• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R American Classic vs Chambers Deluxe Siler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question,..... How do the two compare

They don't. I haven't found any of Caywoods lefties to work except for the one with the bow and arrows on the tail. The rest don't work.

I've never seen and L&R that had enough of a mainspring to give good sparks. I've made a couple servicable, by re-bending the main spring.

Interesting. I'm repeating, but the L&Rs I have seen, and used, sparked reliably and beautifully.
I would try a Chambers. Their reputation is great.

CrossXstix said:
Being a Lefty, the Deluxe is unavialable and most likely never will be, according to Jim, because the Deluxe uses parts from his other Right handed Locks.

Danny Caywood makes a Left Hand Queen Anne style lock similar to the Chambers Queen Anne, that I would like to use for a Early Virginia style rifle.

Question,..... How do the two compare.

X
David

You might want to change references to Caywood's locks into past tense. I understand his lock maker is no longer with him. Obviously he will have to make changes in his offerings.

My only experience with (the two) locks has been with Chambers locks and they are great locks. As a result I can't absolutely vouch for L&R. At the times of the builds they required various models of Chambers locks for one reason or another. I must say, however, that based upon recommendations from a respected writer/experimenter as well as others, I would use an L&R lock without hesitation or reservations. I see the choices as basically a win, win situation; about equal, in other words.

My first flinter was built with a L&R Classic. It was a piece of dung. It broke a main spring right away, then over the next 10yrs. it was good AFTER I sent it to a L.C.Rice to do his magic on it. @ yrs. ago it broke a sear spring and the gun went off because of that sear spring. Lucky muzzle control was being exercised. I currently have 7 L&R locks total. It it weren't for needing a left hand lock, I wouldn't have any of them. But, as long as there is a lock man to rework them, I am ok with them. On the Chambers/Siler locks , there doesn't seem to be anything to do except enjoy them.

On lock choices: if the period, style and size of the lock for your build matters and is different between makers, you'll often do well to explore a wide range of products from different suppliers. If styles of 2 locks by different makers are essentially the same and pricing is similar, most would advise you to go with the best warranty/common reputation. When everybody uses the same lock on longrifles, it sure gets boring to me.

I would choose a Chambers lock over any other lock maker any day of the week. There is no comparison.

There is no comparison until one does a comparison. I agree, Chambers locks are wonderfully assembled and they have some wonderful designs and they stand behind and give great service for all their products. There are plenty of non-Chambers locks that work very well or wonderfully, and certainly as well as many Chambers products. There is experimental evidence for this in trials of locks that are timed. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence like my L&R Durs Egg that has been working great since 1978. My only point is that whenever someone chooses to use only one supplier, many good options are missed. If one was to build a Brown Bess, which Chambers lock would you suggest? Or since this is a flintlock rifle forum which Chambers lock would you suggest for a Bedford rifle?

One thing Roy showed me early on, most any lock has the potential to be a good reliable lock. Depending on the time spent on it by a good lock smith. Some need more than others but that shouldn't stop people from using the appropriate lock for whatever style gun they building or having built.

I have used more L&R locks than all the others combined. Mainly because of the options, and the options afforded to lefthanders. But, something has slipped over there, they need to review and re-tool, from the quality of castings to the jigs their assemblers are using. Some of their locks, as received these days, are virtually unusable. I hope they do! I like their locks. I like the fellows that you talk with when you call them. But, for the same money, I can buy a Chambers, or Davis as now processed through M&G, Where I KNOW it will function right out of the box. These days, if there is anyway around using a L&R lock, I will take it. Even if it means spending hours reshaping the profile to suit my needs. I truly wish them well, and hope they turn things around.
Robby

Given the choice of the two locks I would take the Chambers. But Jim does not have all of the lock styles. I will use a L&R lock if the build calls for a certain style of lock. I do spend more time working on a L&R lock than I do with any other.. unless its totally from castings. If you decide to use the Deluxe Siler buy it directly from Chambers. :v

M&G is Larry Zornes Mold and Gun shop in southern Ohio. My main rifle wears a Davis "Twigg" that I have had zero complaints with.

Rich Pierce said:
There is no comparison until one does a comparison. I agree, Chambers locks are wonderfully assembled and they have some wonderful designs and they stand behind and give great service for all their products. There are plenty of non-Chambers locks that work very well or wonderfully, and certainly as well as many Chambers products. There is experimental evidence for this in trials of locks that are timed. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence like my L&R Durs Egg that has been working great since 1978. My only point is that whenever someone chooses to use only one supplier, many good options are missed. If one was to build a Brown Bess, which Chambers lock would you suggest? Or since this is a flintlock rifle forum which Chambers lock would you suggest for a Bedford rifle?

Chambers gunmakers lock.

You can buy the Chambers lock & it will work from the get-go. Or, you can buy the L&R, then buy about $75. worth of new parts & shipping expenses, work on it a couple of weeks & maybe, just maybe it will work, but IMHO, it will never as good or as reliable as the Chambers lock.

Also, the Chambers lock has a "Lifetime Warranty". And it is so simple. If you have an issue with it (and I doubt you will) you send it to Jim & he fixes it & sends it back in a day or two after receiving it, for FREE. :thumbsup:
To the best of my knowledge, none of the other lock companies will give the service that Chambers does.....
I have successfully used over 50 Chambers locks, so I am not guessing or speculating on their quality.....

Now I will say when you produce thousands of locks, you are going to have one fail now & then.... but they have Always... made it right immediately & promptly & no hassles what so ever... 12-15 locks back, I had one break a mainspring as soon as I got it. I called Jim & 2 days later I had a new spring, no problem, no hassle, it was done.

Keith Lisle

Sounds familiar...a pretty experienced builder from down Arkansas way recommended the Chambers Deluxe Siler when I was having my first Early Virginia built, and after the first one, every additional lock of mine has been a D/S as well...just outstanding, and every one flawless right out of the box.
Never tried an L&R lock, but with Virginias and Lancasters I never had a need to look beyond a Deluxe Siler so Flintlock life is good for this boy...

Well I finally decided to go with the Deluxe Siler over the L&R. There was a lot of good input here and I really appreciate it. Sounds like I made a good choice. Thanks everyone!

I have an L&R Queen Anne lock (right handed) on my Early Lancaster rifle and it is a sweetheart. Smooth, fast, lots of sparks, extremely reliable. Got the rifle from tg here on the forum and I don't know if he did any tuning to the lock, but it's superb.

I sent the lock into L&R a couple of years ago after I lost the frizzen spring (my stupidity, not theirs). They replaced the spring for the price of the part and said they'd go through the lock for me at that the same time. I had it back to me within a week with a note included that said, "nice lock." And...it is.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

I just ordered a L&R replacement lock for my Lyman GPR today. The lyman lock will not hardly spark at all. The thread is not making me feel to good about my purchase. It's got to be better that the factory lyman. I hope I am not just putting more money into a wall hanger. :(

Latest posts

Back