• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kibler Brown Bess?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a Kibler Brown Bess kit?

• Yes

Votes: 89 70.6%
  • No

Votes: 37 29.4%

• Total voters
Jim Kibler asked the question on if he should consider offering a Brown Bess musket kit in the future. I am making this poll to further the discussion. What are your thoughts on the matter? Would you like seeing one? And if so, which model of Bess would you be interested in?

-Smokey

Long land first model, (without getting into the specific long land details) there are no really good options for folks out there beyond a custom or Indian gun. Huge opportunity.

Here is my thought on this: The majority of people that use a Bess are the new reenactors and they don't care what it truly represents as long as it looks like a Bess and goes boom when the trigger is pulled. If they stay in the "game" for some time, then they will want something that DOES look like a real Bess. These are the people that will want a Kibler or other high-quality Bess. How many of those are out there - who knows? For me I would one as a wall hanger and not cost me an arm or a leg.

If kibler quality lives up to it's reputation he would need to lower it to military grade to be historically correct.

Before seeing another manufacturer making another bess I would like to see something Spanish. Historically they were all over America and your only options are extremely limited from India or custom from TRS.

If kibler quality lives up to it's reputation he would need to lower it to military grade to be historically correct.

Before seeing another manufacturer making another bess I would like to see something Spanish. Historically they were all over America and your only options are extremely limited from India or custom from TRS.

I’m not familiar with the Spaniard’s pieces. Which one should bye recreate?

Here is my thought on this: The majority of people that use a Bess are the new reenactors and they don't care what it truly represents as long as it looks like a Bess and goes boom when the trigger is pulled. If they stay in the "game" for some time, then they will want something that DOES look like a real Bess. These are the people that will want a Kibler or other high-quality Bess. How many of those are out there - who knows? For me I would one as a wall hanger and not cost me an arm or a leg.

For most of my Brown Bess Projects, it’s either an Early Long Land or a Pattern 1756 long land or alternatively a 1728 charleville. People are really interested in that early war period with battle road, Ticonderoga, Bunker Hill etc.

That question as to which Model to offer would be a contentious point; re-enactors doing various periods would want their favorite Model!! Maybe choosing a variant that covers the most "mileage" would have to suffice.
That would be rather hard to do. The models that were common for the F&I war were not all that common for the AWI. Yes, there were some older versions in use by Crown forces and more so for the Colonials, but the average Redcoat was carrying either a 1756, 1769 or 1777 variant.

That would be rather hard to do. The models that were common for the F&I war were not all that common for the AWI. Yes, there were some older versions in use by Crown forces and more so for the Colonials, but the average Redcoat was carrying either a 1756, 1769 or 1777 variant.

A lot of those older guns were used up by the end of 1776 too and replaced by French guns.

if i could chose one musket that was used probably for the entire duration of the War it would probably be a 1756 long land.

Latest posts

Back