• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Jonathan Browning Conversion

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topbike

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Browning Mt. Rifle stock, no barrel, no lock. Would it be possible to convert it to a custom barrel flintlock? The stock is inlet for a cap lock as it is. Would it be difficult to fit a flint lock even though it is already inlet? I would keep the 1" barrel channel and would like to use a 34"X1" rice barrel.

Track of the Wolf and others sell a gun builders lock that comes with a oversized rectangle lock plate that can be sized to your lock mortise. I don't see why that wouldn't work in your case.

I just converted from percussion to flint using a builder's lock. The key measurement is the sear to the pan and how, in general, that fits your current inlet. Since you do not have a barrel you are trying to match to, you have a little more flexibility but still have to be able to have that pan center match up to how you want to have your touch hole in the barrel...meaning patent breech drilled into the plug, or right ahead of the plug with no patent breech, etc.

The Chamber's builders lock is about 3 1/4" from sear to pan center bottom. The below link of a Flickr Album I have started showing my rebuild of a Pedersoli Frontier of which a conversion using this lock has been done. The whole project isn't done, but the lock portion is complete. These photos might give you an idea of what's involved. Double click any photo and on most I've notated what I'm doing and any comments I felt might help others.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100435142@N08/sets/72157650877821348/

Last edited by a moderator:
Those were nice rifles for a production gun, but there are a lot better places to start with a custom build. I would sell it on Ebay and use the proceeds to get the parts you need.

Back