• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kentucky flint boar

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking boar. Shot a few down here, but wasn't brave enough to use my smoke pole.

Sorry for the flipped pick. I'm in camp still and on the thmart phone with minimal reception. Load was 75gn fffg. Shot was 60 yards hard quartering away. Placement was perfect. He died on the spot. Tried to recover ball but one of those mystery ones that I couldn't find.

Rifle is Pedersoli Kentucky flint. I kept walking over a few gullies and came onto a mob of feral goats and shot a young billy at 60 yds also. I am really enjoying my flinters. Not enjoying photo bucket by phone though.

I have a primitive camp set up where I can blaze away all day getting everything shooting sweet. Got my 40 cal sth Mt rifle on the bull. Now looking to shoot something bigger than a rabbit! Middle of winter in one of the coldest spots in the state and I'm in shorts & t shirt! Can't beat good weather.

Well I got my wish. Snuck in on two young boars feeding near a dam right on dark. Struggling to see the freshly filed front sight I waited until he was broadside and drilled him through the heart. He started crabbing and fell over in about 20 yards.

I didn't have a camera so bled gutted and hung him for some camp meat. Not that I'm starving. Can hear pigs fighting in the dark now as I cook tea. Will see if I can recover 40 cal ball tomorrow. Be interested to see what it did. No exit wound that I could see.

The 25kg or so young boar I shot with the 40 right on dark. Shot was as 30 yards and he ran maybe 10 yards.

I had a look at the carcass the next afternoon and there were 3 foxes on it. Two were so full they could hardly move and another one tugging at the pig. I slowly snuck into 40 yards and gave a few mouse squeaks with my hand and the closest one came running towards me. At five yards in can only imagine what he was thinking as he looked down my barrel! One less lamb killer.

Yesterday I had the farmers kids come stay at camp. We went back to the carcass which had been demolished bones and all. They were mesmerised as I called in a fox to twenty five yards.

We spent the the afternoon sitting on a pig trail then saw a group of pigs on the next ridge. We got to within 40 yds of a nice young boar which then smelt us. He trotted off to 80 yards and stopped to give me a quick shot

He was hit hard but ran off a few hundred yards. I shot twice more than lost him in the long grass and darkness. We got a shock when he stood up at five yards clacking his tusks. Lucky it was a full moon and as he charged I shot him down through the eye.

I for one really enjoy reading your hunting stories. Especially hunting pigs! Thank you for sharing and keep them coming. I never get bored of them. Hunsfoot

Congratulation for all yours trophies. Great mode of hunting. I feel envy because I haven't got my Hawken yet.

Regards and good hunting,

Avan.

Back