• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Lead Poisoning From Casting Bullets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4deer

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Someone from my Church has been giving me lead sewer pipes for melting down for casting balls. Last Sunday he was talking to my Mother and asked her if she is comfortable with me melting down lead. Now my Mother is all worried and she was asking me this morning if I could just buy lead balls precast.

So my question is for those of you who have been casting lead for years. Have you ever had a blood test for the level of lead in your bloodstream and was it abnormally high?

while I admitt to not having a blood test I have not had any symptoms after over fifty years casting lead. To be safe always keep your lead temp under 800 degrees F. Lead will start to vaporise at about 920 degrees F. Even though the boiling point is considerably higher.I use an electic pot set at 750 degrees F (lead melts at 620.6 degrees F) and get nice castings. As always cast with adequate ventilation. As far as your mother is concerned mothers will always worry. Yea! Mothers are like that!

I've got elevated lead levels, but pretty careful checking has pinpointed the unventilated indoor range I shot at so many years. Thousands of rounds a month. I've been casting bullets for over 50 years too. But in the years since I quit using that range while continuing to cast bullets, my lead levels haven't gone up at all.

But I've always cast bullets with great ventilation. I also wash my hands carefully aftewards, and any time I'm handling lots of lead bullets. Name of the game, and nothing to worry about with a little sanity added to every pot of lead and bag of balls.

Trouble is I am in college and still living at home so if she tells me I can't do it I will have to respect her. So I am hoping to gets some facts I can tell her.

I want to get an electric melting pot some day right now I just use a coal fire outside and it is really hard to regulate the temperature.

Thanks for the post.

Simonthecat:

I'm 46 and my Mother doesn't want me doing it. And no, I don't live with her.

I did have an accident last summer where some molten lead spilled and burned right through my sock. The result is a half-dollar size scar on my foot. But I didn't get ill and I worry about that because of my diabetes.

Safety and ventilation are the keys. Yep mom's worry about that but there are probably worse things a college kid can be doing :)

James

Buy a thermometer for measuring molten lead temperatures. It will help you control the heat on an open fire.

Look around the flea markets for an electric grill use for pop corn popping. They are cheap enough even for college students to have one. They produce enough heat to melt lead. If you have a big grill, and small pot, it might help to use some scrap sheet metal to make a reducing flange or collar, to fit the grill, and funnel the heat to the pot. The flange will also keep you from burning your hands as you dip the lead out of it.

If you are melting lead out doors, just make sure the wind is not blowing into your face. If you are choking on the smoke, the wind is blowing into your face. ERGO, MOVE!

As to lead poisoning in adults, one of my good friends was a firearms training instructor at a local Police academy, when they were shooting in a closed, unventilated area. The College tested all the range officers and staff for lead levels, back in the 1970s, and found all had elevated levels. This lead to some renovations to the range, including ventilation and filtration systems for the vents.

He was tested thereafter annually, after being transferred to class room teaching duties, and they found his lead levels ( in his blood) dropped, and continued to drop over the next 2 years until they were well within normal levels. He completed his PhD. while all this getting rid of lead was going on, so I don't think the lead adversely affected him in anyway.

I don't know what the threshhold levels of lead in the blood are for adults, and I don't think the scientists have reached any conclusion for adults to date. The levels you see published for blood levels, by the Center for Disease Control( CDC) are for Infants, not adults.

You might point that out to your mother, too. If she remains concerned, your doctor can have your blood lead levels checked for you. He can also give you the most up-to-date information from medical research on threshhold levels for blood lead levels in adults.

In adults, lead is one of the heavy metals that your kidneys are designed to filter out, and remove from your body in your colon, along with aluminum, copper, zinc, iron, etc.
'
The problem with lead poisoning has to do with infants, who are less than 4 years old. Their brains are still developing in those early years, and the fatty tissues absorb and continue to hold lead in low amounts if they INGEST lead paint, or acquire it, almost always orally, from some other source. This retention of lead occurs during those early years AS THE BRAIN IS DEVELOPING. When the brains stops growing, it stops absorbing and KEEPING lead in its tissues.

When I was older, as a child- probably 6 and older-- we used a piece of lead as our " marker" to play Hopscotch on the sidewalk. It proved to be far superior to any kind of rock, flat or not, that others used, because it stayed PUT when it landed. The lead blackened with oxides, and were handled constantly. I am sure that some traces amounts of lead got into our mouths, and blood system from all that handling, but none of us experienced any ill effects from the experience.

You might look up Lead Poisoning on the Internet, and find some articles on the subject that can ease your mother's mind. I am sure I could find articles about the question of lead poisoning from casting balls and bullets. Mankind has been doing this kind of work for Hundreds, if not thousands of years.

The only historic deaths I have read about that have been found caused by lead poisoning, were some mariners, who were marooned in pack Ice in the Arctic Ocean, who died of lead poisoning, because the tins of food they ate had been soldered with pure lead, both at the seams, and around the lids.

The bodies were discovered on an Island in the Arctic, and found to be in much the same condition as when they were buried. Scientists thawed out the bodies, after chipping them out of their graves, performed autopsies on them, including toxicology tests, which determined that lead poisoning was the Cause of Death. A search of the camp dump uncovered the antique cans that held the foods, and the lead oxides in the joints, and traces of food still frozen, that matched the lead found in the bodies.

Other than people exposed to high levels of lead dust, on closed shooting ranges, I just don't know of any other case of adults having high lead levels in their blood from other causes.

I am sure its possible if you breathe in lead fumes, but as BrownBear notes, Lead melts at about 620 degrees, and begins to fume at a temperature over 800 degrees. Simply using a thermometer to control the temperature of the lead in your pot should be a sufficient safety margin to protect you from lead.

