• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jim Shockey’s Gold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was reading on another forum where they were having trouble with there sub. powder going south after opening a can.
Their solution was to put a piese of plastic wrap over the container mouth before replaceing the cap. I'd think that silacon thread tape may work better, Ya woulden't have to worry about wrinkles letting air and moisture by it.
I had a # of triple 7 FFG given to me a couple of years ago. Seems to work just fine in my T/C side locks. Mighty spendy stuff though, I woulden't recomend it for folks with as thin of wallets as mine!
There's only one store that sells B.P. in my town, and he takes full advantage of that fact, $16.95 a #. Powder Inc. & The Main Powder House will sell ya 25-50# of powder at a time, No Hazmat Fee. I'm going to order some maybe next month. Oh and that's Goex B.P. Powder Inc. was $11.00 a pound.........Ol Thing...............

Bill K said:
:confused:
Hi,

When I recently bought a used T/C PA Hunter (.50 cal., 31” barrel) the vender sweetened the deal by giving me a jar of FFG Jim Shockey’s Gold . Have any of you guys used this American Pioneer powder in your rifles? What do you think of it compared to other powders? Any special considerations or instructions concerning its use?

Thanks ”¦

Hey Bill I would like to personally applogize for the juvinal tirade re: powder subs; If you are having fun with your gun and its working for you, God bless and carry on. Some get quite excited about being a purist. Remember if the gun that they shoot was built after ohhhh say 1900 then they are using a sub and are realy only a wanna-be which is FINE if they are having fun and its working for them.
Admitantly ALL guns are fun to shoot but this form does focus on sidelocks and ALL THE MENY DIFFERANT COMBOS that can be put through them. Personally I like pyrodex RS and a conical because pyrodex is cheaper in Oregon, and RB's are...well....just round! :rotf:

For several years I was a range master at a local gun store range. which was open to all types of guns. Before Muzzloading season folks would come in and sight in their ML rifles. i saw the use of many different kinds of propellants including the Shockey's gold. I saw results from very good (1.5' @100 yds Bench) to very erratic. Some of this was to be sure shooter error, but other variations vere due to combinations of other stuff. To wit; most insisted on using the maximum propellant load. inconsistant cleaning between shots. and various other stuff you all know too well. The better results seemed to do be from powdered propellants Vs the brickettets.Although not always. I did not remember ever seeing 'the gold" impress me too much.Probably not too much help.

Over the years I have seen much of the same at the public ranges. Those of us here have to stop for a minute and think about how little we knew when we first started with ML's. So I most often tend to stop what I'm doing and help these fellows figure out how to make their rifles work. Often it's just getting them to change to better bullets and cleaning between shots. Once things begin to work for them, they often start to ask about the old fashion cap lock I have. Many get excited when they see how well the traditional rifles shoot. Everyone has to start somewhere. Those who just feel they have to fight with someone should pick on a tree hugger, or anti gun group. So here's to hoping everyone will stop coming down so hard on those who use sub's.

:haha: :) :wink:

Rat Trapper said:
Over the years I have seen much of the same at the public ranges. Those of us here have to stop for a minute and think about how little we knew when we first started with ML's. So I most often tend to stop what I'm doing and help these fellows figure out how to make their rifles work. Often it's just getting them to change to better bullets and cleaning between shots. Once things begin to work for them, they often start to ask about the old fashion cap lock I have. Many get excited when they see how well the traditional rifles shoot. Everyone has to start somewhere. Those who just feel they have to fight with someone should pick on a tree hugger, or anti gun group. So here's to hoping everyone will stop coming down so hard on those who use sub's.

:haha: :) :wink:

BRAVO and well said!!! :bow:

Don't remember fightin with anyone about what they were usin in their gun. Some of the fellers got good results from "substitute" propellants. always tried to help new shooters. Some shooters don't want advise, so just left them alone. Still don't rember seeing any out standing results from shockeys gold.

I have never tried the powder in question. All reports put it at the weakest of the subs as far as power goes. It is also known to go bad after a short time once opened.
As far as shooting subs goes, I shoot Pyrodex RS most of the time in all my guns. I do this by choice because I can still get black by driving about an hour one way.
In my case, the first salesman sold me Pyrodex long ago. I have used it for 30 years. Most of what I know of experienced loads are Pyrodex loads. Most of my cleaning, loading, and loads are tailored to use Pyrodex. Pyrodex hits higher out of smoothbores correcting the point of aim on many. Pyrodex can be used in a smoothbore without lube if you choose. Best of all, my current supply cost me 5$ a pound five minutes from my home. Those that don't like it are welcome to not borrow powder and to clean their own guns.

Back