• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Iv'e got a wedge pin prob. Need Help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would bet money that if you took a poll on here of people's satisfaction with their Lyman product, it would be overwhelmingly in favor of being satisfied.

Just got my Great Plains from UPS on Thursday and also ran into a fit problem. There are two wedges on the GP and the rear wedge will not go in. Hand pressure on the barrel/stock is not enough. I tried inserting the front wedge first, hoping that might coax the barrel to seat down far enough to make room for the rear wedge, but no go. The wedges are not bent, the escutcheons are not the problem and the grooves on the barrel through which the wedges are to slide are both in good shape. Obviously the stock must be shaved down a bit, I'm figuring from about the tang to around 6" or so forward. I can see the groove on the barrel sticking up when I look through the rear escutcheon to the other side, making it impossible for the wedge to fit through. Think I'll do a bit of filing on the end of the wedge first, then have a go at the stock. Other than this, the rifle is in perfect shape and fits the bill for what I wanted--a relatively inexpensive 50 cal black powder rifle made for round ball shooting.

I really think you would be better off taking the wedge in and out and see if it doesn't loosen up on it's own before taking a file to it. I know from experience it is really easy to end up with a wedge thats back out while shooting and continues to wear until it falls out of the gun while hunting never to be seen again.

I recieved my gpr thursday and had the same problem.My wedges would go through to the plate on the other side but would not go all the way. I tried every way possible.After reading this i think i will try to put a slight bend in them and they should go or i hope they will.I hate to send it back and it sounds like a common problem.

Check the keys and the escutcheons for burrs. Put some kind of marking dye on the keys and then see where they are rubbing. Often, a few strokes with a Jeweler's file( you can buy a cheap set at Harbor Freight) is all that is needed to get these keys to go into the escutcheons correctly. Make the keys work smoothly before you try them through the barrel hanger. That way , you will know if the hangers also need a little " Polishing".

Some keys are made to be too wide, and therefore have no "play" front and back to allow for expansion and contraction of the wood stock as humidity changes. You don't want loose sizing of the escutcheons, but you do want some "slop" or "play" in those barrel hanger slots. The Play should be front and back, parallel to the barrel, not play up and down. Keys with too large slots, from barrel to bottom can be tightened by hammering on the bottom of the key to close the "loop", or "slot" somewhat.

If you find a hanger is so tall that its pushing against your ramrod in its channel, File a bit of material off it so that your ramrod is Not affected. You will be surprised how much that affects the accuracy of your gun.

Back