• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Largest Bore ML Made

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozark57

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the largest ML bore, smooth or rifled, that you have seen? I saw some huge guns at the Tulsa gun show last fall.

4 bore wall gunne, there's some scottish brigade running around the state that has one. It's a matchlock. Bout' 7' long, 5' of it barrel!
Cannon, 4" rifled bore, I've seen those guy's knock a pumpkin off a 55gal drum at 400yrds, surprisingly with only a 1/4# pancake charge.

Well are you asking about shoulder fired, individual served or crew served guns? The largest bore diameter crew served muzzleloader is likely the Tsar howitzer in Russia with a 890 mm (39 inch) tube. Closer to home, the largest that I know of on US soil is the 20 inch Rodman cannon (1864) that is still on display at Fort Hamilton in the New york harbor. For shoulder fired, the largest that I have seen is a 4 bore but I think that there are some 2 bores out there. For individual served, possibly a 4 pounder naval swivel howitzer.

I was thinking in terms of a shoulder fired gun. I saw what looked like huge fowlers. But a 4 bore? Be like a giant bench rest gun?

I've actually seen some HUGE ML smooth bores that were built in the late 1800's and early 1900's that were called "PUNT GUNS". Some were set up to be shoulder fired from the bow of small boats. These were used almost exclusively by MARKET hunters to kill large numbers of waterfoul. They would quietly drift up on rafts of ducks and blast em on the water, killing hundreds w/one shot. I believe the bores were beyond any guage measurement. They were also crudely built.
Jon

Here's a 4 bore I built probably a decade ago.
wall_gun_1.jpg

I have a Belgian 1950s African trade Blunderbuss in 4Ga.
Short barrel and with 100grn of 2F powder and 2Oz of shot, it hurts to shoot it!
But I still do for fun. :youcrazy:

I just posted photos of my 18 pound 4-gauge rifle on the "Percussion Rifle" section.

Bring it down and lets shoot it! I'm building a .22 ML so we can compare notes!

Bill that's a great idea...my old joints need warmer weather before I can make everything work. I need a rb mold for the 1/4-pounder. I made a .22 muzzleloader using an airgun barrel and electric ignition...was kinda fun shooting...just a much longer delay than most flintlocks. Sure didn't take much powder per shot. What barrel are you using? Sounds like a fun project that can be done inside where it's warm. ha

There is a guy who always has a table at the local gun shows. He has a display "Walker" revolver in 12ga on his table. Claims he's fired it.

I got to fire a 4-bore wall gun at Friendship last year. It looked like a Bess on steroids. We were firing reduced power loads of about 200 grains IIRC, and shooting from a tripod. One guy did shoot it offhand.

I've seen a few 4 and 6-bore rifles. Heard of 2-bore rifles.

While not the largest bore, the heaviest shoulder launched BP projectile I know was a 10,500 grain harpoon from a solid bronze/brass smoothbore used by coastal native whale hunters in Alaska. The photos and article by its then current owner appeared in a gun annual about 30 years ago.

Back