• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Last of the Mohicans

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The seige was shot at Lake James, NC. An area was cleared near the shore, a fort and trenchworks built, and then everything was dismantled after shooting. They replanted the area with trees, and today you'd never know there was once a fort there.

Davy said:
Thanx Claude .. I find it intersting that no really good photos are avail of it! :hmm:

I found another in my files.

killdeer.jpg

I have a little photo (somewhere...) of Lewis holding the rifle. It is MUCH slimmer and more attractive than the above gun, though it does still have that sideplate, which was described as "Hokey" by Mr. Watson himself!!!

The movie producer was Michael Mann (the Miami Vice guy?).

Yeah, it's rare to expect a Hollywood director to be more interested in portraying actually correct things than in portraying what they want to believe was correct. Still was a great movie. Sound track was awesome.

. . . this Lehigh thing you saw in the movies.

Pul-Lease, don't try and park it there. :nono: Check with P.D.Q. Albrecht, Andreas' cousin, or that J.P. McCoy feller's ancesters.

Surprised they didn't show him holding it sideways and firing it with the lockplate up. "Boyz in da Woods." :rotf:

Yea, it's the Miami Vice guy.

I always thought Lewis would have looked so much better carrying an Edward Marshall style rifle or even a John Schreit.
It's my wifes second favorite movie, right behind Gone With The Wind.

Regards, Dave

Does anyone know what Uncas and the father (I won't try to spell his name) were carrying? It looks like Uncas has a Tulle, but im not positive.

Aaahhh, Gents!
My DVD copy arrived today from[url] Amazon.com[/url]. today! :bow: TNFrank posted the link. When I clicked on it I decided I had to have a copy. I haven't viewed the flick since 1993. :hatsoff:
volatpluvia

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a heck of a good link. It's supprising what you can find when you google something. :thumbsup:

Just as a side note in the paper I read that Chimney Rock is up for sale and the State is trying to low ball them by offering only 20 million and they are asking like 60 or something. Unfortunatley some land developers are interested as well and are willing to paythat. Lets hope that never happens that is beautiful land.

Lake James is a pretty area.They filmed the last scenes of The Red Dawn there,when the soviet sub comes into a nightime bay.The next movie I want to see again is Jeramia Johnson and that 50 cal.hawken. Squib

squib load said:
Lake James is a pretty area.They filmed the last scenes of The Red Dawn there,when the soviet sub comes into a nightime bay.The next movie I want to see again is Jeramia Johnson and that 50 cal.hawken. Squib

I think you will find that the 50 cal Hawken is a CVA Mountain rifle.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

MadBrad said:
Just as a side note in the paper I read that Chimney Rock is up for sale and the State is trying to low ball them by offering only 20 million and they are asking like 60 or something. Unfortunatley some land developers are interested as well and are willing to paythat. Lets hope that never happens that is beautiful land.

nothing is sacred to dirt whores :cursing:
you should see what they are doing to the rocky mtns :cursing:

Ranger,
I finally got around to viewing the DVD yesterday.
It is pretty good, but I must admit that there are many sequences that are pure Hollywood. In a real fight I can't imagine the contender that needs to make one finishing blow on his opponent standing there staring the man in the eyes while he makes up his mind to finish the job. That is an old Hollywood trick and this flick was full of it.

Either my ears have got to the point that I just can't understand my TV anymore or the sound quality of the voice stream was very poor. I am thinking about viewing it in one of the other languages so I can read the subtitles in English. I would dearly like to know what they said some places.

It does bear watching a few more times.
volatpluvia

This really isn't a reply to anyone specific, but wanted to get in through a crack. Watched the LOTM again for the 2nd time this week, and I don't know if it was discrempancies in filming or what, but sometimes there would be a shoulder strap on Killdeer, and sometimes it wouldn't. Never showed him putting it on or taking it off. My question, instead of having swivels for straps, which I couldn't make out on the movie, could they be using, would it be historically correct, to construct a strap with loops on each end to fit over the butt stock and barrel and be snugged down for transporting? Thinking about doing that for my firearm. It would have to be removable, I'd think the strap looped around the barrel would get in the way of the front sights. Any thoughts? Anyone?

Latest posts

Back