• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Kit Carson Hawkin project update

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bioprof

62 Cal.
Reaction score
Since there has been some questions about building Hawkins rifles from parts sets, I thought I'd give my review of the Kit Carson precarve from TOW. This is my second rifle I've put together from TOW parts. The first was a Vincent halfstock. Their catalog doesn't recommend the Hawkins rifle as a first project, because of the underrib installation. From my perspective, the Kit Carson project has been easier than the Vincent kit because the long tang is almost completely inlet in the Hawkin precarved stock. All I had to do was to shave a little wood from the side of the inlet and the tang dropped in almost perfectly. The Vincent precarved stock wasn't hardly inlet at all for the tang. So far I've inletted the barrel, the breech plug and tang, installed the barrel loops, estacheons, and fitted the barrel keys. Everything looks good so far. More later. :peace:

How about some photos? Sounds very interesting...I have been thinking about purchasing a TOTW kit rifle soon...when I get some extra cash gathered up. I am thinking about a smoothy. :front:

Bioprof,
would love to see some pics of that Vincent if you can.

Hank

This is the only picture that I have available. I lost the cord to connect my camera to my computer. Hopefully, it will show up sometime soon, so I can post more pictures of this work in progress.

hawkintang.jpg

Back