• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Is It Safe To Rest The Hammer On The Cap?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, back to my one previous post. I was there when 3 different T/C's broke their sears and the guns discharged. This happened to take place over about 3 weekends. We used to get together on Sunday afternoons and shoot all afternoon. The guns were bought about 1978 for Christmas and it was mid summer when it happened. The hammers are too high at 1/2 cock to make it safe. When the sear breaks, it WILL fire.So always carry the gun with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction! NO ONE can tell me that running around 1/2 cocked is safe. We were all lucky that there was no one hurt or worse. Been there, done that, seen that. When I fit new hammers to my guns I place the hammers about 1/8" off of the nipple. There is not enough force to fire the gun that way if the sear should fail.But, when 1/2 cock is exactly that, it is an accident looking for a place to happen.

With the introduction of percussion ignition systems, I find it hard to believe that many folks didn't carry it that way!

And how many of them are still around... hmmm? :blah:

I won't even carry my rifles around the woods capped, much less capped with the hammer down. That is just asking for trouble for yourself or anyone with you. If someone is shooting at you, then fine, its a risk benefit analysis I suppose. Elk can't shoot back, their ramrods keep getting tangled up in their tines ::

With the introduction of percussion ignition systems, I find it hard to believe that many folks didn't carry it that way!

And how many of them are still around... hmmm? :blah:

I won't even carry my rifles around the woods capped, much less capped with the hammer down. That is just asking for trouble for yourself or anyone with you. If someone is shooting at you, then fine, its a risk benefit analysis I suppose. Elk can't shoot back, their ramrods keep getting tangled up in their tines ::
I don't carry a capped rifle when I'm hunting either . The only time my rifle is capped is when I am sitting in ambush . Carry a capped rifle with the hammer resting on the cap ? You've got to be joking !

What is the meaning of my handle? These things happen, it is up to us to prevent them from doing so. :nono:

Regarding the Civil War questions, I would venture to say that the vast majority of the time their weapons were not loaded unless they were in imminent proximity to engaging an enemy or on a skirmishing, reconnoitering or sentry detail.

The military frequently carries arms without a round under the hammer. I flew into I (believe it was) DFW Airport shortly after the terrorist attacks and observed that the National Guard members standing guard post at the airport had their M16A2 slung at hand, but with no magazines in the weapons, only stored in their LBE.

You can load all the chambers on a cap and ball revolver and carry safely by letting the hammer rest between two cylinders.

You can do this with a Ruger Old Army - it is specificially designed that way. However, none of my replicas (all Colts) are capable of putting the hammer in contact with the cylinder between chambers. All my Colts are in my opinion "5 shooters". I never load all six out of habit, even on the range, leaving the hammer on a empty chamber at all times. :blue:

Many interesting replies to this thread - Most say "ABSOLUTELY NOT!" Some say, "Maybe, under the right conditions and if certain safeties are followed." A few who say, "Ok, yep!"

While I'm inclined to agree with those who say "NO WAY!" it just seems to prove the old saying that there are 3 types of people in the world: Those who can count and who can't...

...The Kansan...

I think some old timers did carry them with hammer down on a cap, but it is not safe and probably more than a few found that out. I remember reading about one of the Mountain Men who shot himself that way--he pulled his rifle towards him muzzle first and the hammer caught on something and fired! I can't remember the exact reference...

Not if you hunt with me and plan to get a ride home afterwards. I'll dump your hiney on the spot. No negotiations, no discussion, no second chances.

The Colts have--or should have--pins between the chambers and a notch in the hammer face that lock the cylinder when you put the hammer down on the pin. This is pretty effective as a safety and that is the purpose that Colt intended. I still prefer to carry with the hammer down on an empty chamber, but perhaps I'm just extra cautious.

I have a very good friend with a 54 cal hole in the door of his almost new pu when he did that.Boy did he have fun explaining that one to the body shop.Its an unsafe practice.

This is not (as in UN)safe in a sidelock or underhammer type muzzleloader. There are muzzleloaders available that have a hammer block safety, but those are not of the sidelock variety.

There are cap covers available that cover the capped nipple that you can rest the hammer on.

Otherwise, you are begging for an unplanned discharge which could get you or someone else hurt or worse.

Not to mention falls far short from the common sense and proper/safe handling and shooting tree's.
:nono:

I have tested this, and the cap requires a very hard strike to light off!

Hard, as in the gun falling over from where it is placed, your tomahawk (or knife, canteen, etc.) falling out of your belt or slipping forward when you're ducking under a branch, dropping the gun, the gun catching on your jacket and the hammer falling forward as it pulls free (my Grandpa shot my Dad, who was holding a lantern in a chicken coup, using this method when the fox bolted), your thumb being wet or slippery and bobbling the hammer while trying to pull it to cock or half-cock, etc, etc.

Never, never lay the hammer on the primer. That is how they go off, you know. Hammer + Primer = Bang. You've defeated every hope of safety. You have completed the sequence for firing the gun, you just don't have control over when it will actually go off.

Refer to Ghost's first response. :eek:

My son was putting a holstered 45 Auto into a pistol pouch for storage. It was loaded and on half-cock (don't ask).
Bottom line: it fired, and he took a hollow-point thru the palm of his left hand. Three surgeries later, he had three repaired tendons and part of his hip-bone and a plastic knuckle joint connecting things back up in his hand, along with the realization that he had been inches away from the bullet going into his thigh.
Carry safely. Keep something, be it store-bought or homemade, between the hammer and cap. NEVER trust a safety, or how much pressure it may take to fire a cap or primer. It's just not worth it.
Packer

Packer, you are right. The more I think about this thread, the more I think an important part is missed. Gun safety, as in controlling where your muzzle is pointed. Do you run around in the hunting field with a modern gun and no round in the chamber? If you do, you are ok, if you practice safe gun handling. If you don't practice good gun handling, loaded or not loaded, you are an accident looking for a place to happen. Ever close a break open gun and have it fire when it was closed on live rounds? (I have) Bad news if you don't have the muzzels in a safe direction. The old Remington 720/721/722 series had a reputation for firing when you let the safety off. Bad news if the muzzles weren't in the right direction. Back to basics, watch where your muzzle is pointed.

I think the T/C safety instructions in the T/C book "Shooting Black Powder Muzzleloading Firearms" sums it up: "Never prime your muzzleloading gun until you are ready to fire it. Warning; Failure to follow this rule can result in an accidental discharge which may cause serious injury and or death to the shooter or bystander and damage to property."

Since the term PERCUSSION means "something that is struck", and we don't know how hard that impact is for each individual cap... there is NO way to know what amount (especially how little) of force it takes to cause that "accidental discharge".

Kind of an oxymoron isn't it? I mean, it IS a CAPPED and LOADED gun! Why should we call it an "accident"? More like stupidity on someone's part... not picking on anyone either, we've all done dumb things in our lives... let's just make sure that we don't hurt ourselves or someone else with foolish actions.

Kind of difficult to call a shot/bullet back isn't it?

Shoot Safely!
WV_Hillbilly

I have an old remington lock, built with no half cock. Whad did they do back then? :shocking:

I have tested this, and the cap requires a very hard strike to light off!
I think it would take a very hard strike to light off the cap. In regards to hunting this could be a nich!
I wonder if stats exist, of required striking power to ignite the cap?

For what it's worth, I'm making a general comment not aimed at any specific individual...and that is I think we need to be careful that we don't come across as "piling on" to old High Power here...

He asked a simple question, and IMO it's really caused all of us to refocus on the basics, which is a good thing...never hurts to do that from time to time...but I hope we don't run the poor man off with too many sharp replies
:imo: :m2c:

Back