• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Investarms Hawken Shredding Patches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
muamero said:
No I have not washed the ticking 😅

Now we're getting somewhere.

The "sizing" on the fabric makes it stiffer and can easily lead to shredding when you seat, in my experience. It also keeps your lube from interacting correctly with the fabric.

Dollars to donuts your headaches will be solved with a trip through the washer and dryer. Don't make my first rookie mistake with ticking by cutting it up before washing. What a mess. :redface:

Wash and dry the whole sheet.

Todays range report.

Anfter morning hunting session we headed to the range. My rifle was loaded with 60 grains of FFFG from the mornings outing. Today I attempted to concetrate on better shooting and patch recovery in chronological order.

First group was shot off the bench and my shooting bag as a rest. I aimed at with six oclock hold and produced a 5 1/2 inch group wich consits of one hit in the blac rectangle border one in the white and one hit in the cardboard. After the first shot I cleaned the barrel and completed 20-30 pases with JB lapping paste. Target was set at 75 yards. Patches were then recovered and I placed them in the top row in the order they came out. Same cleaning procedure for cleaning was used as before.

The second group was fired off my brothers bench rest and was considerably smaller. It measures 3 1/2 inches across. I then colected the patches and they were recovered ( what I did find anyway) and placed in the bottom row in the order of firing.

If it is not evident the two smaller holes at the six oclock orange are from rifle and shout be disregarded.

Any help is appreciated

It looks like you are cutting you patching into strips and then cutting at the muzzle...
Try making your strips a little wider so that when you cut at the muzzle you are left with a complete circle cutout......also cut your strips with the stripes and not across them....I actually use a stipe as a cutting guide....Make sure your knife is sharp when cutting at the muzzle. Pulling or tearing while the ball is in the barrel is bad for the patch.

Try the JB again and compare to your previous bore pictures....

Got it! I did cut them about 1 1/2 inches across. So the cut at the muzzle must be lazer like for best preformance? As a guy that shaves with a straight razor sharp things are not ailen to me. I am drying the ticking as I type. I also found some beeswax to use for making the lube. I am going to run out of T/C finally at the next range session.

The bore is not looking any smoother but it is looking considerably brighter with each application of JB paste.

Thank you for you continued support!

MO

I was just thinking about that. I am pretty excited and thankfull that it is working out. I love this rifle, even more now

Its amazing how much more confidence you gain in your gun when you get it figured out. Congratulations on your kill too by the way. I was at deer camp all weekend here and had some great success also. Smoked a big ol doe with my flintlock at 50yds. Found out that when you shoot a flintlock at almost dark you really see what kind of flame your flash pan makes!! :shocked2:

It sounds like your on your way to figuring this rifle out. I shoot ffg in anything larger than .50 and fffg in .50 and smaller. That's just my thing that works for me everyone is different obviously. I would give it a whirl just to see if it makes a difference...

Just popped on after being away for a while, and I see it's been about a month since your last post. If you're still having issues, I'd suggest patching and loading a ball, then pulling it without shooting. Take a close look at the patch for any signs of cutting. That should give you an idea whether it's a barrel/rifling issue.

I use a nylon stocking to wash my cleaning patches in the machine. I wash the whole sheet of pillow ticking then cut for shooting patches. The nylon stocking works great.

Lately I have been buying EMSS dry pre-cut shooting patches and I really like them. They seem to be a good bit tighter weave than the pillow ticking too.

Wanted to thank everyone again, I have been hunting with my Investarms Hawken and so far gotten 4 deer with it and got my brother to leave his centerfire rifle behind on a few hunts. He bagged a doe as well. Now wanting to join a blackpowder league I decided to splurge and have Hoyt make me a dedicated PRB barrel. It will be a couple of months or so before I get it back, hence enter the medicine.

Saved from a local gun shelter, TC Hawken 45 Cal. (obviously not a lefty) While waiting for Bob Hoyt to finish 54 Cal 1:60 barrel for my Investarms Hawken picked up this abused thing to play with. Did the 0000 steel wool treatment as the barrel had some pitting towards the breach. I followed with lapping with JB paste. Looks pretty good now. I also got Duches Shooting System and have been regurgitating the information.

Hey apparently I can post photos as well!!!

qH7NQb1.jpg

FzkDsZ3.jpg

7vMTLJs.jpg

9NZWWj9.jpg

The pitting at the breech can grab patches and adversely affect accuracy. Watch for shredded patches when you start shooting it. The breech area may need more work. Maybe another barrel to be sent to Bob Hoyt.

I would start with a thick patch (0.022") and a 0.440" diameter ball.

I have to grab a Micrometer so I can better gauge the patching thickness. The price was right, I really like the wood on the stock and the trigger is leaps and bounds better than my Investarm. There is no "warning" or the "Hawken" stamped on the barrel. There is a little diamond stamped in the bottom of the barrel. Wonder how old it is? Yes, this Hoyt stuff (new barrels and re boring) is turning out to be a vicious circle :grin: :thumbsup:

Back