• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Le Mat revolver - trigger assembly question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaty

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello there (again!)...

I am now working on the trigger assembly for my Le Mat (second model) 3D model...

Can anyone check/correct my initial rough diagram of the major components please?

lemat_trigger.gif

I am having two major problems:-

1] Understanding how the cylinder lock works (I have put in my impression how it might work on this drawing in light blue)...

2] Secondly the pawl - I presume it goes through a slot to connect with the cylinder advance???

--- I realize my drawing is rough and not 100% accurate, but as long as it illustrates an authentic action or roughly the correct shapes I will be happy.

Thanks for everyones patience and assistance in my project.

(PS - I know that the 'Navy' title was a contemporary title given by a replica maker - but it helps me distinguishes the various model.)

I don't have one to look at now but there is a step on the front of the trigger. the trigger return spring fits under the trigger guard and engages this step.

Locking Bolt. In order to avoid one of Colt's patents, they didnt use the customary bolt that engages notches in the side of the cylinder. Instead, the bolt is a straight pin with a coil spring arround it that enters the right side of the frame under the grip pannel and engages round holes in the back of the cylinder. It opperates from the hammer cam which is a circular flat spring inside the right side of the frame. engagement of the cam to the bolt is adjustable by way of a smallscrew on the right side of the frame
blank.jpg

I've adjusted my drawing to try and reflect your instructions, mec...

I realize that the cylinder lock is very simplified!

lemat_trigger2.gif

May I ask an additional question please?

The cylinder lock would be in the 'locked' position (fully extended into the cylinder) when the hammer is 'fully cocked' - BUT retracted when the hammer is either 'down' or in 'half-cock' to allow the cylinder to turn freely for loading, correct?

Cheers...Beaty

It's forward locking the cylinder when the hammer is all the way down or all the way cockd. Unlocked for free wheeling on half cock.Just like the other familiar single actions. The cam slots visible in the pture mate with a cam on the end of the circular snail-like sprng in the hammer. the cam adjustment screw just pushes against the cam/spring/snale to move it back and forth so that it will drop right into the locking holes on the back of the cylinder
In my pictures, I have turned thehammer around backwards so that you can see the hammer cam.

Gotcha!

:) - took me a while (and half a dozen doodles!), but I understand now.

Thanks mec.

(My next component will be the ram-rod/loading-lever...I think understanding the compound linkage will have me foxed!)

:)

PS - I tried to avoid all these technicalities by purchasing a non-firing replica of the Le Mat. But as luck would have it the factory that makes them - DENIX - had a major fire and their moulds of the Le Mat were destroyed! :cursing:

SO now you can't buy a replica of the Le Mat in the UK for love nor money! :(

Latest posts

Back