• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

L&R American Classic vs Chambers Deluxe Siler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two rifles with the L&R classic and two with large Silers. I am happy with how all four rifles perform. The only difference I see between them is the L&Rs give slightly longer flint life. May have something to do with roller on the frizzen? I also used a Chambers Early Germanic lock on a smoothbore that I built and I have to say it is a marvelous lock. If I were you, I'd go with the Chambers lock.

Rifleman1776 said:
The roller on the frizzen is a gimmick, in my opinion
I have to agree. Really not needed. But I like having it on my old English lock. Many (most?) of the old-old-old presentation grade guns had them and I like the idea of emulating those.
Sumptin' like engraving. Wonderful to have but won't make yer gun shoot enney better.

A roller on a frizzen is just one more thing that can break. Not needed in my opinion.

Even as a newbie, I can confirm that the Siler is the better lock. That said, I put an L&R RPL in a Traditions gun as it is a fairly easy swap and while I have no experience with Lymans, Crazy Horse, I think you you will be pleased with the huge difference you will notice with your L&R RPL, for me it is like night and day. I get enough spark every time. My Siler wearing rifle is noticeably better and quicker than the L&R.
My view is from my experience, the casting quality is better with the Chamber's locks, and this is most obvious when cleaning and sanding/polishing the locks to get them ready to install. Much more work is involved with the L&R. There are flaws with the L&Rs castings that I have yet to see with any of the half dozen Chambers I've cleaned and polished.

Latest posts

Back