There are cheap styrofoam masks you can buy at hardware, and paint stores, to protect you from fumes of all kinds, also.

Stand up wind, wear good protective gloves, shirts, pants, and SHOES, along with that mask, and then shower, and wash those clothes when you finish. Brush the shoes or boots to get lead dust off of them. The gloves can be washed, too, even if they are leather. Just use cold water, and soap, and rinse them well. If they dry too much, you can soften them with Neatsfoot oil.

If you then clean up the BBQ grill with soap and water and a steel brush, you should have no problems with Lead from your casting. In fact, there are more carcinogens in soft wood like pines, than you are going to find in either hard woods,or any charcoal you might burn in the BBQ pit. Don't burn painted lumber of any kind in your grill, as the paints can contain some nasty stuff, too.

Get your base blood lead level done. It'll be for peace of mind. The buddy of a friend of mine was affected by blood lead and it was not a pretty sight until they found out what was causing his behavior at the time. When I had mine checked 54 weeks ago, something else just as deadly showed up and that's now taken care of. Had I not taken up casting I would never have gotton my blood test....and I'd be close to gone by now.

Trouble is I am in college and still living at home so if she tells me I can't do it I will have to respect her.

I would imagine you are exposed to a lot more dangerous stuff in college than melting lead! :wink:

Seriously, as others have said, temp and ventilation are the key.

The inexpensive respirators available at the hardware store will do absolutely nothing to protect you from lead fume exposure. If you want protection, you'll need to buy a good level respirator with the appropriate cannister.

Melting outdoors, with the wind blowing away from you is a good way to minimize your exposure to lead fumes, it helps to keep the temperature down as well. You'll probably still pick up some lead in your blood.

In industrial setting like lead smelters, high quality respirators are required, individuals are tested for respirator fit, and also have regular, typically monthly lead tests, and yes even with an adult too much lead is bad for you, and needs to be addressed.

On the other hand, don't forget that the industrial setting I'm discussing had people working 40 hours a week exposed to lead fumes and particles. You're seeing a lot less just by doing occasional casting. But using an appropriate respirator would be even better.

I get a bit of a kick out of how concerned we are these days about things that used to be matter of fact no-concern events. Heck, when I was a kid our science teacher used to put blobs of mercury in our hands so we could experience what liquid metal felt like! (Now they'd shut down the school and call DHEC, I'm sure.) Handling & melting lead used to be a simple thing. We just didn't breathe too much of the fumes, washed our hands, and used a little sense.

I've run ball around a campfire for a long time. And though I may have alzheimer's from it, at least I don't have alzheimer's from it. :wink:

(Apparently necessary disclaimer: This last bit was a joke, not directed at anyone, does not reflect reality, bears no resemblance to anyone living, dead, or fictional, is not endorsed by the forum or the opinion of the author, and full indemnity is claimed for all uses, public private, & imaginary.)

Good luck with your Mom. It really isn't a big deal if you just use basic precautions. :v

Homesteader said:
I get a bit of a kick out of how concerned we are these days about things that used to be matter of fact no-concern events.

Of course, there is that nagging little statistic which shows the average age sky-rocketing during the past 50-75 years since all sorts of precautions are becoming public knowledge :hmm:

roundball said:
Of course, there is that nagging little statistic which shows the average age sky-rocketing during the past 50-75 years since all sorts of precautions are becoming public knowledge :hmm:

Post factor, ergo proctor factor. We live "longer" for many reasons.

I was the laison engineer in our companies drop hammer dept. Basically the the die was kirksite & 99% of the punches were lead, when the parts came back for a second hit after anneal or heat treat, the operators would take a torch and burn the outside contact area of the lead punch for better contact with the material, this burning of the puch was the major cause of lead poisoning for the operators, but a mask fixed most of that, they went yearly for a blood test to check for lead poisoning.

simonthecat said:
Trouble is I am in college and still living at home so if she tells me I can't do it I will have to respect her. So I am hoping to gets some facts I can tell her.
You sound like a fine young man :thumbsup: --cheers zodd

Proper casting in an area with reasonable ventilation is quite safe. Most lead problems experienced by shooters come from being in indoor ranges; lead back spatter can be breathed in.

I've been casting for 45 years. I must have blood drawn every 6 weeks or so (another complaint) and no problem has surfaced. Just make sure you wash your hands after handling lead.

Tom-ADC said:
this burning of the puch was the major cause of lead poisoning for the operators, but a mask fixed most of that, they went yearly for a blood test to check for lead poisoning.
My Father works at a place where he is exposed to nickel powder so he has a few old masks from there he has brought home. I wonder if the filters in the mask would be fine enough?

Thanks for the idea of using an electric grill paulvallandigham, I'll have to look for one.

I used a Colman camp stove to cast lead balls and bullets for years, with no problems, before buying an electric lead pot. I worked in the auto industry, grinding body lead, for a coupla years with no effects, during that time. I was tested for lead contamination every 90 days, and while doing both, have never been "leaded", as the saying goes.

Just do you casting in a well venilated area, while watching the color of the lead. If the balls/bullets come from the mould with a frosty appearance, reduce the temp, otherwise, cast away.

I have been casting for over 40 years, and there is nothing wrong with me....unless you count the episode with the muffler on the tractor, last week...but I'm much better now. :rotf:

God bless

trent/OH said:
roundball said:

Post factor, ergo proctor factor. We live "longer" for many reasons.
Doesn't change my point at all

Unless you are going to munch on some lead while casting there will be no problems. The partial pressure of lead vapor at normal casting temperatures is very low and only extends about a millimeter or so above the surface.

As far as melting lead pipe you may want to melt that outside. Melt it and make ingots. I use old aluminum muffin tins. The lead in the pipe is not the problem. The accumulated gunk can raise a terrible stink that will not please your mother at all.

Back