• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Just about fed up…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This idea is not too popular amongst some folks. But I had this same problem with a CVA or two and a Traditions in the past. I know, a little different breech design. I took the nipples out and used a drill bit just above the size of the existing hole and drilled the nipples out. Never had another problem with these guns. I think in these instances the replacement nipples I had purchased weren't properly drilled.

Edit: I was referring to drilling out the tiny hole in the bottom of the nipple, not the larger opening in the top...
I do that with all my nipples on my percussion guns, going up to about a .031 and that has solved all the problems with misfires using 777 or pyrodex.

? if you drop a powder load down bore & hand slap powder over under nipple. Pull nipple & look to see if you actually have powder there. I knew a man whom was at the rifle range one day. He was have bad time with his ignition. Turns out the was a cleaning patch down in the BP area causing the problem.

? if you drop a powder load down bore & hand slap powder over under nipple. Pull nipple & look to see if you actually have powder there. I knew a man whom was at the rifle range one day. He was have bad time with his ignition. Turns out the was a cleaning patch down in the BP area causing the problem.
"So that's where that went" 🤔🤣

I traded for a CVA Hawken .54 that blew the hammer back to half cock on every shot. Someone had drilled out the nipple so it was a cylindrical hole all the way through and the charge pressure was cocking the hammer. A new hot shot nipple solved the problem. A fair amount of smoke can come back through a hole that big!

Assuming the nipple is the proper application for the ML, It’s darn near a certainty the ML either has an obstruction somewhere that **sometimes** happens after you load (for whatever reason) or it’s the inferior components that you are using.
It's either the nipple, an obstruction or cap quality. Regards obstruction, there can be enough blockage to keep the powder from getting close enough to the nipple and still allow a snapped cap to move the paper.

I would make sure the t-shirt you are using for patch material is 100% cotton…very few are these days. If it has any polyester or other synthetic material, I would guess that you have melted plastic fouling that is falling back into your barrel when loading and plugging up the plumbing.

Latest posts

Back