore paste
3F goex
pictures that won't post
T/C patches
Joannes Pillow ticking
54 caliber barrels from track.

:shocked2: :doh: :shake:
You're all over the board.....

Just keeping options open, I will take it one change at the time tho. I honestly never have issues posin photos to any forums. I can not figure out how to do it here for some reason.

For next range sessio it is black powder, ticking and .490 balls.

Rest of the stuff was bought at only local gun store that had black powder. Had to justify driving for an hour :grin:

"JoAnn's Pillow Ticking"

Jo Ann Fabrics sells pillow ticking in several different thicknesses. I just purchased 2 yd. of ticking from Jo Ann's which measured .018" (compressed). The other bolts measured only .014". Btw, don't overlook 100% cotton duck cloth and/or denim. The latter comes in several weights/thicknesses and is priced accordingly. Pocket Drill/Utility Fabric has been recommended as well, but I find it too thin for my guns' tastes.

Thank you for the the advice for ticking and other patching. Looking foward to rane time tomorrow.

I have pinned my wood rod like I should have years ago. I cut two pins from my braising rod and peened them ever so slightly, sanded and polished. You cannot see them at all. Now I have a functioning rod intead of an ornament. What should I replace bore butter with? In the comment on the first page you stated do away with rod and butter. I saw rhe recipe posted in the forum is this what alot guys shoot with?

You might try getting some drill cloth or sometimes called pocket drill. Allot of cloth places aren't too familiar with it but it is extra strong and used for making pockets in pants, that's why it is stronger. I have never used it but it comes highly recommended by many people. An over powder wad or another patch for a over powder wad has also been know to work because it holds back some of the pressure. Another easy thing to try.

You can try plain old Crisco for a patch lube. While not the best it does work and is a common item for people to have. I would say to try spit patch, it works very well also but it isn't good for a hunting environment since it will dry out.

I have a 36 that was shredding patches. It isn't any more and wasn't as bad as yours but still isn't quite where I want it accuracy wise.

Spit works great for range and plinking and hunting like squirrels where you don't have to wait all day to get a shot....

The reason I advised ditching the bore butter is because it's expensive, messy and doesn't do anything to protect or season (as it claims) IMO.
There are better lubes that you can easily and cheaply make yourself....

A simple mixture of beeswax and olive oil works great.....many people use a beeswax concoction of some kind.....many people use plain olive oil. There are a gazillion recipes for lube on this site, most people prefer something other than bore butter but it does have a few devout followers.......you will never know how good another lube can be until you try one.....Regardless of what lube you use....use it sparingly, most people over lube which leads to increased fouling.

It is good that you pinned your ramrod.....It is most likely that your fiberglass rod is not pinned but merely glued on....that glue will in time fail...mine did!

I don't think you need an over powder wad......as they are more for patch burn out.....what you have is shredding from a rough bore.

Frankly, I think there is way too many solutions to your problem being voiced and too much speculation......what you need to do is get to the range and start eliminating some of the variables......

Last edited by a moderator:
The first cold shot was a previously loaded (we went hunting this morning😀 ) 80 grains of Pyrodex, hornady .490 ball over JoAnn's ticking cut at the muzzle and sparingly lubed with T/C bore butter. Target was set at measured 50 yards. All shots were taken from the bench using my shooting bag stuffed with a hunting pillow for a rest.

This first hit is marked with word "Pyro"

Next 3 shots were loaded over 50 grains of Goex FFFG. The best I have ever shot this rifle, period.

Next I loaded 55 grains of FFFG and without thinking took a shot at the 50 grain group. I then relized It will be to crowded and re marked my target with one inch squares and used those for further testing. So that shot circled with black just under 50 grain group is accidental.

I then re loaded and shot 3 times with 55 grain load and the group is circled and marked with number 55

Same was done with 60 grain load and the same is marked with number 60.

I used 209 primers for ignition and in between every shot I scrubbed with a wet patch followed by 3 dry patches. Loading was significantly easier than pre steel wool and mothers treatment. Starting the ball at the muzzle was a lot easier than ever. It is interesting to note that even the very first Pyrodex propelled patch came out in one piece. I was able to recover a few patches and the shape of the patches is an improvement.
http://s1119.photobucket.com/user/Muamero/media/image_zpsscszjd1s.jpeg.html

The more I clean the bore betwen the shots the better it shot so I paid attention and made sure the bore was clean before each shot.

At this time i moved the target to 75yards and the group opened up to 6 inches. Some of this I beleive is due to bore getting dirtier even tho I cleaned between all the shots and my concetration was off since there were bunch of guys shooting at a steel target at a high rate of fire.

After the range I cleaned up and loaded up with 60 grains of FFFG and headed back to the woods.

A doe presented herself broadside at about 50-55 yards and I hit her with a perfect double lung hit shooting off hands. The ball passed clean through her and struck a tree trunk and we were not able to recover it. 😃

The doe expired 20 yards from were she was shot. All this with only 60 grains of FFFG.

Yes I know, there is still room for improvement. Next range session I intend to arrive with squeeky clean barrel and shoot at 75 yards fresh and rested.

I want to than all of you that contributed to the conversation and helped me to get my rifle to shoot better than eveR.

Any and all suggestions and comments welcome. Thank you all again. :grin: :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, your making good progress...
I think if you can get the patches to stop tearing your groups will tighten up nicely....
For some strange reason one side of your patches are tearing....Is your crown sharp on one side?

Pinpoint accuracy is not needed for deer hunting...but keep shooting, practicing and cleaning....and I think you'll be fine.

Did you wash your pillow ticking ??....

Clyde, I beleive there is an imperfection in the bore at the breech end. My cleaning patches use to get cut before the improvised lapping but I dont think the imperfection is completly gone yet. It is shooting good enough for hunting up to 75 yards now.

I am still itching for that custom Rice 54 cal barrel. 😀

Wash it, hot water machine dry..
If you can feel a spot in the barrel.....keep working on that spot....it should smooth out...
I had a rough spot on mine and I just kept working it.....Used some lapping compound.

A little time and elbow grease is cheaper than buying a new barrel....

Thanks for all sound advice, JB paste should be here Monday. Do you think I should try FFG grade BP or just stock up on FFFG and call it a day as far as powder choice goes

Also I forgot to mention the barrel washes a lot quicker and cleans up to the point were patches are coming out white now. Another new to me

muamero said:
Thanks for all sound advice, JB paste should be here Monday. Do you think I should try FFG grade BP or just stock up on FFFG and call it a day as far as powder choice goes
For now...I would stick with what you got...Work on getting those patches to stop tearing....
Once you get some kind of consistent accuracy....then go ahead and try 2ff if you want.
Considering that you are using 209 primers 2f might perform better....
But don't put the cart in front of the horse... :grin:

Back