• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead is getting harder to get!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here at least, lead is getting harder to find and obtain.
It is deemed to be hazard material. No longer in wheel weights.
Even scrap metal dealers no longer sell it to the public.
How are you guys doing?
Fred

Saw this lead scare ignorance coming a while back an began buying then. Im in good shape on that matter :thumbsup: Suggested to some folks that they need to get em some if they wanted to shoot lead in the future and I was told I was just paranoid :youcrazy: Now I have couple hundred lbs at a pretty decent price an they have very little an if they can find it will give an arm or leg. Now who's :youcrazy: I have come to believe that if you like a product really well then you better stock up if possible cause the company that makes it or our good ole government will either stop making it or outlaw it. But then again what do I know :youcrazy:

Thats why at gun shows I tend to pick up the 1/2 boxes of round balls that a vendor is trying to sell dirt cheap. I have bought boxes with 25 .457's for a buck or so. .58 cal round ball box for 3 or 4 dollars. It's getting so the size doesn't really matter, I see it as meltable stock for what I do use. I think I have 3-5k of lead round balls. and maybe 20 pound of mass lead.

Used to know an old guy that owned a tire store and he would give me five gallon buckets of wheel weights if I would cast whatever bullets he needed when he needed them. Got buckets of it let so in good shape that way. May want to watch for re-roofs or demos of older houses. Lead was used in the vent stacks and most of the time the roofers just pitch these in the trash and will let you have it if you ask.

I have a good supply in the first place, but for over 5 years now I've been recovering my lead after shooting and recasting. Looks like I have a lifetime supply even if I never acquire any more. Certainly food for thought in your environment.

I was very fortunate, before I retired, they wanted to get rid of a big pile of lead radioisotope shipping containers. I could have all that I could carry out of the plant. For days, I carried out as many of the containers as I could. I stockpiled a few hundred pounds of the containers and melted them down and cast them into 1 pound ingots. I have three wooden boxes of them. I don't know how much each box weighs but when we moved, the movers had to use dollies to move them. Sure glad I got it while it was available......and FREE!!! I'll never use it all and will probably leave at least one, and likely more, of the boxes to my kids when I slip off this mortal coil.

Oh, by the way, it is not radioactive, I checked before I took it home.

I've got about a ton and a half I picked up for a sailboat keel, for a boat that never got built. I don't think I'll run out in this lifetime!

Jamie

You need to be creative, thinking wise and get lead from places that have scrap. Sometimes we have to resort to harder leads or whatever we can find. Gun ranges, Xray and old tire shops. Maybe junk yards that have old WWs still on the rims. Glass shops that do the stained glass windows, radiator shops are just a few places.

I think Plumber's still use lead, as I read this and called a local Plumber Supply Company and they still sell 25# 100% lead ingots in 100 pound links.

Rick

I was lucky enough to attend a farm auction years ago and the deceased had been a muzzleloading enthusiast in the 1960's. Long story short I purchased about 500 pounds of pure lead at that sale for a song. My wife thought I was nuts as we loaded it in the back of the car and probably most of the folks at the sale did too, but I don't need to worry about lead for the foreseeable future.

I like to think it is because I'm so darned brilliant. :rotf: But, others may not agree :idunno:

On an average day I bet a person walks right by lead without knowing it at least a dozen times.

Lead, lead based materials and substitutes are everywhere. You just have to know them when you see them.

Well any metal that you can melt and mold can make a bullet.
None of the metals are as good as lead, but I am pretty sure a large caliber hole in a bambi will work regardless of the metal that did the damage.

Roundballs experiments with brass roundballs shows the proof to that idea.

durin' the fracas with the redcoats people were known to melt down their pewter plates & trays & such for somethin' to stuff in their muskets & blunderbusses.

Back